This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Y'all realize gas hasn't increased in price - adjusted for inflation - in over 40 yrs, right? Gas follows inflation and, other than a few blips (some big), gas is effectively always $4.20/gal.

^that^ is a general CPI calculator. Gas-specific studies/reports vary a bit - from $3.60-4.10 but the basic premise is the same... gas is always around $4/gal adjusted
How can there be gas specific inflation. Do you have special dollars that can only buy gas?

Gas prices are a product of inflation alone. U.S. and foreign (yeah, we still import crude) producers dial up/down production, the U.S. taps into reserves, etc. etc... there are lots of factors at play to keep fuel prices "stable."

I still think Toyota made a mistake by not bringing the real LC (LC300) in the US. They made this decision based on the declining sales from 2015-2020ish. Just like how they made the mistake of canceling the FJ cruiser after the sale decline during recession 😂 ...

First, they failed to predict (or didn't want to take risk) with the tremendous overlanding demand in North America that took off since late 2020. Then, they also didn't foresee the US inflation (also started going way up in 2020) which has made a $90k full size LC300 a real bargain... There are a lot more people who can afford a 90k overlanding vehicle than a few years ago. And given the choices of similarly priced Wrangler 392, Ford Raptor, Grand Wagoneer, even the Land Rover Defender, G500 (which are all money pits), still many people would prefer the LC300, the sales number would likely be a lot higher than the late year LC200's. If Toyota has to cancel a truck to keep total number of trims manageable, that should be the Sequoia TRD-Pro, the cargo area can't even be made flat 😂

People (in the US) are willing to pay big money for towing capacity, big sofa seats, 3rd row, big engine, center console cooler, split tailgate, all the SUV culture stuff... 😂

Last edited:
An ideal world definitely has the LC300 and the 250 available in the U.S. Unfortunately, we don’t live in that world.

People didn't buy LC200, because why? If you can get LX570. I think LC250 is another try because many cried "LC too expensive for overlanding". $55k and judging by pictures it is no LC300 my any means. Very basic interior. I think this one might get some sales, but again, if it was me and it was between LC250 and GX, i4 and v6 - I would get GX without thinking twice for little extra. And we are back to square one - I predict people who buy new will buy GX

I definitely land opposite—I'd love simpler and lighter, and I don't care at all about towing capacity. Range is where it's at for me, so I'd be thrilled to pay 50 grand less than what the 300 costs and 10-20K (?) less than the GX. Still, I think @katit is right...GX sales will outpace LC by a decent amount.

I mean...even the Toyota version is still probably a couple of tens of thousands more expensive than a solid axle swapped 100, so...maybe in another 10 years. I'm looking forward to the changes, but I can't afford it anyway :hillbilly:

I still think Toyota made a mistake by not bringing the real LC (LC300) in the US. They made this decision based on the declining sales from 2015-2020ish. Just like how they made the mistake of canceling the FJ cruiser after the sale decline during recession 😂 ...

First, they failed to predict (or didn't want to take risk) with the tremendous overlanding demand in North America that took off since late 2020. Then, they also didn't foresee the US inflation (also started going way up in 2020) which has made a $90k full size LC300 a real bargain... There are a lot more people who can afford a 90k overlanding vehicle than a few years ago. And given the choices of similarly priced Wrangler 392, Ford Raptor, Grand Wagoneer, even the Land Rover Defender, G500 (which are all money pits), still many people would prefer the LC300, the sales number would likely be a lot higher than the late year LC200's. If Toyota has to cancel a truck to keep total number of trims manageable, that should be the Sequoia TRD-Pro, the cargo area can't even be made flat 😂

People (in the US) are willing to pay big money for towing capacity, big sofa seats, 3rd row, big engine, center console cooler, split tailgate, all the SUV culture stuff... 😂
I'm not necessarily convinced there are that many more people capable of spending $90-100K on a car today vs 5 years ago, and would more likely imagine it's because 72 and 84 and 96 month loans are now common. * It wasn't long ago that a $100k+ vehicle was very expensive, and very exclusive. Now, seems just about any pick up truck can touch that range.

But, that's just a guess. I would put money first on people making poor financial decisions over incomes increasing so much across the board. Per lenders, I'm eligible for a 7 figure home and a 6 figure car, but I also think that would be ****ing stupid of me to get in to. **

*, **: This is more from the last 1-2 years. Vehicles and homes became so pricey because lending was so cheap. I wouldn't even want to buy my own house or finance a $40k car today with current lending rates. A financed $60k 250 series today is going to cost you more in interest over 60 months than if you'd financed a $90k 200 series 2 years ago.

But, that's just a guess. I would put money first on people making poor financial decisions over incomes increasing so much across the board. Per lenders, I'm eligible for a 7 figure home and a 6 figure car, but I also think that would be f***ing stupid of me to get in to. **
I couldn’t agree more, and the average American has a terrible savings rate. Last I read it was 2.4%. Paycheck to paycheck

I am tired of seeing all the badge vehicles, TRD, trail edition, blah blah(not just Mr. T).

Give us real options like no sunroofs, no running boards, cloth interiors, less infotainment systems, A MANUAL tranny would be cool, other parts of the world still get ‘em. I know none of the above is happening… but some of the simple folks can hope right?

The 2” lift + wheels and tires for 10k markups are insane but we had people eating up all those pickups 2 years ago. Now they’re all sitting on lots.

I couldn’t agree more, and the average American has a terrible savings rate. Last I read it was 2.4%. Paycheck to paycheck
People are dumber for whatever reason. Land cruiser prices are stable adjusted for inflation, unlike gas prices.
Screenshot_20230828-182741_Brave.jpg

I think when “we” asked for a cheaper LC what we wanted was what Australia has, the GX spec (300 in this case) which starts at ≈$66k USD. Not the baby 250 LC. That would increase the spread between LX and LC and attract a different buyer.

Last edited:
Let me ask you a question. What do you think would prevent you from keeping your hundred series on the road until you die? I’m planning to keep mine unless I somehow come in to more money where I can buy a 200 for cash. I will rebuild the engine when I need to. I will rebuild the transmission when it needs to, and I will fix things that go wrong. What would prevent me from doing that? What would prevent you?
I have a 2003 LC with now 204k on it, and for me the unfortunate answer to that might be eventual body rust.

People are dumber for whatever reason. Land cruiser prices are stable adjusted for inflation, unlike gas prices.View attachment 3413822
Your numbers seem a bit off, in that I don’t remember any (new) $46,370 LC/LX in 1998, but I pretty much agree. I was always amused with the rising prices of 80-series, where after 2 years and 24k mi, I could’ve sold my 94 80-series for original purchase price, in 96.

Your numbers seem a bit off, in that I don’t remember any (new) $46,370 LC/LX in 1998, but I pretty much agree. I was always amused with the rising prices of 80-series, where after 2 years and 24k mi, I could’ve sold my 94 80-series for original purchase price, in 96.
I googled base price for 1998 land cruiser.

Reactions: jLB
This is from a new 1999 LC

68BBDC83-F81F-44E0-9CE0-0F0337F7409E.png

I googled base price for 1998 land cruiser.
Yep, but the problem with that approach is a base “poverty pack” LC was pretty much nonexistent in the US. Most had $5k-7.5k of near mandatory options.

Yep, but the problem with that approach is a base “poverty pack” LC was pretty much nonexistent in the US. Most had $5k-7.5k of near mandatory options.
I was comparing it to base price of new landcruiser. So it doesn't really matter if you can't actually buy that, it is the standard for comparison. Now we don't have to argue what are "near mandatory options". Land cruisers haven't gone up in price. The Fed and the USG have inflated away the value of your dollar.

I was comparing it to base price of new landcruiser. So it doesn't really matter if you can't actually buy that, it is the standard for comparison. Now we don't have to argue what are "near mandatory options". Land cruisers haven't gone up in price. The Fed and the USG have inflated away the value of your dollar.
Not arguing, I thought I’d already said something fairly similar earlier in this thread. I was just pointing out that when I was shopping new LC/LX, in 98, prices were well above $46k.

My 94 80 series was ~$36k new. In 97 or so, when I was going through a divorce, I remember ~$55k. My 06 LX was ~$70k new. I wonder what those prices convert to in 2023 $?

$36k in 1994 ~= $75k today
$55k in 1997 ~= $104k today
$70k in 2006 ~= $105k today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom