Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
I've gotten enough done to my new truck that I could fill a few posts about it.

For those unfamiliar with my Cruiser Saga, a nutshell:

Purchased a beautiful '99 LX470 about 2 years ago. Totalled it in July when a vehicle swerved from my lane to reveal another one stopped right in front of them. RIP Gloria. The day later, I bought a 2000 LC and started building it up. 2 weeks after installing my lift and a ton of other work, I was rear ended by a dump truck and pushed into a semi. RIP Gira.

But NOW!!! After a few weeks of anxiety and knowing every single 100 series for sale in the country, I was able to pick up a 2005 LX470. Bone stock, 2 owner, VA car its whole life (the good parts, not the snowy parts). Stack of dealer maintenance records, 210K, and disgusting as all get out. A buddy bought it for me at the local dealer auction and I traveled up to VA to pick her up a few weeks ago. Prior to my pick up we had the timing service done, as well as a new radiator. I still have the new metal heater Ts to throw in this week.

As I found her:

The truck was a dog hauler. And messy people hauler. I take my dog with me to the office every day and have never seen any of my vehicles look remotely close to this. The first day I had her, my mom and I ripped all of the interior out, much of the trim, the console, switches, etc and cleaned everything we could possibly touch. I wish the filth showed up on camera better but there was a solid layer of snot and slobber on most of the rear seat space. The truck was filthy enough that I was able to buy it about $7k behind book!

Purchased a beautiful '99 LX470 about 2 years ago. Totalled it in July when a vehicle swerved from my lane to reveal another one stopped right in front of them. RIP Gloria. The day later, I bought a 2000 LC and started building it up. 2 weeks after installing my lift and a ton of other work, I was rear ended by a dump truck and pushed into a semi. RIP Gira.

Uhh.. third time's the charm I guess?

Then I brought her home to ATL where I was able to get to work.

First step- Turned it into an SUV instead of a minivan by removing the running boards. I'm going to hang on to them though, because I think there could be some cool ways to reuse the original puddle and step lighting.

full

I also did a mild sensor lift and pinch weld mod. Then took her out to the mountains to get the tires a little dirty before the big work began.

Last week the fun stuff started happening. I made an appointment with my trusty shop Greer Automotive in Woodstock GA to have the AHC deleted and complete suspension installed.

Before doing that, I also had an appointment with my trusty carpet guy. He normally works on investment homes of mine but this truck needed some special attention above what I could do with my hands.

No after pics as it went straight to GAS when he finished with one seat in the whole truck.

Ended up going with Tough Dog 53MM Ralph shocks up front, 45MM TD adjustables in the rear, TD torsion bars and TB strengthening brackets, and a set of OME 865 coils while I'm still stock weight. Normally I like to do my own wrenching but knowing the fiasco I'd gone through with the last two, they cut me a too-good-to-pass-up deal to delete the AHC and install the lift.

While GAS had my truck, I was anxious and giddy and had to do something related to her...without having her.

So, I sprayed my new WKOR sliders. Decided on a self-etching primer then Bed Armor (duplicolor?) Anyway the bed liner was s***. The material is too thick for the standard nozzle they put on the can and you end up wasting half of the product when the propellant runs out. That, and it's two weeks in and still hasn't dried to a point where I'd feel confident it will hold up to any abuse. In hindsight, I should have just had them coated by the vendor and touched up with spray paint as needed.

I also checked in on the truck every few days for progress updates. These Cooper tires look awesome on the TRD wheels.

Catching up to now, the truck is out of the shop and has completed one successful road trip to VA and back this week.

Current list of mods/work:

Timing service
Radiator
Hood lift struts
Tough Dog suspension mentioned above
Trail Tailor diff drop
Trail Tailor extended sway bar end links
Trail tailor lower control arm skid plates
SPC UCAs
Pinch weld mod
TRD Rock Warrior 17" wheels
AHC delete (parts for sale, all in excellent condition. PM if interested)
Console pocket to replace AHC controller (not really a 'mod' but I know they're coveted here)
17" TRD Rock Warrior wheels
1-1.25" spacers (came with the wheels, not positive)
285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX tires with matching spare
20% ceramic tint all around and 50% on the wind shield
USA Spec bluetooth module (BTOY45 something or other)
Viper smart start

Sliders will likely go on this weekend when I have some free time, and next week I should have another cool addition going on to the truck during the holiday.

Last edited:
Catching up to now, the truck is out of the shop and has completed one successful road trip to VA and back this week.

Current list of mods are:

Tough Dog suspension mentioned above
Trail Tailor diff drop
Trail Tailor extended sway bar end links
Trail tailor lower control arm skid plates
SPC UCAs
Pinch weld mod
TRD Rock Warrior 17" wheels
AHC delete (parts for sale, all in excellent condition. PM if interested)
Console pocket to replace AHC controller (not really a 'mod' but I know they're coveted here)
17" TRD Rock Warrior wheels
1-1.25" spacers (came with the wheels, not positive)
285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX tires with matching spare
20% ceramic tint all around and 50% on the wind shield
USA Spec bluetooth module (BTOY45 something or other)
Viper smart start

Sliders will likely go on this weekend when I have some free time, and next week I should have another cool addition going on to the truck during the holiday.

Wish I could find a set of RWs that wouldn't require me to sell a kidney on eBay to raise cash to buy. They are impossible to find in Florida.

Wish I could find a set of RWs that wouldn't require me to sell a kidney on eBay to raise cash to buy. They are impossible to find in Florida.

I see some pretty reasonable sets pop up from time to time. They don't last but a few hours though. I was lucky to be able to barter some other parts to get them so they were 'nothing' out of pocket for me. Same with the new addition next week, I scored a killer deal on a typically pretty pricey part. Without these lucky finds, I wouldn't have RWs or the super secret surprise.

That LX looks more like an off road capable luxury cruiser rather than a luxury minivan. Can't wait to see it with the sliders and your next mod! Awesome job.

Thank you guys!

Nothing super cool, but I also got some nice new rubber mats for the truck. After reading some not so great reviews here of the Weather Techs, I decided to search for something else very heavy, sturdy, model-specific, and with good coverage. These came from a company called Star Diamond. I think the 4 piece set (2 fronts, 1 2nd row, 1 third row) was $140? shipped. I like them a lot, and for the price point they're definitely worth a look over some other bigger brands. There's a cargo area mat that I've yet to order but I think I will be.

Looks great! My floor is trashed also and would appreciate a deep cleaning. Rooting for lots of luck with this one!

I got my set for under 400$, I'm pretty proud of that :)

Wow. Yeah, that is definitely something to be proud of!

Looks great! My floor is trashed also and would appreciate a deep cleaning. Rooting for lots of luck with this one!

Thanks! If you were in the ATL area I'd have a guy for you.

Little update.

I was set back last weekend after a stupid, stupid mistake while installing my sliders the day before a trail ride.

FYI, old hyrdaulic lines from the AHC run very close and look very similar to hard brake lines :doh: I learned the hard way.

After a week at trusty Greer Automotive, she's back in business.

A few current shots from her natural environment:

My special surprise was also set back as I wasn't able to travel for the holiday due to the truck being down. Fun fact: there are no rental cars the day before Thanksgiving. So when I head to visit parents for Christmas, I'll have it taken care of then.

Planning to head to the mountains this Sunday to get the tires dirty finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom