How Wide of Tire on stock FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the widest tire you can run on a stock (unmodified) FJ40 with a 15x8.5” Wheel? I should note my rear fenders are cut and I have plastic fender wells installed, so it is modified to that extent but not otherwise.

I’m looking to run 33” tire which I have run in the past, but I thought I was running 33X11.5. The tire I was looking at, MAXXIS TREPADOR M8060, only comes in a 12.5 width.

I could consider the MAXXIS RAZR MT which comes in a 10.5 width. Skinny and tall? Any thoughts on going with a taller, narrow tire?

33x10.5 is a great size tire to run. Very common on a 40. Not that skinny honestly. I used to run 33x9.5 , which is the real “tall skinny” size. Those look good too IMO.

I could consider the MAXXIS RAZR MT which comes in a 10.5 width. Skinny and tall? Any thoughts on going with a taller, narrow tire?
I ran these tires for a few years, 33x10.5. They completely sucked all winter long I couldn't wait to wear them out and replace them. They weren't bad off road.

I ran these tires for a few years, 33x10.5. They completely sucked all winter long I couldn't wait to wear them out and replace them. They weren't bad off road.

I heard they weren’t good winter tires. I seldom drive on snow, and if I do it’s generally off-road unpacked.

I’m in AZ so they would primarily be used in desert rock crawling.

Does the Forum have recommendations for a good off-road MT rock-crawling tire for a rig that is mostly trailered; not a daily driver and not driven extensively on the highway?

Does the Forum have recommendations for a good off-road MT rock-crawling tire for a rig that is mostly trailered; not a daily driver and not driven extensively on the highway?

I ran a set of Toyo Open Country MT tires that were good on the rocks; very tough sidewall, never had a puncture in all the time I ran them - in places where BFG KM MT's were cut to pieces. They were E-rated (load) tires; one reason why the sidewalls were so tough. The only downside was, the sidewalls were stiff enough that I had to air way down, like less than 10 psi to get them to flex much. Never ran one off the bead going that low though. They lasted a long time too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom