Cummins 2.8 actually in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep I am interested in this myself

The swap is sponsored by Cummins for testing:

“Cummins commissioned two builds of popular SUVs with two reputable builders chosen from our BETA R2.8 customer list. Both companies joining us on our media drive have also joined the newly launched Builder Program established for companies who wish to order engines directly from Cummins.

The main objectives of these builds were to better understand how the current R2.8 Turbo Dieselperforms in heavier weight vehicles and experience the aftermarket's integration of automatic transmissions. We have taken a hands-off approach on these builds so that we can also observe how the aftermarket integrates our engine into these platforms, and better understand what improvements are needed, if any, in our engine calibration or installation guide materials. These vehicles have never been driven by the team at Cummins so as they sit, they represent a true aftermarket install from a builder.

Cummins will be taking possession of the vehicles from their respective builders, meeting in Durango, and then making their way up to Denver via Telluride and Silverthorne. Data will be logged on the vehicles at high altitudes in cold winter climates during a combination of highway and light trail riding. Subjective evaluations will also be made regarding drivability, as these vehicles are radically different than the lighter weight, manual transmission, short wheelbase Jeeps we have demonstrated in the past.

Following the Rocky Mountain driving demonstrations, the team from Cummins will continue east from Denver, driving the two SUVs back to headquarters in Columbus, Indiana, for a total of nearly 2,000 miles per freshly built vehicle. If you see us along the way, flag us down!”

Cummins Repower Adventure - Cummins Engines

This is awesome and I am really looking forward to reading about and seeing this become an option!

I believe @torfab has installed a few of these engines as well. It's cool to see Cummins taking interest and getting data from customers that are using the product. (Cummins seems like a really cool company) If the 2.8 is anything like the 1HDT, it will like stock gears combined with 35s for all around use.

I believe @torfab has installed a few of these engines as well. It's cool to see Cummins taking interest and getting data from customers that are using the product. (Cummins seems like a really cool company) If the 2.8 is anything like the 1HDT, it will like stock gears combined with 35s for all around use.

I know Tor has developed a kit for the 60/62, It would be awesome to see him work his magic for an 80.:cheers:

I know Tor has developed a kit for the 60/62, It would be awesome to see him work his magic for an 80.:cheers:
Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I'd love to see how one of these works in an 80 as well.

Just like a good attorney will never ask a question in court that he doesn't know the answer, Cummins would not have made such a bold PR move as this without have some initial data that it would work well. This looks very promising.

Does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same as the 4BT/6BT?

Sub'd. I want to see where this goes. Too bad I'm not in Durango today.

I dunno, the R2.8 seems a little anemic for the size/price. The Chevy Duramax 2.8 makes 181hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The Cummins R2.8 only makes 161hp and 267 lb-ft of torque.

Could you tune the Cummins R2.8 to make more power/torque? Probably. But why spend a premium on a new crate engine that you know you'll have to modify?

This little engine wakes right up with a mild tune. I've been using it in my FJ62 since July and love it. I'll bring it to Moab for anyone who wants to have a look at it.

One of my customers just put his on the dyno. He got 414 torque at the wheels and 205 HP in a 60 series

Last edited:
This little engine wakes right up with a mild tune. I've been using it in my FJ62 since July and love it. I'll bring it to Moab for anyone who wants to have a look at it.

One of my customers just put his on the dyno. He got 414 torque at the wheels and 205 HP.
In an 80? AWD HP?

Pretty darn cool

I dunno, the R2.8 seems a little anemic for the size/price. The Chevy Duramax 2.8 makes 181hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The Cummins R2.8 only makes 161hp and 267 lb-ft of torque.

Could you tune the Cummins R2.8 to make more power/torque? Probably. But why spend a premium on a new crate engine that you know you'll have to modify?

I can agree with you, but I think the excitement is that a kit might exist for the 80 that would make the install more attainable for folks like me.

If cummins would go the route they have for Jeep, that gave them a R2.8 complete repower kit.

Will it meet the needs of every user, may not, but it might meet my needs if I ever needed to repower and wanted to diesel rather than gas.

So why isn’t anyone using that Duramax? I would think it would respond similar to the Cummins when dialing it up for more power. What’s the crate motor price on the Dursmax, and haven’t they been on the market a little longer?

One of my customers just put his on the dyno. He got 414 torque at the wheels and 205 HP in a 60 series

So what is a realistic number for doing all this: crate motor, conversion parts, maybe conversion Labor, and the super tune to get that much power out of the Cummins?

So why isn’t anyone using that Duramax? I would think it would respond similar to the Cummins when dialing it up for more power. What’s the crate motor price on the Dursmax, and haven’t they been on the market a little longer?

To my knowledge, the Duramax isn't offered as a crate motor. And I wasn't promoting a Duramax 2.8/FJ80 engine swap. I was just making the comparison that the Cummins R2.8 seems underpowered compared to other similarly sized diesel engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom