"Boarchata" - 1973 FJ55 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There were some moments during PP2019 that were reminiscent of a Baja 1000 race. There was one particular stretch on the way to Blue Lake where in some places I had to sustain 80 mph to keep up. A little sketchy because all I could see to follow was a giant cloud of dust.
My pig also seemed to like traveling longer dirt roads at a pretty speedy clip, with tire pressure between 15 - 20 psi to really help soften it up. The only casualty on one of those outings that I recall was a broken shock mount.
I helped out my uncle and a buddy of his who’s son was racing a Bronco in the Parker 450 in one of the stock classes back around 2009. After the first lap they showed up with both rear leaf packs broken, and a broken rear brake line. We swapped out leaf packs then folded over the brake line, smashed it flat, topped off the master and sent them off on lap two. Somewhere down the line, something else broke which needed welding. They waited for a mobile welder to show up and take care of them, but not long after, their alternator crapped out which left them stranded with no lights and an eventual DNF.

So, with that being said, how would you prep a 55 for a Baja 1000 race? 🤔😃

There were some moments during PP2019 that were reminiscent of a Baja 1000 race. There was one particular stretch on the way to Blue Lake where in some places I had to sustain 80 mph to keep up. A little sketchy because all I could see to follow was a giant cloud of dust.
My pig also seemed to like traveling longer dirt roads at a pretty speedy clip, with tire pressure between 15 - 20 psi to really help soften it up. The only casualty on one of those outings that I recall was a broken shock mount.
I helped out my uncle and a buddy of his who’s son was racing a Bronco in the Parker 450 in one of the stock classes back around 2009. After the first lap they showed up with both rear leaf packs broken, and a broken rear brake line. We swapped out leaf packs then folded over the brake line, smashed it flat, topped off the master and sent them off on lap two. Somewhere down the line, something else broke which needed welding. They waited for a mobile welder to show up and take care of them, but not long after, their alternator crapped out which left them stranded with no lights and an eventual DNF.

So, with that being said, how would you prep a 55 for a Baja 1000 race? 🤔😃

Very carefully. 😆

SCORE introduced a vintage class 5 years ago. Since then everyone who's tried has DNFd. A really cool old Bronco made it 700 miles this year before a leaf broke.

They shorten the course by about 200 miles for the vintage class (same as the class 11 "stock" VW bugs), so the average speed needed to finish within the allotted 40 hours is ~20mph.

Hasn't been done. Maybe it's not possible. Sounds like fun.

(And a great excuse to invest in getting the 55 how I want her while raising money for a great cause: UnfamedAdventure.com/race)

We did a Baja 60 in the 2018 Pig Party. We casually strolled in to that Toroweap Overlook to have a picnic. On the way out a few of us decided to turn the 2 hour trek into a 1 hour affair. Doing 60-70 on that dirt road and a few full sends over some cattle guards. I think my new front coil suspension would be nicer on that run now.

3D493B9A-0B50-4AE8-AF69-82958ADA5976.jpeg
7A516068-CE1E-41CC-86ED-4EB17B4407FA.jpeg
Hey guys, one of the safety the upgrades I want to add is a roll cage.

I ran into a fellow FJ55 owner online from Colorado who had a Redline Land Cruisers roll cage. He sent it with a buddy and we met near Monument Valley. I think these ran for around $1200 from Redline. He gave it to me for $250.

We won't talk about the gas money and time it took to drive over from San Diego, since it really was just a good excuse for a quick camping trip in the 100 series to see some beautiful country.

I have a guy here who will do the welding and help with the install. I'll post photos of the process once we dive into it.

Here are a few photos of the cage and of the quick trip to pick it up.

Last edited:
F02F0CC6-AB1F-4D2E-A1CB-EE2FE6D2D55B.jpeg
Gents, I'd like your opinion as I'm trying to finalize a decision on wheels & tires.

I have the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift ready to install, hopefully get it done in December.

My current plan is to run 285/75/r17 tires on 17x8.5 wheels with a -38 offset. This is a photo of Kevin R's rig with this setup (he said he just had move the exhaust a bit). That's an *almost* 34 inch tire.

A friend here is trying to convince me just to keep the 15 inch rims that I currently have and just run 33s.

It will definitely be cheaper to go 33s but here are my questions/concerns:
  • Is it going to look "balanced" on 33s?
  • Will I miss the ~1/2 inch of clearance? (Remember I plan to run the Baja in it)
  • Anything else I'm missing?

What do you think?

Jeff

Yep, 33”x10.5”-15’s on stock steel is all the rage right now. This is with or without hubcaps. Newer style aluminum wheels are normally shunned and dismissed with rolled eyes and a nasally exhale, but I do have to say the wheels and stance of the above shown 55 with the knee-level, mid-close photography looks pretty good.

I think 15 inch rim matches the vintage of a pig. I vote for 35 inch tires too. A 35 is about $100 more per tire in the 17in vs the 15.

Thanks for weighing in, guys.

The reason I had looked at 34s and the offset was because I understand that to be the largest tire I can run with the 2.5" lift. I polled a bunch of guys in the FJ55 Facebook group who have the same lift and this was my takeaway.

I'd love to run 35s if they'd fit.

And I couldn't find any 34s to run on my 15inch rims.

I already have the lift here on a pallet.

Anyone making vintage looking mags in 17”?

I’m thinking 5 slots or Hurricanes in 17”... :smokin:

Anyone making vintage looking mags in 17”?

I’m thinking 5 slots or Hurricanes in 17”... :smokin:

Something like that? There's a pig on Instagram that has a set in grey.

You can keep the vintage look and go with 16" steelies (City Racer) or similar in aluminum (FJ Company). Given that you will probably need about 20 to get through the Baja, my vote would be no larger than a 33". o_O

Yep, 33”x10.5”-15’s on stock steel is all the rage right now. This is with or without hubcaps. Newer style aluminum wheels are normally shunned and dismissed with rolled eyes and a nasally exhale, but I do have to say the wheels and stance of the above shown 55 with the knee-level, mid-close photography looks pretty good.
SLOTTED MAGS BITCHES 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 2849940View attachment 2849931Hey guys, one of the safety the upgrades I want to add is a roll cage.

I ran into a fellow FJ55 owner online from Colorado who had a Redline Land Cruisers roll cage. He sent it with a buddy and we met near Monument Valley. I think these ran for around $1200 from Redline. He gave it to me for $250.

We won't talk about the gas money and time it took to drive over from San Diego, since it really was just a good excuse for a quick camping trip in the 100 series to see some beautiful country.

I have a guy here who will do the welding and help with the install. I'll post photos of the process once we dive into it.

Here are a few photos of the cage and of the quick trip to pick it up.
@bobm is going to make the footwear comment in 5, 4, 3...

Gents, I'd like your opinion as I'm trying to finalize a decision on wheels & tires.

I have the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift ready to install, hopefully get it done in December.
What is an "Old Man Emu 2.5" lift" for a FJ-55?

If it uses the same front springs as "Kevin R's rig" above then you might want to re-think that kit or re-think Baja.

Very interested in this vintage race. Makes me want to give it a try!

@J Mack what would you recommend? He stated in earlier post (iirc) it basically had to be stock and they wouldn’t allow coils.

@J Mack what would you recommend? He stated in earlier post (iirc) it basically had to be stock and they wouldn’t allow coils.
rules.jpg

Stock concept is what the rules state and that is completely different than basically stock.

Old Man Emu doesn’t make a 55 specific kit so most that you see available are pieced together from springs designed for other vehicles, this by itself doesn’t make it bad just not something I would consider if I was building a vehicle to drive fast off road. I actually tried and failed miserably on my first outing. The Toyota front spring geometry on the FJ-55 was just OK for slow off road activity but falls way short at moderate speeds.

I’m not trying to poop in anyone’s parade but a Baja 1000 pig that hopes to finish wouldn’t be basically stock with OME 60/45 springs running 33” tires. It would take full advantage of the rules and have a redesigned stock concept long travel suspension, bypass shocks, air bumps and run the maximum tire size the class rules allow of 35” on beadlocks as a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom