Any Cummins R2.8L diesel repowers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll add my 2 cents😂

I’ve done several Land Cruiser gas to diesel conversions.

They involved a 3fe/a440 to 3b/h55 then that became a 3bt. FJ62
A 2f to 3b. 74 FJ40

Both conversions produced more useable low end grunt and way better economy.

The 3bt ran 13 psi and was totally superior to the 3fe in all aspects.

Someday I may convert my 80. It will be a Toyota diesel.

Why? Because it’s meant to fit in there. If you install it the way Toyota does it you will have zero problems and it will last a long time and be trouble free.

IF you slap it in there and do a s*** job that’s exactly what you will get, unreliability.

This whole “if I’m in the middle of America and something goes wrong I’m ****ed if I have a Toyota diesel vs a Cummins” is simply ludicrous.

Catastrophic failure aside the Toyota diesels are just as easy to maintain as brand American X.

Why someone wants a 4-500 hp diesel and 800lbs of tq is beyond me🤷‍♂️

2-250 hp 350-450 tq is plenty. Getting higher numbers means nothing in off-road application crawling along or driving a legal sane speed.

But, each to their own, oh, by the way, you can burn a s*** load of gasoline for that $25-50,000 diesel swap!

That’s why I would do the Toyota swap, I know I can buy a older 80 series JDM import here in Canada for less than $20,000 cdn, or $15,000 USD. Makes for a very easy swap. But that’s a lot of gasoline!

All of you have good points. Since I am far into this I will just complete it. I guess problem is this swap is not popular here. Overseas the Mercedes OM606 Mechanical and the BMW M57 Electronic is the majority used in swaps due to cost and availability. BMW M57 is even used in new Grenedier.

Maybe next year as long as they are mechanical I will try a Cummins and Toyota diesel but must adapt to an A343F/A442F. I have several 80s lined up for restoration. It's my new hobby that keeps me sane from a long weeks work.

If ever one feels best I will keep, and if already sold I will duplicate. Hopefully all this financial BS across the country doesn't get worse.

For those curious here's I have sourced for this project.

1. A343F/A442F Transmission adapter and motor mounts come from Doomsday Diesel

2. Mechanical injection pump from F-Tune using Dieselmeken 80LF Elements and RS156 Version mechanical OM603 pump from approximately 1987 Mercedes 300D. Refer to videos for why my choice. His channel is very informative. He is blunt and rambles but he eventually gets his point across. In the video below, it will answer most of your concerns in regards to drivability even at high power. Regardless check out his other videos on his reasoning based on his research and development.

3. BorgWarner Custom S200 Turbo, Exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold from DieselPump UK. You all have seen enough of him by now.

4. Rear Sump Oil Pan/Pump from 2005-2006 Mercedes E320 CDI OM648.

5. OM606 Turbo Motor from 1998-1999 Mercedes E300

6. Transmission controller Compushift or Microsquirt. Leaning towards Compushift.

Once I will am done with this rig, I go ahead and build a Cummins 80. Will start procuring parts and buy already if price is good.

Good luck with everybody's swap!

Last edited:
All of you have good points. Since I am far into this I will just complete it. I guess problem is this swap is not popular here. Overseas the Mercedes OM606 Mechanical and the BMW M57 Electronic is the majority used in swaps due to cost and availability. BMW M57 is even used in new Grenedier.

Maybe next year as long as they are mechanical I will try a Cummins and Toyota diesel but must adapt to an A343F/A442F. I have several 80s lined up for restoration. It's my new hobby that keeps me sane from a long weeks work.

If ever one feels best I will keep, and if already sold I will duplicate. Hopefully all this financial BS across the country doesn't get worse.

For those curious here's I have sourced for this project.

1. A343F/A442F Transmission adapter and motor mounts come from Doomsday Diesel

2. Mechanical injection pump from F-Tune using Dieselmeken 80LF Elements and RS156 Version mechanical OM603 pump from approximately 1987 Mercedes 300D. Refer to videos for why my choice. His channel is very informative. He is blunt and rambles but he eventually gets his point across. In the video below, it will answer most of your concerns in regards to drivability even at high power. Regardless check out his other videos on his reasoning based on his research and development.

3. BorgWarner Custom S200 Turbo, Exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold from DieselPump UK. You all have seen enough of him by now.

4. Rear Sump Oil Pan/Pump from 2005-2006 Mercedes E320 CDI OM648.

5. OM606 Turbo Motor from 1998-1999 Mercedes E300

6. Transmission controller Compushift or Microsquirt. Leaning towards Compushift.

Once I will am done with this rig, I go ahead and build a Cummins 80. Will start procuring parts and buy already if price is good.

Good luck with everybody's swap!

Have you talked to anothernord? Pretty sure he did OM606. And I think there were some Russians that did them into 80’s too.

It looks like most people are using various GM 6.5L engines and an NV4500 transfer case. Is this just a cost issue?

An R2.8L is a $10K crate motor so not cheap but, it looks like it may be a good match at 161HP and various torque numbers depending on final install specifics.

Best Regards,
Sid
Where did you land on this? I have a 6.5 Detroit (H1 motor) in my FJ80 and it has plenty of power & will cruise 70+ mph no problem. I want something more economical as a DD. Was really keen on the R2.8 until reading this forum. Also in TX and looking for a re-power shop. Most decent I have found are out West, but not paying 40-$50k just for an engine swap.

Where did you land on this? I have a 6.5 Detroit (H1 motor) in my FJ80 and it has plenty of power & will cruise 70+ mph no problem. I want something more economical as a DD. Was really keen on the R2.8 until reading this forum. Also in TX and looking for a re-power shop. Most decent I have found are out West, but not paying 40-$50k just for an engine swap.

There is a good shop in the Lake Worth area that does a lot of Cummins 5.9L repowers I would suggest talking to. They are about half way between Dallas and Texarkana or Shreveport on I-10/I-20.

I don't believe they have done any R3.8L conversions to date but, have done some 4BT's which are similar.

Check your messages. 😀

I think I’ve seen some guys run the 5.0 cm/3 he221 on these. Might be one to look at.

@josephpampliega
I run a Holset HE221 5.5cm on my 13BT (3.4L for those that don’t know) and it’s a fantastic fit for that engine size. Fast boost and plenty of available boost if I was to push that up to the 30psi range. Currently I’m basically stock
With just 1 turn on the wastegate adjuster and I’m hitting 18psi fast.

4F13C028-1C97-4549-9408-14DE4D9BB4FB.gif

Now I’m not a “rev-er” so I rarely go above 2800-3000rpm

That said, I got my he221 5.5 and some parts from BenzForce | Mercedes Performance - https://www.benzforce.com/ They seem to like and build those om606 and the like up. Really friendly and helped me when I was researching for my 13bt. The he221w is less than 1/2 price of a gturbo. (Nothing wrong with gturbo at all)

So anyways, don't waste your time putting a 2.8 Cummins in.

edit: two very important letters...

Last edited:
I recall Delta was among the first 2.8 swaps, right? How has it held up?
original post was typo, edited and corrected. it was removed and replaced with LS shortly after customer received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom