Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So. I found an NOS rear wiper switch from a Toyota Corona. It's identical in functionality as a 60 switch - so I'm trying to decide. Do I run the new one or repair my spare and run that and keep the NOS guy for later. I'm leaning towards repairing the stock one. The reason for all this is due to the 62 dash swap and disagreement between rear wiper functionality and switch size. Thankfully the 62 dash has one switch opening that matches the 60 dash switches, so it gets the rear wiper switch and extended harness made by @ToyotaMatt . Then I'll be all back to normal functionality post dash swap.

YzhX2dTh.jpg

t06blJmh.jpg

JwpaCyZh.jpg

So. I found an NOS rear wiper switch from a Toyota Corona. It's identical in functionality as a 60 switch - so I'm trying to decide. Do I run the new one or repair my spare and run that and keep the NOS guy for later. I'm leaning towards repairing the stock one. The reason for all this is due to the 62 dash swap and disagreement between rear wiper functionality and switch size. Thankfully the 62 dash has one switch opening that matches the 60 dash switches, so it gets the rear wiper switch and extended harness made by @ToyotaMatt . Then I'll be all back to normal functionality post dash swap.

YzhX2dTh.jpg

t06blJmh.jpg

JwpaCyZh.jpg
The 62 dash sticks out farther than the 60 dash and so you need an extended harness? Or are the extensions adapter pieces so 62 switches interface with the 60 harness smoothly?

The 62 dash sticks out farther than the 60 dash and so you need an extended harness? Or are the extensions adapter pieces so 62 switches interface with the 60 harness smoothly?

Extension harness because the 60 wiper switch only fits in the switch opening to the left of the steering column on a 62 dash. So it will go from the original switch position plug under the hvac across behind cluster over to where the dimmer switch is.

I tried to find 62 sized switches for rear wipers and ultimately landed on the easiest one being the 60 switch with extension. Plug and play - no fuss. Every other switch I found uses the intermittent relay and requires a couple wire changes. I looked at ae86, 80s 4runners, cressida/corona, celica supra, and Toyota Van. Toyota Van/AE86 are the closest as they are the correct size and are non-intermittent and +12v routes through the switch instead of relay - but then I had to make an adapter harness and it doesn't look - exact like the other switches. I did find that Toyota van rear wiper switch is still available new.

Last edited:
Extension harness because the 60 wiper switch only fits in the switch opening to the left of the steering column on a 62 dash. So it will go from the original switch position plug under the hvac across behind cluster over to where the dimmer switch is.

I tried to find 62 sized switches for rear wipers and ultimately landed on the easiest one being the 60 switch with extension. Plug and play - no fuss. Every other switch I found uses the intermittent relay and requires a couple wire changes. I looked at ae86, 80s 4runners, cressida/corona, celica supra, and Toyota Van. Toyota Van/AE86 are the closest as they are the correct size and are non-intermittent and +12v routes through the switch instead of relay - but then I had to make an adapter harness and it doesn't look - exact like the other switches. I did find that Toyota van rear wiper switch is still available new.
Got it, makes sense then. Not sure if this of any help but maybe you can find the two connectors you would need from this? https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/WireHarnessRepairManual/malenonw.pdf
Also this: Toyota Connector List - http://www.dealerquickparts.net/Clist.aspx
Toyota connectors are something I would love to learn more about, especially how to find replacements. The terminals themselves seem easy enough to source though!

Got it, makes sense then. Not sure if this of any help but maybe you can find the two connectors you would need from this? https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/WireHarnessRepairManual/malenonw.pdf
Also this: Toyota Connector List - http://www.dealerquickparts.net/Clist.aspx
Toyota connectors are something I would love to learn more about, especially how to find replacements. The terminals themselves seem easy enough to source though!
I never had the pdf of the wiring manual, you're the man for that!

In regards to the connectors - I have plenty of spares - I swipe every connector I can't get new at the junkyard when I come across clean ones. Toyota made it real easy in the 80s, haha! One terminal I found is hard, the 2.8mm tangless. Toyota Matt got a lead on them - so I just went through him for the terminals instead of hunting for only 10. The rest of the spades are general use from a few vendors. 62s use a 2.3mm for dash items often as well, those are much more common.

For terminal housings - Yazaki and Sumitomo are the best options for new housings, however I found that Tokai Rika will take inquiries - whether they will actually help - not sure just yet. Haven't had to chase one down that hard yet.

corsa-tecnic
cycle terminal
eastern beaver
nexus

Are all great resources. Start reading into Molex connectors and ratcheting crimpers. Lots of cool stuff! Right now I'm hunting for 16awg wire - that is proving to be the hard one for me.

I never had the pdf of the wiring manual, you're the man for that!

In regards to the connectors - I have plenty of spares - I swipe every connector I can't get new at the junkyard when I come across clean ones. Toyota made it real easy in the 80s, haha! One terminal I found is hard, the 2.8mm tangless. Toyota Matt got a lead on them - so I just went through him for the terminals instead of hunting for only 10. The rest of the spades are general use from a few vendors. 62s use a 2.3mm for dash items often as well, those are much more common.

For terminal housings - Yazaki and Sumitomo are the best options for new housings, however I found that Tokai Rika will take inquiries - whether they will actually help - not sure just yet. Haven't had to chase one down that hard yet.

corsa-tecnic
cycle terminal
eastern beaver
nexus

Are all great resources. Start reading into Molex connectors and ratcheting crimpers. Lots of cool stuff! Right now I'm hunting for 16awg wire - that is proving to be the hard one for me.
Good info! Thanks! I had known about cycle terminal (lots of good stuff there) but not others. More rabbit hole fun! :)

Did you check with @Coolerman for your wiring needs? Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm
He has lots of great multicolored wire. I used it for my seat heat and kill switch install.

Good info! Thanks! I had known about cycle terminal (lots of good stuff there) but not others. More rabbit hole fun! :)

Did you check with @Coolerman for your wiring needs? Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm
He has lots of great multicolored wire. I used it for my seat heat and kill switch install.
I have actually - realized its the same kinda stuff I had been using already. I was looking to find straight tracer wire, as opposed to the spiral. That's just me...getting far too anal. Figure since I have the time to search - why not get what I want?

I have actually - realized its the same kinda stuff I had been using already. I was looking to find straight tracer wire, as opposed to the spiral. That's just me...getting far too anal. Figure since I have the time to search - why not get what I want?
hahaha, I can fully appreciate that. :)

Thanks again for the info @mattressking , let us know if you find a good source for straight tracer wire :cheers:

Last edited:
Had to fix a wire on the back of a spare 60 rear wiper switch and came to realize I didn't like the open terminals...granted I don't think it has ever been an issue with shorting, I remembered Toyota heat shrinks the choke housings, so I figured why not.

EDIT: Don't do this. The tolerance is too tight when I tried to fit into 62 dash, had to remove :(

7MkQjJdh.jpg

En3mhJyh.jpg

Last edited:
Quick background - 62 dash swap killed the ability to use the stock switch in the usual spot. Over time I realized I'd like the wiper to work as designed - so I hunted for various switches with no luck and landed on the reality that there is one opening that fits the early switches - so rear wiper is the one to take it. Instead of making the intermittent work and change relays and such, an extension harness made the most sense. So I measured up the length of wiring I needed and the type of terminal and Matt whipped me up crimped wires. Wires came in and I quickly assembled with genuine connector housings and assembly took no time. I routed behind the cluster like the factory harness - doubt you could even tell it was aftermarket aside from the fact the tracer wires are spiraled instead of straight. Final result looks great to me! Decided not to use the corona switch for now - I'll keep it tucked away for a while longer.

rXaMpZyh.jpg

nsdcktah.jpg

i5LV9QHh.jpg

oyYynBJh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom