Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rubber going thru it is eaten up a little by whatever coating someone sprayed on it. If it is of no use or not original, I can weld it shut and refinish it when i refinish the air cleaner box and lid, but if I can use it to keep something functional that would be preferred. Thanks again

The rubber going thru it is eaten up a little by whatever coating someone sprayed on it. If it is of no use or not original, I can weld it shut and refinish it when i refinish the air cleaner box and lid, but if I can use it to keep something functional that would be preferred. Thanks again

Oh its all rubber? Yea I'd ditch it and weld it up smooth. If you're desmogged there's nothing really to keep it for. If you aren't, you could keep it and plumb the hoses that vent into the intake through that

Forgot to put these up.

So for the alternator hold down option - use below part numbers. Best option I've found after buying a few different bolts. This is the nicest way to replace the damaged alternator hardware currently from Toyota. All can be had at your local dealer.

91611-60850 - bolt w/washer
90119-08888 - bolt w/washer
90719-08123 - nut
16385-17010 - slider block
90201 - 08135 - washer plate

Next is vacuum caps.

90339-03005 - for 3mm hose barbs
90339-07018 - for 8mm hose barbs
90339-03002 - for 3mm barbs (more expensive and taller. My least favorite option. Stick with -03005 for everything 3mm, but listing as an option)

AUuBRFX.jpg

h5LDqRo.jpg

O8e7gvX.jpg

gxky5fw.jpg

Forgot to put these up.

So for the alternator hold down option - use below part numbers. Best option I've found after buying a few different bolts. This is the nicest way to replace the damaged alternator hardware currently from Toyota. All can be had at your local dealer.

90719-08123 - nut

Next is vacuum caps.

90339-03002 - for 3mm barbs (more expensive and taller. My least favorite option. Stick with -03005 for everything 3mm, but listing as an option)

AUuBRFX.jpg

h5LDqRo.jpg

O8e7gvX.jpg

gxky5fw.jpg
Just want to say I appreciate you sharing the part numbers on your posts. :cheers:

What are your thoughts in the 5-speed? Are you still running 3.70 gears with it? How useful is 5th gear?

Love the 5spd. Still has 3.7s and if I was on 33s, I wouldn't change them out. I've considered getting 33s to daily on and keep the 35s for fun. I needed the lower 1st and 2nd more than a 5th gear however the 5th is a pleasant addition. I can cruise at 80 (when flat) consistently with 35s. Any climbs I have to drop down to 4th and sometimes 3rd if its a really long steep grade like the grapevine or a mountain pass. I think 4.10s would make the 35s even better with the h55.

Forgot to put these up.

90719-08123 - nut

Next is vacuum caps.

AUuBRFX.jpg

h5LDqRo.jpg

O8e7gvX.jpg

gxky5fw.jpg

Good work here.

Hey, just curious what you did with the egr at the intake and the PCV routing with your non us setup? Any pics? THanks

Suppose I never put it in here. I took a chance on a carb'd 3F pcv vent hardline I found on partsouq (happened to be the last one it seems). Stuck it on initially and it didn't seem to work. Tried again months later when manifold was off and test fit....sure enough, an ever so slight tweak at the bend (no effort at all) and a spacer between the manifold and bracket and it fit perfectly.

LY0wFP8.jpg

Q6QK5k1.jpg

Haven't seen anyone else do this before on a 2F...so if you come across a used/new one, it will work great! Hands down the nicest option I think.

Thanks a bunch! I will keep searching the world wide. I found a couple other slight surprises under all that STUFF!

Suppose I never put it in here. I took a chance on a carb'd 3F pcv vent hardline I found on partsouq (happened to be the last one it seems). Stuck it on initially and it didn't seem to work. Tried again months later when manifold was off and test fit....sure enough, an ever so slight tweak at the bend (no effort at all) and a spacer between the manifold and bracket and it fit perfectly.

So, do you not run the carb fan sensor and just have the wire grounded?

Precisely. I considered installing the sensor but I don't mind it running every time I shut the truck off.
Mine has been like that for years. It’s funny how many conversations have started with “hey, I think there’s a fan running on your truck”

Mine has been like that for years. It’s funny how many conversations have started with “hey, I think there’s a fan running on your truck”

All. The. Time. Then explain what a carb is, haha.

My friend just shipped his 60 to Hawaii and he got in and fan wasn't working...apparently the shippers unplugged the fan just in case. Kinda impressed.

Having fun going through your thread and really liking the detailed parts finds with associated part numbers. And now I read you are also an early 911 guy. Pretty cool right there. I have been an early 911 owner for a long time and thankfully got in way before the bubble. Still have them and have cycled through a couple others. 69 hotrod is my go to - you hip to R Gruppe?

I am new to 60 ownership and I find this group to be a lot like early 911 owners (well, the older school guys anyway). I got a really low mileage rig and am going through it now cleaning 35 years of crud out of it and seeing what we have and what needs to be done going forward. Really cool rig and am having a ball with it. Sadly, the salt season has begun, so it is safely parked until Spring. Thanks for all your efforts documenting the work. Sure will help a lot of us get to know these rigs.

Cool to see SAS in the San Juans. Missed you guys by a week as we got to Telluride 8/16. Would have been cool to see you trek through town. Been going out there for 30 years or so and it has changed a lot since then. We have a 79 CJ-5 out there that has been all over the mountains of CO. It's seen Black Bear Pass more than several times. I think I have done it at least three times - no more though. Very little room for error. We'll be out there for a couple months again next year just like this. I'll try to overlap SAS.

Last edited:
@mattressking

Thanks for the hook up. Recently went back to the stock alternator from the Mean Green. After two alt brackets and a custom spacer made, I just couldn’t get the Mean Green to run the belt anywhere near straight and it was starting to throw belts. Your kit of hardware is right on the money.

Here’s a pic of it. I’ll take it off again and paint the little block to avoid rust and add some anti seize to the long bolt.

912766C2-322B-4EAC-902E-F277E8092578.jpeg

@mattressking

I will be ordering based off of your post also, thank you for documenting.

@joebattle1

I like that "shelf" your fuse block is sitting on.

thanks. it’s just some bent sheet metal with some holes in it. You can see how it got made in my build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom