Any Cummins R2.8L diesel repowers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn't consider parts in the US for the 1HD-FT

I own an fzj80 in Australia. Have previously owned diesel 80, and 105.

I can get basic maintenance parts from an auto parts store, and basic maintenance items from Toyota dealer. Car really rely on either to have everything.

But anything more than the basics, it's being ordered in, from a store for aftermarket stuff, or online for Toyota stuff.

I can have parts delivered in around 5 days fun UAE.
Or, I can bend over and have my local Toyota dealer order stuff from Toyota Australia parts warehouse in Melbourne which usually means 3 days at best, or 3+ weeks if it's gotta come from Japan.

Not a lot different for USA and diesel parts. Plan ahead for maintenance. Or do without the truck for a few days while you source unexpected parts.

I own an fzj80 in Australia. Have previously owned diesel 80, and 105.

I can get basic maintenance parts from an auto parts store, and basic maintenance items from Toyota dealer. Car really rely on either to have everything.

But anything more than the basics, it's being ordered in, from a store for aftermarket stuff, or online for Toyota stuff.

I can have parts delivered in around 5 days fun UAE.
Or, I can bend over and have my local Toyota dealer order stuff from Toyota Australia parts warehouse in Melbourne which usually means 3 days at best, or 3+ weeks if it's gotta come from Japan.

Not a lot different for USA and diesel parts. Plan ahead for maintenance. Or do without the truck for a few days while you source unexpected parts.

I feel like the size and expansive nature of the US gets lost on folks.

Should you be on a cross country trip in the US, in the middle of the country, you’ll likely be able to get 6BT parts that day. 5 days from the UAE isn’t ideal when you’re still a 20 hour drive from home.

For that exact same reason, I wouldn’t want a 6BT in Australia.. or to be in Australia at all really (but we’ve argued about this before)

If you spend any time on diesel forums or around the diesel community you’ll hear:
“the doge ram is just another shipping container for a cummins”

There’s really not another diesel platform in the half ton/full ton space that is as widely loved as the 6BT. Huge power potential, huge aftermarket support, incredibly reliable.

The Nissan/Cummins in the Titan's seems to be pretty well received but, it is relatively new. The GM/Isuza Duramax is another really solid option. Not so much a fan of modern Ford options but, they have their following too.

The little 3.0L diesel in some GM's, and the Jeep diesel, are where I think we have room for improvement. I know I loved my Diesel VW Passat but, VW really screwed up that one with the emissions cheating.

What do all the diesel mechanic shops do then? How do they stay in business?

Overhauls, upgrades, complicated service, routine service, fixing factory screwups etc etc.

Should you be on a cross country trip in the US, in the middle of the country, you’ll likely be able to get 6BT parts that day. 5 days from the UAE isn’t ideal when you’re still a 20 hour drive from home.

For that exact same reason, I wouldn’t want a 6BT in Australia.. or to be in Australia at all really (but we’ve argued about this before)

What sort of failure happens in the middle of nowhere without showing their heads prior? I've only had hoses tear and was able to kludge that to get back to civilisation. I've had unexpected electrical issues which were caused by previous owners.

Toyota 1HD eats big end bearings, but replace those every 100,000km and you're good.

6BT in australia wouldn't be a problem. It's just a diesel engine and variants are found in plant and equipment all over the place.

I intend to take whatever vehicle I end up with to Australia at some point if that is allowed when I plan to travel. Same for some of Asia. If Africa settles down along with South America (political turmoil, jihadist dangers, drug cartels, carjacking, and general crime, etc.). I had hoped to travel to the Caucus region as well, with turmoil in that part of the world due to regional conflicts (Armenia and Azerbaijan), the Russian war against Ukraine, and Kurdish issues mainly with Turkey make that unlikely.

Australia and continental USA are similar in area.
Usa has 15 times the population of Aus. 20 hours from home, you're likely still close to a significant town/city.

Understandable parts for a common, domestically produced engine are readily available in one of numerous large towns/cities locally.

20 hours cross country in almost any direction from my home puts me squarely into unpopulated country.

If you have more than a basic maintenance failure in any vehicle 20 hours from home in Aus, you're stranded and waiting for parts or a tow truck.

If you have more than a basic maintenance failure with an fzj80 20 hrs from home in USA, are you getting parts the same day?
It's a niche vehicle regardless of whether it had a Toyota gas or diesel engine.

I wouldn’t want a 6BT in Australia.. or to be in Australia at all really (but we’ve argued about this before)

Have you actually been to Australia?
If not, there's no argument, just a bunch of insular, meaningless shìtty comments :flipoff2:

Why would you be breaking down with a Toyota diesel? Good engines run until they wear out and you can see that happening with plenty of warning.

In decades of diesel ownership the only problems I've ever had on the road have been electrical and hoses.
Never say never, I am assuming you have never been to somewhere like Southern Utah. When you live somewhere like this and do the kind of offroad trips I do than you obtain another level of paranoia. 🤷‍♂️

And we are talking motor swaps, not stock vehicles. The Toyota diesel is probably just as reliable as the 1fz fe..... but swap one into a truck and it is bound to have a hiccup or two.

Last edited:
Proffits Cruisers would be my first choice if you want a shop to do it.

They have Cummins swaps down pat.

They most likely invented them in the US market. Jeremiah and his team have been doing Cummins swaps easily for 20 years.

I spoke to them maybe a year ago about engine options and a diesel swap was roughly $40-$50k which for most isn’t even a reasonable option. A general non-LS V8 swap was about $30k.

The challenge most of these shops now face is the growing emissions requirements in CO which have adopted CARB.

The other locals such as Classic and Red Line declined diesels swaps.

Last edited:
There is also the old 6.2 and 6.5 gm diesel engine. Would be a fairly inexpensive swap. With a turbo and mild boost they give ok power.

Our luck on the farm with GM Diesels was terrible. Warped heads, always in need of new glow plugs and starters, generally unreliable. Add fueling issues as well with the pump and injectors. Why do you think they went with the Isuza Duramax? 6.2 and 6.5's are cheap for a reason.

With conversion costs factored in, saving a bit with a 6.2/6.5 seems a bit short-sighted to me.

There are plenty of posters against a Cummmins 5.9 swap but no one has posted as many positive ideas about any other single diesel to swap into an 80. The LS doesn’t count in this thread as it began with questions about a toy engine that burns diesel fuel.

I’m a huge fan of the 5.9 and have been schooled further in this thread about why it’s a great choice for a diesel swap.

No one has posted a better answer other than simply sticking with a Toyota diesel which will have to work considerably harder to keep up with the larger displacement industrial 5.9. Support is a huge factor.

The reason for a Toyota swap isn't just the engine. It's that everything required to do it is stock Toyota. It's literally made to fit.

You put a Cummins in and everything around it is deep custom conjured up by someone who might be awesome or might not be. It's not going to be the engine that leaves you stranded, it's going to be stuff around it breaking.
There will be zero support for the conjured up conversion parts giving up on you in the middle of nowhere.

How hard you think the engine might have to work isn't even a factor in this. The 80's were only used for towing 2.5 tons and you can do that all day with less than 2.5 litres of good diesel engine. 4.2 vs 5.9 is irellevant.

Our luck on the farm with GM Diesels was terrible. Warped heads, always in need of new glow plugs and starters, generally unreliable. Add fueling issues as well with the pump and injectors. Why do you think they went with the Isuza Duramax? 6.2 and 6.5's are cheap for a reason.

With conversion costs factored in, saving a bit with a 6.2/6.5 seems a bit short-sighted to me.
I know they don't have the best reputation and not sure if their common issues can be fixed. I don't have hardly any experience with them, but it looked like a simple engine. I've seen a couple swapped into 80s. Sounds like you have more experience with them than me.

The only time you will have a problem with your 1Hx series of engine is if maintenance is neglected or you over boost/fuel without proper upgrades. It’s not going to break down and leave you stranded, just doesn’t really happen unless it is a major failure.

I have seen a number of blown head gaskets on 1HDTs but all of them had upped boost/fuel and only an IC for upgrades. I have torn down a bunch of FTE/FTs now and only two were bad shape. One because it was rebuilt very poorly and the other (mine) has just been flogged and kept going. I have seen most FT/FTEs have very nice bottom ends even with 200,000+ miles. So good we have simply put in new bearings, a light hone, rings and go.

The Toyota diesels are expensive for us to acquire and build here in the USA. For this reason, sure the Cummins makes sense for most people.

Cheers

First, I should say that I don't know anything about diesels-- but I have been wondering when someone was going to put a 3.0L Duramax into an 80 series. Straight six, crazy power, crazy gas mileage. Seems like that would be a win win win.

I know they have some sort of oil pump belt that needs to be changed every couple hundred thousand miles, and people don't like that. And who knows what kind of computer they require. But everything else sounds like it would be awesome. The original version was called an LM2, but the new ones are called LZO. I am not sure what the difference is.

Duramax LZO.png
LZO engine specs.png
LZO applications.png

People are pretty focused on catastrophic failure and part’s availability. Any catastrophic failure in an engine remotely is going to be an issue and Probabaly a large downtime.

What parts are we talking outside of maintenance that you would need right away?

Alternators?
Belts?
Water pumps?

I actually starting carrying a spare alternator in our 7.3 excursion as it literally would fail 1-2 times a year. 15min fix but annoying as all getout.

I know they don't have the best reputation and not sure if their common issues can be fixed. I don't have hardly any experience with them, but it looked like a simple engine. I've seen a couple swapped into 80s. Sounds like you have more experience with them than me.

There's a couple of shops that where doing these swaps in Australia.
Lots of them where lemons, and would end up for sale in fairly short order.
Guys on LCOOL landcruiser forum ( now gone) who had them, and moved them on often were very critical of the engine.
Not necessarily due to the shops work, more just inherent poor engine design.

Overheat regularly. Poor economy. Poor poweroutput.
Just a big heavy boat anchor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom