FJ55 Tailgate Handle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the nudge.

@J Mack - you around Boise next Wednesday (9/13)? I'll be in town for a day or two. If the offer stands, I'll swing out and borrow those samples you mentioned.

Calvin

I know Calvin @DoubleNickels has been trying to get down here to look at these handles but he has been busy with real life and hasn’t been able to do it yet.

I have another guy that has been helping me with some other projects and he has done a great job for me and is really quick. I’ve asked him about these handles and he says no problem getting them scanned in and even had a few other options for stainless printing but he is a business and someone would need to pay him for his services and the prototypes and that guy is not me. I’m willing to provide him with samples and help any way I can including test fitting samples here on my pig but you guys would need to figure out the rest. If someone wants to step up and foot the entire bill then he would be happy to give you all the files and let you have them printed somewhere else or have them printed at his source and sell to you directly.

Not trying to step on any toes here just give another potential option.

Yeah, Jim. I've the best intentions, but we all know that adage about Hell and paving...

I've been on the road six of the last eight weeks, from McCall to Hong Kong to Ohio. I really do want to assist and have the skill set to do so, just missing the time piece.

I have been without a rear tailgate handle on my 71' fj55 for months and curious if anyone knows an option besides the one on Shapeways for $600? Thanks

My theory, FWIW, is that these break because people use them to open the tailgate. I have tried to be careful with mine to always lift the handle with one hand and then pull the tailgate open with my other hand. That way there is no undue force applied to the handle.

For those of you limping along, here is my repair - won't last forever, but might get you through until you can find a reasonably priced one (post #15):

This handle is on ebay right now. It's not the handle assembly but just the handle.

When I run the part number for my '77 pig I get the following:

69250HANDLE ASSY, TAIL GATE LOCK
69230-90351

When I run the number in the ebay ad I get nothing. That doesn't mean it isn't a legit handle and for that price I think I would take a chance. The only number that's in my database is for the handle assembly and not for the handle itself.

Hope that helps.
I appreciate it but unfortunately that's not it. The fj40 is a different size. I have looked all over ebay and called soooo many shops. Nothing. And I was told the Shapeways isn't even finished up very nice. I tried getting in touch with Justin on Shapeways but so far nothing.
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2635.jpg
IMG_2636.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg

My theory, FWIW, is that these break because people use them to open the tailgate. I have tried to be careful with mine to always lift the handle with one hand and then pull the tailgate open with my other hand. That way there is no undue force applied to the handle.
Yeah, Agreed! Someone else opened my tailgate and broke it...

I appreciate it but unfortunately that's not it. The fj40 is a different size. I have looked all over ebay and called soooo many shops. Nothing. And I was told the Shapeways isn't even finished up very nice. I tried getting in touch with Justin on Shapeways but so far nothing. View attachment 3476755View attachment 3476754View attachment 3476753View attachment 3476752
Total bonehead mistake on my part. They have FJ55 tagged in the ad and I didn't bother to inspect further.

For those of you limping along, here is my repair - won't last forever, but might get you through until you can find a reasonably priced one (post #15):

I had not seen this yet, it may work... Thanks, I'll give it a try!!

Have you checked with @Denscustom1 ? He has a decent supply of parts pigs, easy to deal with, good guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom