BJ73 1987 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased my first Landcruiser after getting hooked by my friends FZJ80. After looking around I came across a BJ73 for sale and feel in-love with the mid-sized wheel base and 'boxy' look of the 70 series.

1987 BJ73
Model: S-BJ73V-MN
Engine: 3B 3.4L diesel
Axel: KO82
Trim: FO11
Colour: 155
Factory PTO winch with front porch bumper

I thought I would make a thread on my build progress to help keep track as well as get suggestions on certain mods and fixes. Here are the original pictures that were taken from the ad to show the progression.

IMG_4927.png
IMG_4928.png

IMG_4929 (1).png

First project once I drove it 9 hours home was to redo the brakes and front bearings. I ended up rebuilding the whole braking system including the brake master cylinder.

Decided that while I had everything apart I would refinish the hubs and locking hub.

Below are the before and after pictures.

IMG_1332.jpg
<- Before After->
IMG_1556.jpg

Where you located in Alberta? I am near Chestermere.
Lemme know if you need anything. I got 6ish 70's in varying states of decay, and a shipping container full of parts that I hope will make me rich one day.

Lemme know if you need anything. I got 6ish 70's in varying states of decay, and a shipping container full of parts that I hope will make me rich one day.
Go on... Alberta isnt a horrible drive from Seattle, haha. Finding 70 parts down here is interesting at best, haha

Nice looking 74! Is this the one that was on Kijiji a while back?

I am located in Calgary! and that is actually very helpful as some of the parts are impossible to find.

Current plans is to fix the body up and de-rust (only a little surface rust) and the move onto some engine upgrades like a turbo. May need a 13bt turbo manifold if you got one of those sitting around. Goal is one day do a coil conversion and maybe slightly wider axels so avoid being so tippy.

Ended up putting some 33x12.5 duratracs on to give it a wider stance but may be looking for fender flares to go with it.

IMG_2320.png

Had to do some interior work as I took her for a swim on her first trail which showed me I have some waterproofing to do.

IMG_2422.png

Go on... Alberta isnt a horrible drive from Seattle, haha. Finding 70 parts down here is interesting at best, haha

Nice looking 74! Is this the one that was on Kijiji a while back?
Thank you! I believe so, was from Fort McMurray and I got it around August and have been upgrades and fixes since. Starting to love the never ending projects.

Welcome to the therapy group. Cool rig. I like the decal and the contrast FRP top color.

Thank you! I just received my OEM snorkel and am going to look to install soon. I may message you for your placement of the hole in the side fender as not confident on exact location as of now.

Welcome!
Always nice to see more 70's poppin up in AB.
Your plans for it sound awesome!

Cheers

Quick update to share my DIY front winch bumper for the 73. Much appreciation to @Behemoth60 for all the help with the welding and design. Made out of Aluminum to save weight as the 3b is a tractor. I will be sandblasting and doing a clear powdercoat to keep the natural metal look.

bj73 new bumper.jpeg

I’m starting to refresh my HZJ73 that I picked up in October. I might have to reach out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom