This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think would prevent you from keeping your hundred series on the road until you die? I’m planning to keep mine unless I somehow come in to more money where I can buy a 200 for cash. I will rebuild the engine when I need to. I will rebuild the transmission when it needs to, and I will fix things that go wrong. What would prevent me from doing that? What would prevent you?

Plastic wears out after enough heat/cooling cycles. There may be less plastic on 100 series but there are enough connectors, brackets, sensors etc in there to make it a serious pain in the ass to deal with them once they start going south.

It won’t be the drive train or lack of tech that eventually drives me to sell my 100. It is going to be the pain in the ass of replacing one of the above mentioned parts every three months. Toyota makes better parts than most but they’re not immune to science.

Plastic wears out after enough heat/cooling cycles. There may be less plastic on 100 series but there are enough connectors, brackets, sensors etc in there to make it a serious pain in the ass to deal with them once they start going south.

It won’t be the drive train or lack of tech that eventually drives me to sell my 100. It is going to be the pain in the ass of replacing one of the above mentioned parts every three months. Toyota makes better parts than most but they’re not immune to science.

my issue is not about replacing those parts, but what happens when Toyota stops manufacturing those parts or when the stock runs out?

Production issues aside, I still wonder why Toyota didn't just import a "base" and "luxury" 300 series and leave the Prado/GX for Lexus?

It seems all the LC250 will accomplished is fragmenting sales between it, the 4Runner and GX. Although the 4Runner hasn't been released yet, I doubt it will substantially differ from either.

While not a bad vehicle, I don't see where the LC250 really offers anything to get excited about. I'd rather have had a $65K base 300 than a $55k Prado. (not that I could afford either anytime soon)

Of course this is all moot and 300 production seems to way behind.

my issue is not about replacing those parts, but what happens when Toyota stops manufacturing those parts or when the stock runs out?
For brackets and whatnot, I could see just making it out of metal. Things like HVAC manifold and fan shroud, I'd probably go aftermarket replacement or retrofitting newer Toyota parts.

Production issues aside, I still wonder why Toyota didn't just import a "base" and "luxury" 300 series and leave the Prado/GX for Lexus?

It seems all the LC250 will accomplished is fragmenting sales between it, the 4Runner and GX. Although the 4Runner hasn't been released yet, I doubt it will substantially differ from either.

While not a bad vehicle, I don't see where the LC250 really offers anything to get excited about. I'd rather have had a $65K base 300 than a $55k Prado. (not that I could afford either anytime soon)

Of course this is all moot and 300 production seems to way behind.

Part of me wonders if this 250 move is a hail-Mary by Toyota, knowing that the chances of bringing a base 300 to this market won't happen for years anyway due to delays and over-demand. Maybe that had been the plan, but the logistics of it are simple untenable at the moment. So, give 'em something called "Land Cruiser" to satiate the masses and be able to imply that the slot has been filled here since the 40.

Dirty trick, if that were the case.

It’s not likely to happen between Toyota and other manufacturers. As far as all the parts on the engine I’m looking to probably have to replace my engine if I’m keeping the vehicle since it has 320,000 miles on it so I will get all new plastic parts and I always keep some extras. I just don’t see not being able to get Little pieces of plastic as an issue because other things can be substituted things can be fashioned to work or manufactured 3-D printed etc. etc. If it comes down to that you’re not going to be able to get any parts for any cars.

I know it’s not a cheap vehicle to own because the gas mileage is so expensive, but it also doesn’t have a lot of the other electronic BS in it that newer vehicles have, that is likely to break before the power train. I’m 52 and I’m fairly certain this vehicle. Once I’m done with the build and eventually a new powertrain will run longer then I’ll be driving it.

That said, I could see a Day of six or seven dollar a gallon gasoline because of the government policies and at that point very few people will be able to drive an LC 100 as a daily driver.

This is in the back of my mind as well. Pretty excited about the 250 bc it will bring 200 prices down. If it’s happens to have a reliable drivetrain and good reputation after being on the market for a couple years, the 250 will be an option too.

It’s not likely to happen between Toyota and other manufacturers. As far as all the parts on the engine I’m looking to probably have to replace my engine if I’m keeping the vehicle since it has 320,000 miles on it so I will get all new plastic parts and I always keep some extras. I just don’t see not being able to get Little pieces of plastic as an issue because other things can be substituted things can be fashioned to work or manufactured 3-D printed etc. etc. If it comes down to that you’re not going to be able to get any parts for any cars.

I know it’s not a cheap vehicle to own because the gas mileage is so expensive, but it also doesn’t have a lot of the other electronic BS in it that newer vehicles have, that is likely to break before the power train. I’m 52 and I’m fairly certain this vehicle. Once I’m done with the build and eventually a new powertrain will run longer then I’ll be driving it.

That said, I could see a Day of six or seven dollar a gallon gasoline because of the government policies and at that point very few people will be able to drive an LC 100 as a daily driver.
By the time we see $6-7/gallon gasoline here (average), you'll have bigger issues than keeping your 100 on the road.

Y'all realize gas hasn't increased in price - adjusted for inflation - in over 40 yrs, right? Gas follows inflation and, other than a few blips (some big), gas is effectively always $4.20/gal.

These days with 3D printing replacing plastics is the easy part. But there will be parts that will be difficult to replace once Toyota finds it uneconomical. I recently picked up a first gen Tundra as a daily/work truck to keep miles/wear off my 100 so hopefully it will out last me.

Toyota parts will be available for longer than 100s on the US roads. Because these trucks will survive for decades in the rest of the world. Nonessential parts will get discontinued like trim pieces, interior, etc.

I just got mine, and it looks quite similar to yours, did you get the bumpers color-matched aftermarket?

Congrats - yes I had the bumpers painted black and upgraded to '06-'07 wheels.

Summed up so well! To me, at least.

Same here! This guy killed it...summed up my concerns. Great review/thoughts on 2024 LC!

$55k base model 250 plus $50k for the same gas plus more insurance costs...aint too close.
But it won't be the "same gas," it will be roughly 1/2 the fuel cost at the proposed MPG. I agree the cost of operation of a maintained 100 (including insurance and local property taxes) will be significantly less than a new 250. But, the fuel cost will be roughly 50%.

I suspect the MPG of decked out 100 vs decked out 250 wouldn't be nearly 100% difference like the stock ones. Once you add 2 bumpers, sliders, skids, 33's etc., the 4 cylinder's MPG will suffer a lot more percentage-wise than the V8. For example, my 100 dropped from 14mpg stock to 13mpg decked. I heard people with new Tundra dropped from 20mpg to 16mpg when fully modified.

Last edited:
But it won't be the "same gas," it will be roughly 1/2 the fuel cost at the proposed MPG. I agree the cost of operation of a maintained 100 (including insurance and local property taxes) will be significantly less than a new 250. But, the fuel cost will be roughly 50%.
Yes the mpg will be some degree better but you have to pay $55k+ to save mpg. It is like getting tax write offs. The govt isn’t buying your expenses. You are paying money to get a discount.

Reactions: GTV
I suspect the MPG of decked out 100 vs decked out 250 wouldn't be nearly 100% difference like the stock ones. Once you add 2 bumpers, sliders, skids, 33's etc., the 4 cylinder's MPG will suffer a lot more percentage-wise than the V8. For example, my 100 dropped from 14mpg stock to 13mpg decked. I heard people with new Tundra dropped from 20mpg to 16mpg when fully modified.
Yeah, I’m sure that aspect will all be a wash but it would be dubious to think that this land cruiser is going to last 25 or 30 years. Toyota already admits those batteries are 100 or 150,000 mile batteries. The way I drive that’s maybe seven years if I stop driving as much.

Don’t get me wrong with gas cost where they are in the mileage that my hundred series gets it hurts. But it’s far far cheaper for me to buy a small fuel efficient Toyota to commute around, then incur the cost of replacing batteries in six or seven years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom