This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a very happy Hundy owner for the past 10 yrs. My rig is an '03 with 210k miles on it that I picked up in 2013 with 88k miles. It's been fantastic to own. I started searching for the face lifted 2016+ 200 a couple of years ago, but it was hard to swallow $70k + for a used rig that in many cases already had signs of corrosion living in the salt belt.

My rig was $63k in 2003 which is $104k in today's dollars (insane). So, the 250 at $55K - $65K is interesting. It's still a lot of $, but I never thought I'd have the chance to buy a new LC.

Any other 100 owners considering taking the plunge on a 2024 LC?

On the way to HIH7:

Typical duty hauling the dogs to our favorite trails:

Sea Kayak Hauler

2024 250

Last edited:
My daughter might be the lucky recipient of a slightly modified 2006 Land Cruiser... if the 2024 Land Cruiser is as good as it looks in the media launch. So yeah, I'm paying attention.

It would be cool as long as you're okay with the HP/TQ numbers and a vastly less-servicable powertrain. I think the 1958's look really good.
But your hundy is sick. Better keep it around...value is probably only going up from here.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of the complexity of a 4 cylinder turbo hybrid, but I'm banking on Toyota's long track record of reliability, especially since it will be built in Japan at Tahara. I drive my 100 like a Grandpa so the HP/TQ of the new powertrain will be more than sufficient plus a combined 27 mpg doesn't hurt either :). I will miss the sound of the V8 with magnaflow.

It all depends on pricing up here in Canada but its definitely looking like a great replacement for my 98. Similar size, more power, better fuel economy and not to mention safer with better features.
On the other hand, having no debt/car loan is great.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of the complexity of a 4 cylinder turbo hybrid, but I'm banking on Toyota's long track record of reliability, especially since it will be built in Japan at Tahara. I drive my 100 like a Grandpa so the HP/TQ of the new powertrain will be more than sufficient plus a combined 27 mpg doesn't hurt either :). I will miss the sound of the V8 with magnaflow.
^this^

My VVTI, 4-cam, V8 is a lot more complex than the engines in earlier Land Cruisers. Yet, they're incredibly reliable and routinely making it beyond 400k without being rebuilt. I will "trust in Toyota" and make the leap to modern tech - IF the 250 is good as it appears to be. Oh, and they stick close the pricing they're reporting.

My biggest questions on the 250:

1. How good will it perform off road. It has an inch less ground clearance than the 100 and similar approach/departure angles, but appears to have less ability to modify the front and rear bumpers to improve the angles.
2. Durability. When you cut the price 50% its not because you're a charity. Although the truck shares the chassis with the GX and 300, I've got a feeling the running gear will be less robust than the 300.

^^^ this.
But I am also watching/ waiting to see how the XOverland like and use their Sequoia and Tundra. I know they’re fan boys, but the reviews and convo is generally spot on.

I've said many times....If the 4runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser were all $50k, there would no market for two of them. Guess we will find out even though it's not THE LC 300.

I'm hoping the retreat to the LC 250 will leave loads of hundys on the market. I could use them.

I've said many times....If the 4runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser were all $50k, there would no market for two of them.

Seems to be about $17k of range for each model so a SWAG is:

4runner will need to slot in at 43k - 60k
LC 250 55k - 72k
Sequoia - 60k - 77k

4runner should get the best mpg with 4WD on demand, not full time like in the LC. LC has rear locker and better towing. Sequoia has 3 rows, 6 cyl and most tow capacity of the 3. This positioning could work. If the 4runner does start at $43K, that's a big jump to get into an LC.

I don't think the 250 will be a replacement for my 100. However, it could easily be a replacement for my bride's 200. I'll test drive one the first chance I get.

I'm not rushing out to shop for new one, but I'm hoping to divest of my two current land cruisers (FJ62 & 100 series) and have a replacement sometime by 2025, so it's on the list of vehicles to continue to watch. I think it looks pretty good overall, but my overall impression is that the new LC is "fine." I can't say I'm really wowed by anything that I know at this point. It has definitely grown on me in the last couple of days so I might warm up to it or maybe I'm just not the target customer anymore.

Like they did with the older models, not sure why they didn’t mention the 250s resemblance to the 80 series. Look like my 80 to me.

046987D7-EA01-4385-9D13-172802910C60.jpeg

the 27mpg is the only compelling feature for me, and i must say it is QUITE compelling. love my 100 series but i get about 250 or so miles on a tank. I stop at what feels like every gas station on the back roads. Talk about range anxiety.

I will 100% have a TNGA platform. Won't sell my 100 though, way too much work into that thing, and I still love it.

I'll wait till the dust settles, the hype dies down a little, people realize they will be paying 6%+ interest on one, etc - then I want to cross shop them all.

If you asked me today? I want the GX with whatever hybrid they end up putting in it. That thing is sweet.

It's a prado and never be close to the quality of a LC.

I like the base model with fabric seats and no sun roof. But it is a 4 cylinder and I am ok with it but with turbo and hybrid that is not a good combination. A lot of newer prados with turbos have shown blown pistons all over the world.

It's a prado and never be close to the quality of a LC.

Exactly.

In the states Toyota is marketing this as a successor to the 80, 100, 200 which it is definitively not. I’m sure it will be a fine automobile in its own right but as we are all well aware a Land Cruiser is designed and built on a different level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom