DIY: Replacing heater hose pipe T's *important* (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just put an end to heater T's issues for ever.

My heater T broke when I lowered my drivetrain when I was converting my t-case to part-time.

View attachment 1405860
I was happy when I realized I have the correct one time replacement 4Season T's (part #84543) on the shelf. The 4Season T's have 2 - 5/8" and 1 1/2" nipples being SAE and not metric the factory clamps will not seal on used hose so I used the correct sized Breeze clamps.

I did make a tool for removing the broken piece on the fly that worked great.

View attachment 1405861

I have now put an end to heater T's failures forever.

View attachment 1405862

That is the same fix I put on ours...................

Phil, I gotta disagree with the "put and end..." Feel free to PM me if you would like my rational (dont' want to hijack....).

Dont see it as a hijack and Im sure your input will be appreciated by others if it has to do with heater T. If you feel otherwise PM your rational or findings.

Hi Lcphil: I'm on it (via PM) as it's more of a political (probably wrong word) point I want to make. However, I agree on the Ts, whatever fix is chosen, it will surely out last our lives. On that note, I :beer: the thread!

Hi Lcphil: I'm on it (via PM) as it's more of a political (probably wrong word) point I want to make. However, I agree on the Ts, whatever fix is chosen, it will surely out last our lives. On that note, I :beer: the thread!

All your post are politically correct......................its the internet. If its posted 3 times its the internet truth:rolleyes:

2001LC, 109k, swapped oem T's to brass. Bought worm clamps but thought better of it and used the constant torque oem clamps. Repositioned clamps just in case I ever need to adjust.

Quick 30 minute job, but what a pain in the arse! I'm 5' 10" and had all the right tools for the job, but I had to put my right knee on the battery and left knee on the intake manifold to get in the perfect position to move some of the clamps. Glad I never have to do it ever again. Original T's actually looked to be in pretty good shape. It looks like the PO used oem red coolant changed regularly and the truck had been garaged in SoCal all of it's life, so I'm thinking good preventative maintenance and fewer extreme temperature fluctuations helps to extend the life of the T's.

New brass! :)

unnamed.jpg

SierraWheel, where did you find those brass T's ????

2001LC, 109k, swapped oem T's to brass. Bought worm clamps but thought better of it and used the constant torque oem clamps. Repositioned clamps just in case I ever need to adjust.

Quick 30 minute job, but what a pain in the arse! I'm 5' 10" and had all the right tools for the job, but I had to put my right knee on the battery and left knee on the intake manifold to get in the perfect position to move some of the clamps. Glad I never have to do it ever again. Original T's actually looked to be in pretty good shape. It looks like the PO used oem red coolant changed regularly and the truck had been garaged in SoCal all of it's life, so I'm thinking good preventative maintenance and fewer extreme temperature fluctuations helps to extend the life of the T's.

New brass! :)

unnamed.jpg
12mm hose on a 5/8 barbed brass fitting?

I'm not necessarily endorsing those specific brass T's for anyone else... I recommend thorough research and to choose the approach that works best for you. Someone else described the 5/8" brass T's earlier in the thread and there was also a discussion about the discrepancy in sizing for one of the hoses, so I won't re-hash everything here. Like others have mentioned previously, one of the hoses is snug but it does slide on. Personally, I think it is a good idea to inspect the hoses and connections at each 90k service regardless if you have metal or plastic T's. My hoses were also in great shape, but FWIW I plan on inspecting and possibly replacing all of my hoses when I get to the next service.

21Fo2z4fWUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the constant torque/tension clamp I am talking about. The OE clamp is also a CT design. The one pictured go for about $5-6/ea though. Here is some additional info...

"Virtually all rubber hose compresses "cold flow" after installation of a clamping device, resulting in an almost immediate torque loss that can exceed 80% of installation torque. Similarly, virtually all metal connections expand as a system heats up, and then contracts as the system cools. Conventional worm-gear, T-Bolt, and other clamps are passive, in that expansion and contraction of components cannot be compensated for without retightening or loosening the clamps. This Breeze clamping system is an "active" clamp mechanism, which monitors and then compensates for the temperature changes by actually changing diameter through a unique worm-gear Belleville assembly."

http://www.breezeclamps.com/ct.htm

If anyone has used these, what size, or part number did you use?

Thanks,
Shawn

Just ordered stainless T's, gates hoses and new radiator hoses. I'll be tackling that job next weekend.

I went a little different route (size wise) than most other folks here. My hoses were still in great shape, so I elected to not replace them with new. Consequently....the ends of the hoses were all slightly 'belled' which would have resulted in a loose (or looser than I would like) fit had I gone back with OEM Tee's or their equivalent.

I found a source for Tee's that were 3/4" x 5/8" and these provided a good tight fit even before installing the hose clamps. They would NOT have worked with new hoses (would have been too tight) but were just right in my case.

Heater Tee1.jpg

IMG_5119.JPG
I just replaced original tees at 250,000 miles. The old ones were not broken, disintegrating or ready to fall apart. They were perfectly fine and the only way I could destroy them was with pliers. That being said, don't overthink this people. Go to Home Depot, buy two 1/2" brass tees in the Pex or plumbing section, buy your worm clamps, swap them out and call it a day. Works perfectly and will outlive me. I swear, for owning what we all think are the most bullet proof trucks on the road, we sure coddle them a lot... *shaking head*
For perspective: yes I'm the guy who still has his original timing belt, hasn't ever flushed his power steering reservoir, is still stopping happily with his original master brake cylinder, has never replaced his steering rack, and runs 15,000 miles between Mobil 1 extended oil changes...and my truck still drives better than any of my friends suvs. Their words, not mine. #endrant
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

12mm hose on a 5/8 barbed brass fitting?

I think I finally caught the wisdom in this question. I learned today that my hoses are leaking at the connection to my new brass T's. My reserve tank was getting low when I found out, but luckily I still had coolant in the system. My theory is that the OEM constant torque clamps simply can't put enough torque on the BARBED fitting to seal the high pressure connection. I'm also hesitant to torque down a worm clamp on a BARBED fitting and ruin an otherwise decent hose.

For whatever reason it never even crossed my mind that I was switching from the OEM SMOOTH fitting to a BARBED fitting!!

Decided while I'm at it (again) I might as well move up in the world. Just ordered the Four Seasons 84543 Heater T's and Breeze CT clamps from amazon. If there's anything I hate more than re-doing a "fix", it would be breaking down on the side of the road because my first "fix" failed.

Hope someone else learns from my mistake. Brass, stainless, plastic, whatever you go with I would stay away from barbed fittings and triple check to be sure your connections are tight!

I think I finally caught the wisdom in this question. I learned today that my hoses are leaking at the connection to my new brass T's. My reserve tank was getting low when I found out, but luckily I still had coolant in the system. My theory is that the OEM constant torque clamps simply can't put enough torque on the BARBED fitting to seal the high pressure connection. I'm also hesitant to torque down a worm clamp on a BARBED fitting and ruin an otherwise decent hose.

For whatever reason it never even crossed my mind that I was switching from the OEM SMOOTH fitting to a BARBED fitting!!

Decided while I'm at it (again) I might as well move up in the world. Just ordered the Four Seasons 84543 Heater T's and Breeze CT clamps from amazon. If there's anything I hate more than re-doing a "fix", it would be breaking down on the side of the road because my first "fix" failed.

Hope someone else learns from my mistake. Brass, stainless, plastic, whatever you go with I would stay away from barbed fittings and triple check to be sure your connections are tight!

Took your experience, and ordered the same.

One T disintegrated when I removed it and the other was brittle and was on its way out as well. I used the gates hoses method and cut the pieces from the molded hose. i used the constant torque clamps on the stainless T and reused the other clamps. So far so good!

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

One T disintegrated when I removed it and the other was brittle and was on its way out as well. I used the gates hoses method and cut the pieces from the molded hose. i used the constant torque clamps on the stainless T and reused the other clamps. So far so good!

View attachment 1434581

View attachment 1434582

Can you post the Gates part numbers for the noted hose parts?

rsz_untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom