Early fj steering wheel restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will start posting the cerakote pics tomorrow. Mark and smps80s are finished. Dyno & kreutz hope to have yours finished by friday. I started them as they arrived and ship as complete. Thank you guys for letting me practice on your wheels, I have learned a lot and appreciate it.

James

When I started experimenting with modifying carbs 25 years ago it was kind of the same. People that sent their carbs in back then, I just told them the 'tweaks' were free, just give me feedback. It took me about 6 months of doling out free mods before I was satisfied with the program and started charging for it. I learned the last of the major 'tweaks' courtesy of Jim C. about 13 years ago. But I still turn things over in my head and wonder what's worth revisiting. I ran a couple of ideas past Jim just this last summer when we were cruising together at CMCC.

I am sure you will find the same fascination with perfecting the restoration process. One day we will meet and compare notes.:beer:

Here is the first couple coats of cerakote, the steering wheel wasn't repaired 100% (it's beyond that) the color seems to have blue in it. I am going to order another black they have and try it. The process is simple enough and I think it will work if I can get a color match. The steering wheel it self was badly damaged and dried out (see pics). I'll get the other black and post pics in a few days.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I just finished @Dynosoar 's wheel, I repaired the cracks, cerakote, lightly sanded cerakote then primed and painted. I think this is going to be the best way to get the protective characteristics of cerakote and match the color. Thank you @Dynosoar for letting me experiment with your wheel, I think you're going to be happy.

I was looking for someone else to chime in on this.

Looks amazing can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks again

Dyno

Does anyone have any parts from the 2/3rd passenger seat from a 72 fj40? I'm in desperate need of this bolt. If you have one please let me know.
Thanks
Jimmy

image.jpeg

I can get you measurements to make one, but that is all.

Got my wheel back yesterday. It looks simply amazing. I am confident it will last another 50 years. The work done is impressive.

Dyno

Got my wheel back yesterday. It looks simply amazing. I am confident it will last another 50 years. The work done is impressive.

Dyno
Thanks Dyno!

Received my wheel today in the mail. I am very happy with how it looks, Jimmy did a great job! His communication was excellent from start to finish and the steering wheel looks very impressive. This steering wheel is definitely going to be the crowning jewel on my 45.

Thanks Jimmy!

Received my wheel today in the mail. I am very happy with how it looks, Jimmy did a great job! His communication was excellent from start to finish and the steering wheel looks very impressive. This steering wheel is definitely going to be the crowning jewel on my 45.

Thanks Jimmy!
Thank you very much! Your other package won't ship till Monday, I got distracted.
Thanks again
Jimmy

I have got an old steering wheel that the finish on the spokes is crumbling along with the typical cracks. Can you save it? If not, I might need to find a replacement. Crazy thing is that the horn button is in great shape
ABAED3E3-1A7F-4352-B416-FFF915B07B95.jpg

I have got an old steering wheel that the finish on the spokes is crumbling along with the typical cracks. Can you save it? If not, I might need to find a replacement. Crazy thing is that the horn button is in great shapeView attachment 1423700
I would have to see it and sand it to know for sure. I bought a wheel that I thought would be irredeemable (to practice on) once I finished it, it was pretty nice. I have a couple of wheels coming my way that I bought to restore, I'll let you know when they arrive.

Jimmy

I never heard from you about the step and the bumperettes. Its not important, but they are sitting on my shop floor as 'pending.' Should I put them back on the shelf?

If anyone is knowledgeable about cerakote, I'd appreciate any input.

I have Cerakoted most all of the removable parts on my Land Cruiser including the engine, I build firearms and have a large curing oven so most all my parts are heat cured. The heat cure is more durable and in my experience would be the best long term solution for the top coat if you can get the shade of black you’re looking for. For plastic parts we cure at 150° for three hours then it can be put right into service, if your plan is to only do steering wheels I would build a simple wooden box oven with a PID controller and top coat with heat cure.

Jimmy

I never heard from you about the step and the bumperettes. Its not important, but they are sitting on my shop floor as 'pending.' Should I put them back on the shelf?
Sorry mark, I sent off on a tangent. I do want them and will send cash next week. Once again sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom