Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I recall correctly, the front splash guard bolts are M6 x 1mm pitch. As for the radiator shim, the stock setup are the fiber mat pieces. The part number for the fiber mat pieces is 90950-04010.
The early Cruisers used the pictured screws instead of bolts, what the OP found is correct. M6 hardware is both wrong for '65 and won't work without drilling and fiddling with nuts

The early Cruisers used the pictured screws instead of bolts, what the OP found is correct. M6 hardware is both wrong for '65 and won't work without drilling and fiddling with nuts
Interesting! I am guessing the screw on the left is the correct one?

From ‘65 parts book:

For radiator support:
52321-55010 shim (for radiator support) qty 2

For cover sub-assy, engine front under (51405-60010):
93540-15014 screw, tapping qty 4
94511-00500 washer, spring qty 4
94612-10500 washer, plate qty 4

😊

Just got the new oil filter lines back and a new fitting for the water pump bypass. Great local Marine/industrial hose and fitting place. Whipped them up in an hour!

IMG_7827.jpg

Initially posted this in What did you do to your Land Cruiser this weekend....then realized it's better suited for here, doh.

Chase's SD40 is in beautiful shape, just has the usual bow in the site glass gasket surface. Initially while on a surface plate, I measured a 1.68mm bow on the face of the sight glass. After some heat, bending the mounting ears back and a light amount of sanding with 2000grit, again on a surface plate, I got the variance down to +/ .15mm around the entire perimeter. Pretty happy with the outcome....now we wait on the rebuild kit to arrive.

Before (1.68mm bow)
NlRMaOMh.jpg

During
3Mo2twNh.jpg

Almost done
CIOSUKrh.jpg

And done
WYLxcXih.jpg

Finally got the water pump installed and some new turn signals mounted. It would be nice to paint them red to match but this paint is so old… that could be tricky. At least the pewter is a good color.
4D8BB9CC-BAFD-4AB2-9942-5264205557CE.jpeg

78ECC60F-5A14-4F09-B92E-10C7A7024260.jpeg

Swapping in a better condition fuel line. Good time to replace the sealing olives.
A6A8EDF3-D92C-4BB0-9393-D00193F7C446.jpeg

Painting associated radiator parts and waiting for hardware to come back from zinc plating. :)
2E2AF8D9-9065-45E0-B4EE-AEA1C895C9DB.jpeg

Also, decided to soak the canvas pads in cosmoline before they go into service. Hoping this prevents water absorption.

CEE54BF3-0B87-4671-80C8-B10DF16CB7CD.jpeg

89A913C0-3529-4692-9FBB-D9B96CB8566B.jpeg

New studs for the thermostat housing :)
B60E068D-2BC9-4F69-9CDC-46D3EBACD685.jpeg

Also discovered this little Easter egg. Maybe that is what was causing some intermittent rough running.

Finally got the water pump installed and some new turn signals mounted. It would be nice to paint them red to match but this paint is so old… that could be tricky. At least the pewter is a good color.
View attachment 3061534
Shiney red tuna cans would look pretty cool. I tend to find misplaced pewter tuna cans to be a bit jarring. If you send a bug catcher vent to Performance? they will match you a can.

Shiney red tuna cans would look pretty cool. I tend to find misplaced pewter tuna cans to be a bit jarring. If you send a bug catcher vent to Performance? they will match you a can.
Yeah I was trying to think what would be the best part to take them to scan and match the paint. I am guessing just an average faded piece so it matches the rest of the truck. Can they make a "match" to a faded color? It was painted so long ago, I have no idea what color was used.

Yeah I was trying to think what would be the best part to take them to scan and match the paint. I am guessing just an average faded piece so it matches the rest of the truck. Can they make a "match" to a faded color? It was painted so long ago, I have no idea what color was used.

Chase, a good paint shop can match it close enough that you will probably be the only one that knows! Our shop is next to an automotive paint supplier in which the owner works in the back every day. He said absolutely no problem matching my unknown olive green faded color in an aerosol can so I can patina match my hard doors. He said it would take some trial and error, but he enjoys those kind of challenges. Visual upgrades are way down on my list of priorities, so I have not had him pull the trigger on it yet, but I'm sure you can find someone to match it for your very very close.

IMG_4096.jpg

Chase, a good paint shop can match it close enough that you will probably be the only one that knows! Our shop is next to an automotive paint supplier in which the owner works in the back every day. He said absolutely no problem matching my unknown olive green faded color in an aerosol can so I can patina match my hard doors. He said it would take some trial and error, but he enjoys those kind of challenges. Visual upgrades are way down on my list of priorities, so I have not had him pull the trigger on it yet, but I'm sure you can find someone to match it for your very very close.

View attachment 3063219
Are those 20 series headlight trim rings? :D
Thanks for the info. I will see what the local paint place can whip up.

View attachment 3063219
I thought you were using that image to show how good the match was. I was thinking uhhhh…. But saw you hadn’t done it yet. That’s what I get for going straight to the pics.

I thought you were using that image to show how good the match was. I was thinking uhhhh…. But saw you hadn’t done it yet. That’s what I get for going straight to the pics.
I was basically saying yes it can be done, but you need to find the right person with experience and willingness to solve the problem. No different than walking into an autozone looking for an obscure part and having the high schooler with dyed blue hair ask you for make model year and if it doesn't come up on their computer they cannot help you, versus walking into an old Napa with a parts guy that has been greasy for 50 years and doesn't need a computer to find you your part. There is a solution to every problem, just need to find the right person!

I'm stoked for Chase that he has his rig with him and can tinker on it, and I'm looking forward to putting some money in his pocket to help his addiction when the 4 on tree adapters hit the market!

I guess I'm a little late to this party but it sure brings back great memories. I wish I could chase down my first FJ40--a 1970 in the same color and about the same condition new to me in 1984. I did almost all the same stuff/upgrades as you and learned a lot. Sold it to a body shop guy in Middletown, CT. I would buy it back if ever found.

I was basically saying yes it can be done, but you need to find the right person with experience and willingness to solve the problem. No different than walking into an autozone looking for an obscure part and having the high schooler with dyed blue hair ask you for make model year and if it doesn't come up on their computer they cannot help you, versus walking into an old Napa with a parts guy that has been greasy for 50 years and doesn't need a computer to find you your part. There is a solution to every problem, just need to find the right person!

I'm stoked for Chase that he has his rig with him and can tinker on it, and I'm looking forward to putting some money in his pocket to help his addiction when the 4 on tree adapters hit the market!
Ha! Very good examples there. :)
I am super excited about the 4 on the tree setup! It's been such a fun community effort at this point. :cheers:

Happy to find metric screws that look and function the part for the front splash guard! Also M5 x0.9 mm yellow zinc bolts for the grill. Belmetric with the goods. Yes I will chase the threads on the M5 studs :p I love finding the right JIS hardware for the job. The little things add up!
05E00D76-FD8B-41FD-9D69-C58C5B0E1A36.jpeg

202D3D8C-AC8A-4E06-B9BE-2C39A4C12F5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Night moves. Sometimes the only time you get to turn a wrench is late in the night. Maybe it's the heady brew of curing paint, cosmoline, PB-blaster, gasoline, oil and rust dust, but it sure is intoxicating working on this old tractor. :smokin:
IMG_8399.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom