Centering steering boxes steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One notable difference on a stock 40 series is that the steering column doesn't have a U-joint such as the after-market shaft on the CJ. I believe, therefore, that you have to pull the steering wheel in order to center it on the box. Also, the Pitman arm points down instead of straight back.

One notable difference on a stock 40 series is that the steering column doesn't have a U-joint such as the after-market shaft on the CJ. I believe, therefore, that you have to pull the steering wheel in order to center it on the box. Also, the Pitman arm points down instead of straight back.
Thanks for that insight. I saw this and wondered if anyone knew the steps. Sounds like the FJ is way simpler than the CJ. Appreciate your time.

You shouldn't have to pull the wheel, unless someone centered the steering wrong in the past. It's the same principle as in the video. Your adjustments are made thru the relay rod or drag link. You'll likely have to disconnect the relay rod at the tie rod.

To center the steering wheel.or rather, know what to adjust, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then count the turns it takes to lock on the righ. Turn half the turns back to the left (easier with wheels up).

If the steering wheel is center, mess with the relay rod (turn out the rod end too far and the end will connect the chassis, same with the drag link but if you shorten it too much. Don't turn either end in or out too far and ensure you have sufficient thread engagement always.

If the wheel is not center, pull the horn button off, undo the 17mm OD nut, smash yourself in the face when you pull the steering wheel off and forget to leave the nut halfway on to avoid it (use a harmonic damper or steering wheel puller to avoid face smashing), eyeball the center and push back on in reverse order. There is 1" of factory slop specced for the wheel so don't overthink the wheel's position.

If none of the options work you get to pull the pitman arm to re-index it. Best to have a quality pitman arm puller and impact at hand for this operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom