biggest tires that fit stock 40 on stock 5.5x15's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. New 'MUDder here. I recently took possession of my dad's 69 fj40. He died in 8/03 and my sister had the 40 since then. "ast road worthy in summer '05, so I have a lot to do. It is sitting on dry rotted 7.50x16 on 16x6" winnebago rims. I have a set of white stock steelies and new hub caps. Trying to find the biggest rubber I can run on what I have. I have seen the threads about 31x9.5 fitting stock suspension, but I am not sure what is the biggest practical for the small rim width. Any tips? Thanks and glad to be here. Will add a pic whn I get back to the computer.

Hello all. New 'MUDder here. I recently took possession of my dad's 69 fj40. He died in 8/03 and my sister had the 40 since then. "ast road worthy in summer '05, so I have a lot to do. It is sitting on dry rotted 7.50x16 on 16x6" winnebago rims. I have a set of white stock steelies and new hub caps. Trying to find the biggest rubber I can run on what I have. I have seen the threads about 31x9.5 fitting stock suspension, but I am not sure what is the biggest practical for the small rim width. Any tips? Thanks and glad to be here. Will add a pic whn I get back to the computer.
I run 33x10.50 on OEM steelies but I have about 1 1/2" longer shackles. I rub the steering linkage on full left lock but that's it. I haven't flexed it a ton.

SouthBostonFJ, guess I should have been more specific. I have a set of stock steelies that have been painted white. With this group I thought that would have been understood. I want to run about a 31 inch wheel height, but not sure what width the 5.5 rims would support.

super swamper used to make a 34x9.50x15 special service tire.

They still do, that's what I run and love 'em! But they are on 7" rims...I, too, would like to put these on some stock rims.
180923_10150110067053340_792693339_6314056_1696328_n.jpg

Hey fj401978,
What kind of road noise do those generate? Have you had any rubbing from them?

Hey fj401978,
What kind of road noise do those generate? Have you had any rubbing from them?

They do sing some on road, but not as much as one might think. I hear p/u's going by in front of my house that whine far louder than these do (don't know what tires they have, though). I have no rubbing issues, though the rear tires are pretty close when they are stuffed up into the wheel wells from flexing. I have a 4" lift w/2.5" longer shackles in rear and 1.5" longer in front.

Skip

I know I’m gonna sound like a dummy,
but I just bought a set of 30x9.5 15 tires and now want to switch to stock wheels 5.5X15.
it will fit fine?
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom