FJ80 to LS400, Build Advice Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello LC Community,
A few months back I sold my 1992 FJ80 and purchased a different 1992 Toyota product, an LS400.

I do have plans of purchasing another Cruiser in the future but in the meantime (And please don't shoot me) I'd like to have some fun with my LS and lift it to fit 28-30 in offroad tires.

I'm trying to keep the build cheap so probably will go with coil spring spacers but maybe some of you know of coils that would give me an added 3 to 4 inches to fit 29s without cutting the car up.

If any of you have some suggestions on tires sizes, direct fit steel rims, or even better coils that would fit please let me know.

Thank you so much and enjoy your cruisers!

Yer gonna whut?:hillbilly:

Hahaha that is my goal!

I know this build is crazy (albeit not the first to do it/also alot of Crown Vic people have done this) but I am determined and will hopefully be able to get this done soon if cost is cheap.

Eaton spring company apparently custom makes springs to your liking but that is a little on the pricier side and I'm pretty sure they don't do it for Toyotas.

Functionality is important to me and I know the coil spacers won't give me any offroad leg up but I may go the spacer route in the meantime until I can find proper springs that will give me 3-4 inches of lift. Plus I won't have to replace the shocks with the spacers.

Your Mudders are much more helpful in this journey rather than the Club Lexus forum lol but again I appreciate any and all advice you may have.

Guess if one of you was generous enough to suggest some good sub 30 inch offroad tire/rim combo that would fit an old LS let me know.

Take care everyone!

Dodgeball GIF - Find _ Share on GIPHY.gif

Hmmm so stock LS400 tire size is 225/60 R16. Which is about a 26.5x8.75 tire.

To go to a 28.5" tire you only need an inch of clearance. To go to a 29.5" tire you only need 1.5"

I say order up a set of 225/75 16 MT's and get out the hammer and cut off wheel.

Hmmm so stock LS400 tire size is 225/60 R16. Which is about a 26.5x8.75 tire.

To go to a 28.5" tire you only need an inch of clearance. To go to a 29.5" tire you only need 1.5"

I say order up a set of 225/75 16 MT's and get out the hammer and cut off wheel.

Thank you for the specifics, sincerely appreciate it and everyone else’s help as well.

The two links that have been shared here are pretty much exactly what I’m looking for (tire size).

Being one of the earlier LS400s, my 1992 oem tire size is 205 65 15.

Here is what I was thinking of doing:
1. Order a set of coil spring spacers (Sounds like I don’t need to go more than 2.5 in lift).

2. Order up a set of off-road tires. I appreciate you doing that sizing calculation earlier but do you know if these would fit my stock 205 65 15 wheels- BFG 215 75 15? I have heard lexus people say I can run 225 width but I don’t want to rub. I’m just concerned that with even say a 3 inch lift, those bfg tires 215 75 15 will rub or I will have to cut the car. Can you tell me what your thoughts are on biggest tire size without cutting but with a lift.

Thanks for making this possible

If you are going lexus, SC430 is the way to go. Like a FJ40, you can go topless
sc430 four.jpg

Sawzall the fenders and quarters, hammer out the rear wheel well, chop and weld as needed. I hear general grabber at2's are pretty good for a budget gravel tire, and have seen them in smaller sizes (on CRV's, Subarus and whatnot).

Update with pics! :hillbilly:

Hello LC Community,

Thank you so much and enjoy your cruisers!
Did you ever finish the build? Would love to see pics and hear how you did it. I've just got a 98 LS400 and living in Harare, Zimbabwe, it needs more clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom