Any Cummins R2.8L diesel repowers? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like most people are using various GM 6.5L engines and an NV4500 transfer case. Is this just a cost issue?

An R2.8L is a $10K crate motor so not cheap but, it looks like it may be a good match at 161HP and various torque numbers depending on final install specifics.

Best Regards,
Sid

Not enough power in my opinion...

I agree. In my short research looking at repower options, the 2.8 was interesting because Cummins offers it as a crate re-power. From my understanding this means much more company support with issues than swapping in something pulled from a donor.

That being said, it's a lot of money and no appreciable gain in HP. Of course, the tq numbers go up somewhat, but you can get a lot more for less... Also, they're made in China, which brings not only quality questions but also what you want that 10k to go support. I'll stick with American and Japanese made personally. Just my 2 cents.

The 6BT and other mentioned motors seem to have the same general power. The R2.8 Cummins is also more efficient so, that is what attracts me to it. From general shopping searches, unless I get a tired worn motor, the Cummins R2.8 seems to be a bit cheaper too.

Regarding made in China, it is what it is, just like the Korean-made Cummins engines.

I'm sure the 6BT can be hopped up a lot more though with its larger displacement.

R2.8 TURBO DIESEL​

Power161 - hp
Torque310 - lb-ft
Not all engines are crated equally. When critical components such as fuel pumps, filters, accessories, starters, and flywheels aren’t included in an engine package, you have to piece together these components from various manufacturers, hoping for the best. For the vehicle specific components not included with our R2.8 Turbo Diesel, such as motor mounts and cooling packages, we help you by including the most thorough installation guide and owner’s toolkit available in the crate market, as well as on-call support from Cummins Care. A team of dedicated enthusiasts is standing by to help.

Is the 2.8 the 4BT edit:motor engine? I'm still getting up to speed myself.
I understand the vibration issues with the 4BT is nearly a deal breaker for those who have done it.
6BT seems a better option just between those two from what I've found researching.
Tho frankly, from the $ aspect, it seems a good rebuild or replacement of the 1FZ makes more sense long term imo.

6BT.
Not enough power in my opinion...
Agreed. I don't think the 2.8 is worth the effort. 6BT is proven, tons of aftermarket support and the sky is the limit on power output...

Another vote for under powered. The driveability of that engine in an almost 3 tonne cruiser would be horrible IMO

2.8 puts out about the same peak power and torque as a Toyota 4.2 I6 diesel.

Difference is, the Toyota engine does it lazily, the 2.8 is highly strung.
1HD-T, 1HD-FT, or 1HD-FTE are all fast better suited to the cruiser ( funny, that's what Toyota thought too).
All can be upgraded with external mods to put out 30%-50% more power and torque.

If you don't like money you can double the power and torque and then some.

The R2.8 has been discussed quite a bit in the diesel tech section

One of my buddies is doing this swap to his 91. The rig is running now with new suspension put in as well. super modern and lots of usable power.
Screenshot_20220630-064856_Instagram.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg

I wasn’t comparing, just saying a turbo diesel 160hp is more than adequate for a 6k lb truck but I also understand that not many guys are willing to spend $20-$30k to have 160hp.
adequate is relative. you can use a 2 horses to move a 6k lb truck.

A simply built 24v 6BT will easily hit 400hp and 800ft lbs while still being reliable... you'll get better mileage than the 1FZ / 3FE if you keep your foot out of it AND you'll be able to go more than 45 mph up any grade, towing whatever you want, loaded with your entire house.

Transmission gearing plays a role as well. In the above pic, looks like a 6l80, so a nice low 1st gear to get going.

I looked into this and classic cruisers in Salida was willing to sell me their 2.8 but from what I read the swap is a giant PITA.

The R2.8 and diesels in general benefit from higher gears which is counter to the general need for lower gearing when offroad.

I have experience with the R2.8 and all the other B series variants from 3.9 through 6.7 in the 80 series and other platforms.

What the R2.8 lacks in metal internals, properly machined components, longevity, parts availability and a knowledgeable userbase it makes up for with a very shiny paint job and a very serious looking crate which, unlike the engine, is actually made in Indiana.

5.9 Cummins fits superb in an 80. 300HP and 800 ft/lbs of mechanical Cummins HP makes a pleasurable driving experience. It's not just the number of horseponies you have. It's how they are distributed over the range of RPM.

The gentle whistle of a Holset and the melody of six cylinders cruising down the road is a real good sound- Inside and outside the vehicle. And when you desire to go around the semi truck doing 50 up the 7% grade you can leave it in 5th, apply some right foot and be sure to let off before the straight road runs out.

I would swap a GM LS/LT gas V8 in an 80 or a 5.9/6.7 Cummins.

Last edited:
I wasn’t comparing, just saying a turbo diesel 160hp is more than adequate for a 6k lb truck but I also understand that not many guys are willing to spend $20-$30k to have 160hp.

Adequate and satisfactory are not the same.

I drive a 2.5 litre TD Amarok. It weighs approx 2tonne. Power and torque figures are very similar to the Cummins.

It gets along just fine, but the driving experience and power delivery is utterly uninspiring, and annoying for someone who enjoys the driving experience generally.

It can't get out of its own way until you hit 22-2400rpm. It's unpredictable when pulling into traffic.
The transmission is annoying. Slightly better in 'sport' mode, but then it becomes a bit of a threshing machine.

Experience has been similar with other similar cubic inch to weight ratio turbo diesels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom