Early Box Heaters (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E1BF9A61-E58D-4324-AB8F-384B147060E4.png
All of the originals I’ve seen were similar, but looked more like this one. They were a maroon/brown color.

Thanks for the picture. The face plate of my probably-original switch is badly faded, but I can see where it could have been maroon-brown when new. I think I’ll be fine with the red face of the NOS switches on the market today, as other than the red part, the rest of the switch looks to be identical. Will know for sure when it arrives, possibly later this week.

Last edited:
Wonder if you could swap covers? I like the red too.

Interesting the different inlet and outlet pipe orientations for the hupps. I specifically was looking for a heater with vertical oriented pipes as that was the orientation of the existing holes. I came across this Hupp at sigfrid’s eBay listing and was sold on its vertical pipe orientation (like Destin’s vs horizontal or at angle like some others I’ve seen). Since the dealer drilled the holes I’m curious as to why there are different pipe orientations unless it has something to do with vehicle specifics (and what?). I think the front plate mod to this is removable, will have to redo the front flip up panel. Not sure of status of sticker or markings. And need to put power to the fan to verify operation.
1C5130AF-5B76-49C7-B68F-FA53C5EEC1D5.jpeg
C8C35E20-F56C-4778-8860-EECBA646DA49.jpeg
92F7D667-3B5C-44DB-810E-F80242EAD280.jpeg

The pipes in my Hupp are vertically oriented as well, and exit on the far right side of the housing. I’ve seen other vertical pipes exiting the left side. No idea what the differences are.

The new switch from eBay arrived today. It is identical to the one that was attached to the Hupp in my ‘64 FST. The bezel is not red, but is a darkish-maroon. As near as I can tell, it is the correct replacement.

F2C47BDD-00F5-4C8F-9BAB-641E76B7EB2F.jpeg

Starting to refresh my Hupp today. Looks like I need one of the small side vent flaps, and one of the 2 spring clips that hold the flap to the body. Also need to find some sort of cap to plug the 2 defroster outlets, as my '64 FST doesn't have defrosters at all.

Any ideas?

img_0981-jpg.1667922

img_0982-jpg.1667923

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 3.34.20 PM.png

Getting close. Although I'm still missing one side flap. (WTB ad) Case color is a near dead match for what I found when I stripped PO-applied paint from the case and side flap. Looks a bit creamy colored in this picture, real life is much less so. Testor's Model Master, FS 36622 Camouflage Gray. The gray is a matte paint, so I clear coated it.

I've seen pictures of other color schemes (silver case, cream front flap, etc.), but I matched the remains of the original paint on mine for all parts.

IMG_1041.jpg

Last edited:
...soon

Ok, so since I have never had one of these before, how do you know which one is the ‘small’ version versus the regular one? This one measures about 7” across and high, about 7 3/8”deep.
B1528C96-B07C-485D-92B3-F41EF1F18F7C.jpeg
EEEFD52F-C0EB-4680-BE35-FF565AD926A2.jpeg

Ok, so since I have never had one of these before, how do you know which one is the ‘small’ version versus the regular one? This one measures about 7” across and high, about 7 3/8”deep.
I didn't know which I had either, Mark... until now. Yours must be the 'small' box, as mine is approximately 8x8x9.

Not sure if the side vent flap is the same as what I need. That one looks small to me. Mine measures 2 1/8" x 4 1/2".

I didn't know which I had either, Mark... until now. Yours must be the 'small' box, as mine is approximately 8x8x9.

Not sure if the side vent flap is the same as what I need. That one looks small to me. Mine measures 2 1/8" x 4 1/2".

Yup, they’re different. I’m sure the side doors are smaller.

If anybody happens to have one of these Happ or clamshell heaters I’m going to be looking for one for an FJ28L restoration. I see one Happ on eBay but seems to be missing some parts, and a clamshell that costs as much as a new engine (!!). I’ll post a wanted ad, but PM me if you’ve got one you’re willing to part with.

Aargh. I just scrapped the one I posted.

If anybody happens to have one of these Happ or clamshell heaters I’m going to be looking for one for an FJ28L restoration. I see one Happ on eBay but seems to be missing some parts, and a clamshell that costs as much as a new engine (!!). I’ll post a wanted ad, but PM me if you’ve got one you’re willing to part with.

That clamshell on ebay is high, but museum quality. I have never seen one better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom