77 Hilux pick up bed trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went and picked this homemade job up a few months back. I've done a small amount of work so far on it. I have big dreams... We'll see how far I get. I was sort of on the lookout for a 22re 2wd pick up so I could make dump runs and hardware store runs in and not mess up my 60 loading lumber in and out of it. Then my wife started giving me guff about having another car parked around the house. So I thought... This solves my problem and now I'm only parking half a car. Luckily she thought it was cute and I hustled this kids picnic table into the deal as well. Originally I was looking for an 85 toyota pickup bed trailer but I lost one that was all ready lifted with big tires trying to lowball the dude like a jerk. This one came up a few weeks later. This one was a lot cheaper and I dig the color scheme and the patina so I'm ok with it being a 77 and not the 85.

My plans are to build a tube rack that can support a roof top tent and build a set of drawers below in the bed. I was thinking of having a custom mattress made for on top of the drawers and sewing up a canvas cover for it. This way the kids can sleep in the RTT and the wife and I can sleep right below them in the bed. Just brain storming... Open to all your ideas as well.
IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

View attachment 1654583

Last edited:
Interesting tid bit here... Toyota shipped the early pick ups aka the "Hilux" to the USA without the beds. I'm guessing they did this for a couple of reasons. 1. So they could stack more of them on the boat. 2. The US offered some sort of import tariff relief if part of the truck was made in the USA. This company LB Fabricators was contracted to make the beds for the Toyota pick up once they hit US soil.
IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

I dig these original Toyota hub caps but they will probably have to go. I plan to match my 60 wheel and tire set up.
IMG_2163.jpg

Last edited:
IIloke your trailer. Interesting about the Long Beach fabricators. I have a trailer like this. I thought the tag was by the company that turned the truck into into a trailer. Mine isn't as clean as yours but rust free and solid. PO used flat gray house paint on it so would blend in with her house. It was a nice green originally. Mine had 14" white spokes with rotted tires. Had some 15" Camry rims I put some 31X10.50X15s on for now. Not sure but may relocate spring perches on a old FJ40 rear axle to get the six bolt lug pattern. Just want to be sure the stock FJ40 rims with these tires will still be within the fenders. Do not plan on a lift. That defeats the purpose of a tailgate being easier to load then my stock M416.

All the wiring is pretty brittle. I buy a 7 pin and some knock off aftermarket tail lights on ebay and get to re-wiring the whole thing.

IMG_2406.jpg

I get the 7 pin for a couple of reasons. 1. I want the lights to work just like they do on my truck instead of just 4 red lights like most trailers. Since the trailer has orange turn signals and white reverse lights, I want those to work just like my truck tail lights. 2. I want an open 12v line for accessories.
IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

I go and get new used tires from my buddy's tire shop cause the ones that came on it are totally rotten. Go see him for tires. Great guy. Don's Tire in Berkeley CA. He's a hard core Jeep guy but don't hold that against him.

IMG_2707.jpg

Test fitting my 33" on the Hilux. My lug pattern doesnt currently work so this is just a demo. I need to buy a new axle set up first with the 60 bolt pattern.
IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Used this old industrial clothing rack we've got at the house which makes for a great parts paint hanger. Rattle canned up the primer then the black. What do ya think?

IMG_4249.jpg

Ground down the welds then primer/painted them so the box seats flush or sorta flush.
IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

Last edited:
IIloke your trailer. Interesting about the Long Beach fabricators. I have a trailer like this. I thought the tag was by the company that turned the truck into into a trailer. Mine isn't as clean as yours but rust free and solid. PO used flat gray house paint on it so would blend in with her house. It was a nice green originally. Mine had 14" white spokes with rotted tires. Had some 15" Camry rims I put some 31X10.50X15s on for now. Not sure but may relocate spring perches on a old FJ40 rear axle to get the six bolt lug pattern. Just want to be sure the stock FJ40 rims with these tires will still be within the fenders. Do not plan on a lift. That defeats the purpose of a tailgate being easier to load then my stock M416.

You have a good point about lifting the trailer and access... The height of the tailgate now is perfect for a low boy work bench. Im trying to get the truck lifted between 3-6 inches so shouldn't negatively impact it to much.

I'm trying to figure out how to lift it and what axle I should buy etc... I found a rear suspension for a first gen pick up but it's $700 way more than I want to spend. I'm thinking junk yard for some chevy leafs maybe. I don't know....

You have a good point about lifting the trailer and access... The height of the tailgate now is perfect for a low boy work bench. Im trying to get the truck lifted between 3-6 inches so shouldn't negatively impact it to much.

I'm trying to figure out how to lift it and what axle I should buy etc... I found a rear suspension for a first gen pick up but it's $700 way more than I want to spend. I'm thinking junk yard for some chevy leafs maybe. I don't know....

I was watching Craigslist and seen a tool box that would have been a good deal since it was angled on the front corners and didn't jump on it. Haven't seen one that would have worked as well since. I am hoping to relocate the spare tire carrier a little further forward and use a 60 series chain hoist which is teh same bolt pattern. Problem is as I'm sure you are aware is having enough weight forward of the axle. As much as I like this trailer that is the down side of one made from a pickup bed. Figure a tool box on the front will need to be weight with something all the time with a spare underneath. Not as bad as mounting a spare on the bad. My main long distance tow vehicle is a 2nd generation Sequoia so a spare is a must.

Not sure if I need to beef up the stock suspension. When I haul heavy stuff it usually short distance at slow speed. Had dirt filled to the top of the bed and is was find but that was with smaller tires. I have a number of 40 series axles around. One even has the centered diff. Figure on a semi floater just pull ring gear. My concern is will the oil move around as much without a ring gear. I also have a early full floater figure could remove diff and inner axles then install drive plates from a front axle and spare semi floater diff cover. $700 is way more than I paid for the trailer and have a lot of 40 series parts laying around I can use.

I love it wish I would have held out for a Toyota bed but found a nice Datsun bed from the 70’s. I have a build thread in this section. Use a drop axle for the lift and keep the stock leafs. I have more flare material like I used on mine if your interested as well. Just search datsun trailer it should pop up.

I have no issues with loading and even have Had a dirt bike on the tongue of my trailer. Pulls great with some weight on the tongue

Last edited:
I was watching Craigslist and seen a tool box that would have been a good deal since it was angled on the front corners and didn't jump on it. Haven't seen one that would have worked as well since. I am hoping to relocate the spare tire carrier a little further forward and use a 60 series chain hoist which is teh same bolt pattern. Problem is as I'm sure you are aware is having enough weight forward of the axle. As much as I like this trailer that is the down side of one made from a pickup bed. Figure a tool box on the front will need to be weight with something all the time with a spare underneath. Not as bad as mounting a spare on the bad. My main long distance tow vehicle is a 2nd generation Sequoia so a spare is a must.

Not sure if I need to beef up the stock suspension. When I haul heavy stuff it usually short distance at slow speed. Had dirt filled to the top of the bed and is was find but that was with smaller tires. I have a number of 40 series axles around. One even has the centered diff. Figure on a semi floater just pull ring gear. My concern is will the oil move around as much without a ring gear. I also have a early full floater figure could remove diff and inner axles then install drive plates from a front axle and spare semi floater diff cover. $700 is way more than I paid for the trailer and have a lot of 40 series parts laying around I can use.

I never really considered a cut corner box. They also don't seam to make any that are as wide as I wanted. My DeeZee bos is 46" wide. The biggest cut corner I can find is about 35" wide. I looked on Craigslist for a box for a long time and then finally bit the bullet and bought the DEEZEE from Summit Racing. It was about $200 bucks. It's really roomy inside. I need to figure out where I'm going to mount the propane tank.

I'm a bit stumped on what to do about suspension and rear end. I'm still working through that in my head.

Last edited:
I love it wish I would have held out for a Toyota bed but found a nice Datsun bed from the 70’s. I have a build thread in this section. Use a drop axle for the lift and keep the stock leafs. I have more flare material like I used on mine if your interested as well. Just search datsun trailer it should pop up.

I have no issues with loading and even have Had a dirt bike on the tongue of my trailer. Pulls great with some weight on the tongue

Thanks, Yea I saw a few Datsun bed trailers but I'm a dork and wanted all matching Toyoda equipment. It took me a while to get over the trailer not being an 85.

The bed is only 6' long. I figure if I get a dirtbike or a quad, I'll have to leave the gate down to tow it.

@joebattle1, just source 4wd mini truck axle. that'll give you the 6lug pattern you're after n you can mount an alternator to the pinion flange to charge your trailer battery for camp purposes

Thanks, Yea I saw a few Datsun bed trailers but I'm a dork and wanted all matching Toyoda equipment. It took me a while to get over the trailer not being an 85.

The bed is only 6' long. I figure if I get a dirtbike or a quad, I'll have to leave the gate down to tow it.

I found that drz400 fits corner to corner tall gate up. And one of 2 250cc bike fit straight tail gate up. My big trip had 2 in the bed tail gate off and the 400 across the tongue.

A7A14C78-34F2-4298-8419-6A6B015959ED.jpeg

@joebattle1, just source 4wd mini truck axle. that'll give you the 6lug pattern you're after n you can mount an alternator to the pinion flange to charge your trailer battery for camp purposes
I kind of like the alt. concept. But really just buy a drop axle to spec. Couple hundred use existing springs. Either spring under or over bepending on the lift your after. Start with springs by over with your current axle to see what height your after. I ended up with spring under with 4” drop but cut the genders to accommodate 35” tires lightly loaded used 33 for the trip with 3 bikes for clearance needed with that load.

I’d guess your not wanting to cut your fenders. Based on other comments.

I found that drz400 fits corner to corner tall gate up. And one of 2 250cc bike fit straight tail gate up. My big trip had 2 in the bed tail gate off and the 400 across the tongue.

I kind of like the alt. concept. But really just buy a drop axle to spec. Couple hundred use existing springs. Either spring under or over depending on the lift your after. Start with springs by over with your current axle to see what height your after. I ended up with spring under with 4” drop but cut the genders to accommodate 35” tires lightly loaded used 33 for the trip with 3 bikes for clearance needed with that load.

I’d guess your not wanting to cut your fenders. Based on other comments.

That trailer is the coolest! dig the wheels, dig the stance, really like the color scheme. Sits perfect behind your 80 (also sweet).
Yea, No cutting fenders. Maybe just a spring over. That should get me what I'm after.

Man... I love the alternator idea. Solar when sitting... Trailer wheels charging when rolling. Tell me more... I need to do some research on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom