Early fj steering wheel restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost there, I was getting ready to paint and found another fixable spot. This one had horizontal cracks in the hub and this is the 1st time I have ran into that, so I'm trying to see what works best. I started on @65swb45s wheel today also.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's the one from earlier in the thread, a few more coats and I'll ship it back to @simps80 .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I just placed an old spare horn button on there for the pic. it hasn't been finished and doesn't match the wheel.

i'll add to the thread. I recommend using a clearcoat if you aren't already. Also get yourself some 3M stuff to cut and buff out the wheels... here is what mine looked like using the same method as you.

View attachment 1404007
Thanks for the info, I'll get it and do it before I ship it back to him.

Some people will want to match their paint
i'll add to the thread. I recommend using a clearcoat if you aren't already. Also get yourself some 3M stuff to cut and buff out the wheels... here is what mine looked like using the same method as you.

View attachment 1404007
That looks great!

Jimmy will be a vendor before you know it, and we'll be saying "remember when...."
Mark,
Here's yours at the 2nd primer coat, the black makes any imperfections stand out and then another sand & prime. Sorry I'm a little behind on those that I have. I was down in my back most of last week.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Super cool you are doing this, and looks like great work, but isn't Cerakote for non-flexible surfaces? Back in my car restoration days, I would use a urethane primer and finish on flexible parts, actually going a bit shy on hardener to keep it just a bit "gooey" for plastic stuff, just a thought. NIC industries is top shelf (cerakote, and prismatic powders) so if they say it works, it likely does. I love their powder coatings, use them a lot at my shop. Keep up the great work.

Super cool you are doing this, and looks like great work, but isn't Cerakote for non-flexible surfaces? Back in my car restoration days, I would use a urethane primer and finish on flexible parts, actually going a bit shy on hardener to keep it just a bit "gooey" for plastic stuff, just a thought. NIC industries is top shelf (cerakote, and prismatic powders) so if they say it works, it likely does. I love their powder coatings, use them a lot at my shop. Keep up the great work.
I'm getting ready to practice on a junker wheel I have but they said it would work,look, and protect great. I have had cerakote on most of my guns and hope it does as well. Thanks for the info and I'll post pics of the whole process.

Looks great James.

Looking good, James! Thanks for stopping by the shop today. It's great to put faces to screen names! I'm very interested to see how the Cerakote turns out. Will be following this thread.

- Josh

Looking good, James! Thanks for stopping by the shop today. It's great to put faces to screen names! I'm very interested to see how the Cerakote turns out. Will be following this thread.

- Josh
Thanks Josh, it was great meeting you and seeing your shop.
Jimmy

I will start posting the cerakote pics tomorrow. Mark and smps80s are finished. Dyno & kreutz hope to have yours finished by friday. I started them as they arrived and ship as complete. Thank you guys for letting me practice on your wheels, I have learned a lot and appreciate it.

These look great! Nice going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom