"Boarchata" - 1973 FJ55 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
unfamedadventure.com
Hey all, I've posted previously as I've been working on this ol' rig for a year now. She's coming along great! I wanted to start a formal build thread to document Boarchata's progress. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback along the way.

VISION
A head-turning FJ55 that’s tough enough for 1000 mile off-road adventures, has enough creature comforts to use as my daily driver, all while staying true to her original soul.

PRINCIPLES
  • Made to be used (not just a showcar)
  • Built for trails first, daily driver second
  • Keep it original where feasible
  • Function first, then form

THE NAME, "BOARCHATA"
"Boar" comes from the FJ55's Iron Pig nickname--in this case a big, aggressive, wild one. And Horchata is a wonderful Mexican drink made from rice, that happens to be the same color as the FJ55. And we live on the border in San Diego with lots of Baja trips planned. How could she have any other name?

Last edited:
Here are some of the more minor upgrades I did this past year:

• Replaced battery with “Red Top” Optima
  • Replaced battery cable
  • Fabricated a stronger battery bracket
  • New alternator (Cruiser Corps)
  • New regulator (Cruiser Corps)

Welcome to the sty. What part of SD? I am in Scripps Ranch.
Quite a few of us have road worthy Pigs that can travel and navigate the trail quite well. Mine is in that group as I have done several long trips over 2000 miles. However my Pig is not very stock or "true to original soul." I am with you on the creature comforts tho. I have a/c, power windows, remote entry, Bluetooth stereo, on-board shower...
@fj55tlc probably has one of the more capable Pigs while staying Toyota with tasteful upgrades. I would like to see what you come up with and maybe we could meet sometime.

My sons and I took her down to Ensenada this week. 6.5 hours home, 3+ hours stop and go at the border. She did great.

Here's that pic you wanted. Somewhere north of Ensenada. MX.
D1A5F778-B5E2-43DF-B769-486B736219E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Drew over at MJM engines meticulously rebuilt the engine, replaced hoses, welded a leak in the oil pan, replaced my clutch, and much more.

The cost of parts is up a bit right now. Cost me just shy of $7,000 (gulp) but I couldn't be happier with how she runs. Planning on this rebuild lasting us the next 20 years.

Got her back eight days ago and already squeezed in a Baja trip. Such a joy to drive!

Will be doing one of the "break-in" oil changes this week.

Up next: suspension and tires!

Last edited:
@Megadoomer I am in PQ, just up the road. You should come to our Beach n Toys TLCA meeting at 6pm, Tuesday 12/7 at Mikes BBQ in Escondido.
I normally do but missed the last few. Is it on Mondays now? I thought Mikes was closed on Tuesdays.

Hey all, I've posted previously as I've been working on this ol' rig for a year now. She's coming along great! I wanted to start a formal build thread to document Boarchata's progress. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback along the way.

VISION
A head-turning FJ55 that’s tough enough for 1000 mile off-road adventures, has enough creature comforts to use as my daily driver, all while staying true to her original soul.

PRINCIPLES
  • Made to be used (not just a showcar)
  • Built for trails first, daily driver second
  • Keep it original where feasible
  • Function first, then form

THE NAME, "BOARCHATA"
"Boar" comes from the FJ55's Iron Pig nickname--in this case a big, aggressive, wild one. And Horchata is a wonderful Mexican drink made from rice, that happens to be the same color as the FJ55. And we live on the border in San Diego with lots of Baja trips planned. How could she have any other name?

Hey Jeff! Very cool Pig!

I would love to hear more about how you found the Pig, whatever her story is.

Speaking of stories - I checked out your site - Unfamed Adventure and saw you want to race Boarchata in the Vintage Class Baja 1000?!? Whoa!!! That will be an adventure.

Then I saw you want to race the Baja 1000 as part of a fund raiser for the community center in Punta Colonet - Buena Onda Project? I like it man...

Our open water swim used to benefit a high school for at risk youth. It had day care so single mommas could bring their babies in while they finished HS. Then the school folded. :confused:

Good luck on your plans to race the Baja 1000, and help with the community center: Race to the Finish - Unfamed - https://unfamedadventure.com/race/

Thanks so much, I probably should've mentioned racing the Baja 1000 in the intro lol.

I just didn't want to kick-off my build thread with the naysayers around whether an FJ55 should race the 1000 (vintage class).

To me it's a great adventure for a great cause, and a good motivator for me to keep investing in Boarchata to make her a capable, reliable rig.

Very cool to hear about your open swim and the at-risk high school stuff. The community center in Punta Colonet will really make a generational difference for some kids who currently have a rough future. Thanks for bringing it up.

If anyone wants to donate even $10 to the non-profit at the link above to keep it building momentum, that would be amazing. 🙏🏼

Thanks so much, I probably should've mentioned racing the Baja 1000 in the intro lol.

I just didn't want to kick-off my build thread with the naysayers around whether an FJ55 should race the 1000 (vintage class).

To me it's a great adventure for a great cause, and a good motivator for me to keep investing in Boarchata to make her a capable, reliable rig.

Very cool to hear about your open swim and the at-risk high school stuff. The community center in Punta Colonet will really make a generational difference for some kids who currently have a rough future. Thanks for bringing it up.

If anyone wants to donate even $10 to the non-profit at the link above to keep it building momentum, that would be amazing. 🙏🏼
I will be curious what suspension mods you are contemplating to take on the Baja 1000!

The community center in Punta Colonet will really make a generational difference for some kids who currently have a rough future. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sending a PM next...

As far as suspension, the Baja 1000 spec requires it to be something comparable to what could've come from the factory (and max 35 inch tires). We've interpreted that as leafs and shocks, but no coil overs.

I have a brand new OME setup that adds 2.5 inches and is slightly modified for the FJ55 from Cruiser Outfitters. It's sitting on a pallet and I'm trying to decide if I want to install it or go a little more intense for the race.

As far as suspension, the Baja 1000 spec requires it to be something comparable to what could've come from the factory (and max 35 inch tires). We've interpreted that as leafs and shocks, but no coil overs.

I have a brand new OME setup that adds 2.5 inches and is slightly modified for the FJ55 from Cruiser Outfitters. It's sitting on a pallet and I'm trying to decide if I want to install it or go a little more intense for the race
Shocks - and good bump stops. Fast is relative to whatever your racing, finishing is key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom