Early Box Heaters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Neither of my 65 FJ45s had the stock heater. Bith had after market units. It was a option in 65. Standard in the US market starting with the 66 model. The diagonal vent was only in 65 model. I believe to make it easier for one unit to fit both right drive and left hand drive a horizonal was used.

Here is one that I picked up off Oz ebay not so long ago. It was advertised as an "early FJ40 heater" so I took a bit of a punt without knowing a whole lot about them. I have seen a couple of early 40s (Australian) with this style of round heater installed. After seeing the heater that Foxfab posted on the first page of this thread they look very similar so I think I did ok on the buy. There are no markings or brand names on the heater and it has been refurbed by the seller so some details may have been removed. The ones I have seen like this over here have been mounted in the center, above where the transmission tunnel cover meets the firewall. The pic that Foxfab posted seems to show his mounted above the passenger footwell.

I will save this one for my '67 40 I think and leave my '62 45 without a heater as I doubt very much that it came with one. Neither rig has a heater inlet vent in the side of the cowl - would a heater inlet vent on the cowl mean a factory fitted heater came with the truck does anyone know?

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a rear view of the heater. Here is how I think it works - The water inlet and outlet pipes are at the bottom (6 O'clock). The water circulates through the fins and air from inside the cab is drawn ipast these fins by the fan and heated then blown out the two front flaps and also out the two larger air ducts (11 & 4 O'clock) on the backside. I presume the air is then piped from these up to the windscreen defrost vents.

IMG_0661.jpg

This is what came with my 62 fj40. I have never seen one like it. Sorry for the bad pic. Only one i have right now.

IMG_0388.jpg

I found this Hupp 356 at a swap meet in CT this morning. I haven't seen this model before. It's about 1.5" smaller than our models and the heater core pipes are slightly offset. This one was in great original condition.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445217806.822616.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445217820.972508.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445217837.864965.jpg

Last edited:
I was recently lucky enough to acquire an early Denso round heater. I'm debating whether to install it in the 25 or the 45LV. While I know they came from the factory in the LV's, does anybody have evidence that they made their way into any 25's?

Last edited:
Here is my 1965 FJ45 LWB heater before I install it.
Does anyone know what blower switch these Hupp units came with? I just ordered a new replacement for the one that was connected to the Hupp in my ‘64 FST. Any idea if this is/was original?

6EDE1290-196C-4B64-8D5B-2139F553CB58.jpeg

E11F69F8-BCD9-49CC-8E63-1972CA180605.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom