Broken axle housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this has been posted but thought it’s worth mentioning. This is the second Navtec 80 series I have seen with the housing broken off right at the bracket for the panhard on the passenger side. While the Navtec 80’s see a lot of off-road mileage none of it is particularly hardcore. Seeing as how most 80 series failures all seem to be consistent, it might not be a bad idea for the guys loaded really heavy or doing serious off-road trails to take a look at this area.

Last edited:
I love it!!!!! Trail Mater is an awesome truck. So cool to see Rory use his truck to swap an axle like that, almost like he has done it before lol.

If I ever get desperate enough I will call Rory before I would ever call Matt lol. Even if I was stuck at Sand Hollow.

I bet those navtec 80's get used hard.

Brings back memories ... I backed a trailer up the shelf road to make that last ugly switchback. In the dark.

Great job guys!

I love it!!!!! Trail Mater is an awesome truck. So cool to see Rory use his truck to swap an axle like that, almost like he has done it before lol.

If I ever get desperate enough I will call Rory before I would ever call Matt lol. Even if I was stuck at Sand Hollow.

I bet those navtec 80's get used hard.
Yeah I think the other Navtec 80 with the broken axle housing was on Matt’s channel within the last month?

They get used a lot but I don’t think they are really abused. They aren’t overloaded with a lot of extras like some 80’s and they don’t do any seriously tough trails.

Yeah I think the other Navtec 80 with the broken axle housing was on Matt’s channel within the last month?

They get used a lot but I don’t think they are really abused. They aren’t overloaded with a lot of extras like some 80’s and they don’t do any seriously tough trails.

It seems to me that any vehicle that is used for a business gets abused. Would you ever buy a used cop car, delivery pick up truck, or taxi?

It seems to me that any vehicle that is used for a business gets abused. Would you ever buy a used cop car, delivery pick up truck, or taxi?
NavTec 80’s don’t get slammed on. They run the same predictable trails day after day and the drivers know the trails well. Time and repetition takes it’s own toll by causing fatigue.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

I've come across the Navtec Cruisers/guys a number of times on Elephant Hill. I think that's probably one of the harder trails they will do in those trucks. So like was mentioned, I don't think they get hammered on the trails but the repeated use I'm sure takes its toll since they are seeing trails miles day in and day out. That being said, I think that Navtec tries to keep them maintained pretty well. The axle housing breakage is a hard one to predict and plan for during routine maintenance. The video is a good one to remind us all who do wheel regularly to inspect that area of the housing often.

Definitely looking at me some axle gussets and some radius arm mount plates....

Or link it..

Not the same break but related...the whole rear section of radius arm mount was broken off. Took some of the axle tube.
20221001_151119.jpg
20221001_152531.jpg

I recently repaired a completely broken off left radius arm bracket. Only the bracket was broken, not the housing or even the factory bracket welds. The passenger side had the same crack beginning.

I welded the bracket back together then plated over the both sides of both brackets. I did add two gussets to the outside of the driver side bracket but then thought perhaps that was overkill and didn’t add the gussets to the outside of the passenger arm bracket. I think I’ll go ahead and do a that as soon as time permits. I’ve deleted the pics from my phone but what I did was recorded I my thread a couple months ago.

Not sure if this has been posted but thought it’s worth mentioning. This is the second Navtec 80 series I have seen with the housing broken off right at the bracket for the panhard on the passenger side. While the Navtec 80’s see a lot of off-road mileage none of it is particularly hardcore. Seeing as how most 80 series failures all seem to be consistent, it might not be a bad idea for the guys loaded really heavy or doing serious off-road trails to take a look at this area.
I'm glad you posted this. I've been thinking about that break and how long that rig has been used in an off-road environment on a daily basis.
I'm also thinking about gussets in that area...but you don't see this failure brought up very often, so probably overkill for my use.
Any of the Aussie's see this?

Quite a well-known break area, globally. Discussed many times before.

Toyota addressed it with the 105 axle housing assemblies by reinforcing the welding at the axle housing

After mine broke on the Dusy Ershim about 13 years ago, I welded gussets on mine immediately.
do you have any photos of the gussets

We were camping at the Devil's kitchen one year when one of the Navtec 80 made an U turn with clients onboard. CLICK CLICK CLICK from a broken from birf cracked us up!!!

I too am curious about gusseting this area, should be an easy thing to do.

I recently repaired a completely broken off left radius arm bracket. Only the bracket was broken, not the housing or even the factory bracket welds. The passenger side had the same crack beginning.

I welded the bracket back together then plated over the both sides of both brackets. I did add two gussets to the outside of the driver side bracket but then thought perhaps that was overkill and didn’t add the gussets to the outside of the passenger arm bracket. I think I’ll go ahead and do a that as soon as time permits. I’ve deleted the pics from my phone but what I did was recorded I my thread a couple months ago.

is this concept similar to "trussing" the lower part of the axle housing that the rock crawlers do these days?

is this concept similar to "trussing" the lower part of the axle housing that the rock crawlers do these days?
Here is what I did but don’t know if this is an actual solution. The rear section of both sides of the arm bracket broke complete off so I plated over both sides and then added the two gussets on one side. I still need to put the gussets on the outside passenger side bracket and maybe also add some to the inside of driver side bracket. Initially, the reason for the gussets was to support the bracket but this thread shows us what else can happen. One day I’ll remove the housing from the vehicle and add a truss over the top and also knuckle ball gussets.

D2FDAFFA-8E69-4FF9-8BE2-914A355EE24E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom