Early fj steering wheel restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you have a cracked 72 and earlier steering wheel and want it restored, I'm on my 4th now my avitar is my second one. You pay shipping both ways and I'll have it done in two weeks. I would like to do two more and I think I will have it mastered. So if you want me to restore yours just get in touch. I use PC-7 epoxy to repair the cracks it tolerates heat & cold (expansion & contraction) best and hours of sanding with up to 2500 grit paper. If you want more pics of my work contact me.
James in Oklahoma

What do you use for paint? Just curious.

The first couple I used SEM self etching primer and SEM euro black trim (see avitar). The two I'm working on now have the same primer, I'm getting ready to ceracoat for strenght & durability then I'll go over with a semi-gloss black(SEM). I'm experimenting w/ the ceracoat to see if it looks better and is stronger. I'll send pics when done with side by sides. There's an English guy on YouTube who's process I copied I'll find the link tomorrow and post it.

If anyone wants to try, this is pretty much how to do it. I can't understand what he says (sounds Aussie) he's using as an epoxy. The hardest and most time consuming part for me is the sanding. This

I'm not going to charge anything because I'm still learning. I figure if I get 4 or 5 more under my belt I would consider myself atleast semi-pro. There's a guy on here who makes the Toyota horn button center, I've ordered 4 of them. If your going to restore your steering wheel and your center piece is cracked/old you might want to check him out. I'll find the link.

image.jpeg

He makes the horn button centers

image.png

I'm thinking the test of time will tell, especially when using on a manual steering vehicle. I had a steering wheel restored for a 1948 Jeepster, cost me over $300.00, had it done by a "Pro" in San Diego. Then the restored steering wheel cracked all over the place before I got the vehicle completed. I don't know if the new cracks were in the places the restore took place, or if they were new cracks in new areas???

I'm thinking the test of time will tell, especially when using on a manual steering vehicle. I had a steering wheel restored for a 1948 Jeepster, cost me over $300.00, had it done by a "Pro" in San Diego. Then the restored steering wheel cracked all over the place before I got the vehicle completed. I don't know if the new cracks were in the places the restore took place, or if they were new cracks in new areas???

Good point. I'll likely keep my restored wheel inside our house in a climate controlled environment until the rest of my rig is ready.

I talked to my buddy who does cerakote on guns, we're going to cerakote one in flat black then a semi-gloss paint. We both think the cerakote will provide protection. Steering wheels for FJs are getting hard to find so any extra protection will help. He's in the process of moving but I'll post step by step pics on the one we test this out on.

If anyone is knowledgeable about cerakote, I'd appreciate any input.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom