Building a new house and shop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have known to have vulture habits. It’s a cruiser thing.

1622261536150.png

I need a few of these.

We've had a lot of rain here for the last 2-3 weeks. The ground is pretty saturated, so a lot just runs off now. Here is a video I took of our usually trickling waterfall yesterday:

The rain is tapering off; after that last big storm that filled up the waterfalls and creeks as above, we've had hardly any for 6-7 days and then another 1.5" this morning. The sun came out after that, and Mrs. 1911 went to check on her bee hive. They're busy as well, bees, making brood (the yellow cells) and honey (the white cells).

FTRQ2949[1].JPEG

The rain is tapering off; after that last big storm that filled up the waterfalls and creeks as above, we've had hardly any for 6-7 days and then another 1.5" this morning. The sun came out after that, and Mrs. 1911 went to check on her bee hive. They're busy as well, bees, making brood (the yellow cells) and honey (the white cells).

View attachment 2697438
That’s a killer laying pattern from your queen. We went from 2 hives this spring to 5. Our bees are saskatraz and decided to swarm this spring no matter how much space we made them. I caught 2 swarms and the wife made a last minute split.

18134198-5707-43C9-833C-B43440799991.jpeg

That’s a killer laying pattern from your queen. We went from 2 hives this spring to 5. Our bees are saskatraz and decided to swarm this spring no matter how much space we made them. I caught 2 swarms and the wife made a last minute split.

Good to know, thanks. We are bee-keeping novices. Our current population has grown a lot since we got the nuc box, and the mrs. has already added several supers to the box. She also has a plastic nuc box ready to go to try and catch another swarm.

Good to know, thanks. We are bee-keeping novices. Our current population has grown a lot since we got the nuc box, and the mrs. has already added several supers to the box. She also has a plastic nuc box ready to go to try and catch another swarm.
I want to build a shop vac swarm tool but always run out of time.

I posted in the pig shooting thread (in the hunting and fishing sub-forum) that I was in the process of building a pig trap. The feral hogs are multiplying and beginning to be a nuisance, tearing up the ground but also trying to get into the chicken run. Anyway, here is a photo of the semi-permanent trap an experienced local friend and I built. It's finished except for the trigger for the trap. When the hogs are accustomed to coming in through the trap gate and eating consistently, we will add the trigger. I need to get out my 7.62 x 51 rifle which has been in the safe for a long time and make sure it is lubed and ready to go for the big ones.

IMG_1846[1].JPG

A small project that only took an hour but I hope will reap benefits for years to come: I installed a drip irrigation system for the five bur oak trees I planted on the hill above the house:

IMG_1847[1].JPG

The water well and pressure tank is at the bottom of the hill next to the house, so I just ran a hose from there up the hill to a 1/2" poly trunk line, and 1/4' lines with emitters coming off of that for each sapling. Easy enough to add more emitters in years to come as the trees get bigger.

Mrs. 1911 likes it well enough that now she wants a similar system for her tomato plants in flower beds next to the apartment/shop.

(Cross-posted with the Pig Shooting thread in the Hunting & Fishing sub-forum)

First night's result of the pig trap, one sow and two piglets. Had hoped for more; will continue to bait and set the trap.

IMG_1855[1].JPG

A quick update, maybe even some progress: We got the builder back over the weekend to measure for windows. He's supposed to order them from a custom place soon; haven't heard back with a price yet, but at least the ball is rolling to get the house completely enclosed and dried in.

I continue to get hogs in the trap; was getting some every 3-4 days, now it has tapered off. I don't think I've put a significant sent in their population, I think it's just getting drier this time of year and they are elsewhere looking for water. Our creek has all but stopped; there's a trickle still coming over the waterfall but that's a long way upstream from the pig trap. I keep it open and baited but nothing has set it off for a week or more. I have a game camera set up to watch the trail and the trap gate - I need to go retrieve the chip and see what it shows.

Bees continue to do well and seem healthy.

(Cross-posted with the Pig Shooting thread in the Hunting & Fishing sub-forum)

First night's result of the pig trap, one sow and two piglets. Had hoped for more; will continue to bait and set the trap.

View attachment 2710834
that FAL though 💦

A quick update, maybe even some progress: We got the builder back over the weekend to measure for windows. He's supposed to order them from a custom place soon; haven't heard back with a price yet, but at least the ball is rolling to get the house completely enclosed and dried in.

I continue to get hogs in the trap; was getting some every 3-4 days, now it has tapered off. I don't think I've put a significant sent in their population, I think it's just getting drier this time of year and they are elsewhere looking for water. Our creek has all but stopped; there's a trickle still coming over the waterfall but that's a long way upstream from the pig trap. I keep it open and baited but nothing has set it off for a week or more. I have a game camera set up to watch the trail and the trap gate - I need to go retrieve the chip and see what it shows.

Bees continue to do well and seem healthy.
Glad to hear that progress is approaching. I’d imagine drying in the house will allow you to make small but meaningful steps on some of the interior scopes that maybe you’re planning on doing yourself? Lumber prices are falling!

@1911, can’t wait to hear how long it takes for window’s. We just ordered some Marvin’s for our renovation and were told 20 weeks. That push our stucco to spring. Fu*k this COVID s**t!

Glad to hear that progress is approaching. I’d imagine drying in the house will allow you to make small but meaningful steps on some of the interior scopes that maybe you’re planning on doing yourself? Lumber prices are falling!

Thanks. Yes, that is the plan - I hope to learn how to do the plastering, and plan on building the simpler interior walls and doing the plumbing. Maybe even some of the finish wiring.

@1911, can’t wait to hear how long it takes for window’s. We just ordered some Marvin’s for our renovation and were told 20 weeks. That push our stucco to spring. Fu*k this COVID s**t!

Sorry to hear about your delay, but not surprised. Marvin's are nice windows.

We're having Don Young Company in Dallas make ours; they're supposed to be super energy efficient and reasonable cost. Replacement Windows & Patio Doors Vinyl & Aluminum - https://www.dycwindows.com/default.aspx

I meant to say in my post above, that they are running at least 90 days behind schedule from both Covid and the building boom all over north Texas. Not quite as bad as yours, but we'll see - it's going to be winter anyway before they can be in. Winters are pretty mild here so no big deal on that account, just time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom