Battery thread - again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death - maybe that's the problem - I've read so many threads on this topic that I'm thoroughly confused. I just put on a 12,500 winch behind the factory bumper and I'm looking to replace the tired old batter with a new one.

I've read many, many threads on the topic but the barrage of choices is overwhelming. I've narrowed it down to Sears Platinum battery - in stock, available from local store, great technology and good reputation.

I need help narrowing down the final choices on type and size.

Should I get an Automotive type battery - like this Group Size 34/78DT here ($229):
850CCA, RC=135
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?clicked=true

Or, will this suffice, Group 35 - with the Winch I got (periodic use):
740CCA, RC=100
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850035000P?sid=IMx20120601x002000-Automotive-abcart

OR, should I spring for a Marine Group 34M battery (like many have used) - since I need to drive the winch too:
880CCA; RC=135
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02850134000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Yes, Optima moved production to Mexico and supposedly quality suffered, but there seems to be a lot more threads on how often the Sears fail. I'm not keeping a tally though.

That said, I like my AutoCraft Golds from Advance.

Since you are going with a single battery setup, a good option would be the hybrid type like the Optima Yellow top or equal. This gives you decent CCA but allows it to be use it like deep cycle. It is a compromise between a true deep cycle and starting battery. However, winching is generally just short pulls to get past an obstacle and a starting battery would likely be fine unless you plan on long duration winch pulls.

The old fashioned starter type battery works fine for a single battery install with a winch. I can tell you that you'll be waiting for the winch to cool longer than it'll take to top the battery back up in most cases. The typical planetary drive winch needs lots of cooling time or it will self-destruct, assuming that's what you have.

That said, I've had excellent luck with Interstate Battery. Their dealers are everywhere, probably more so than Sears the way they're closing stores around here. I've relied on Interstate in my personal vehicles for years and also worked with them in heavy duty truck fleets. They get the job done and stand behind their product in my experience.

I just got a group 27F yellow top Optima for the LX - it has the posts in the correct orientation for the OEM wiring set-up

Interstate is marketing their own AGM battery now, but they don't have it in 27F yet - they gave me a substantial discount on the Optima :D

I have dual platinum 31m's and have replaced 3 in two years, many have had similar results. I don't recommend them.

Put optima yellows (x2) in my hdj81 probably 5 years ago now , has factory winch and other cool do dads .... Even after multiple accidental complete discharges they are going as new still.
Only experience I have ever had with Optimas , and as far as that goes I love em.

I have dual platinum 31m's and have replaced 3 in two years, many have had similar results. I don't recommend them.

I had one of the two go bad after 5 years. I'm not complaining because its been abused and its never left me stranded. :meh:

The diehard marine batteries dont like to be charged fast, like a car alternator does. That is why there are so many marine failures.

Get the regular version and you will be fine...

The DHP 34 and 34M (marine) are identical inside.

The above 2 comments seem to contradict one another!

I'm as confused as the OP! Help!

That article linked is a blanket statement for Auto and Marine batteries. I am only talking about Odyssey and DHP batteries. Odyssey manufactures the DHP and they only make one type of battery, just in different sizes. They are multi-use and can be perform well in both starting and deep cycle use.

Why do they have a marine version and an auto version? 1) The 2nd set of terminals are different and 2) the warranty is different because the usage is different. Odyssey has a similar warranty but worded differently... but basically their 4 year warranty only applies to batteries when used in "starting" applications.

For more info.

The DHP 34 and 34M (marine) are identical inside.
And the specs are basically identical too. The marine version just has 30 more CCAs which means squat. The regular 34 is the same price as the marine but with 1yr longer warranty.

I think that one spec for the DHP 34M is in error. Maybe an oddball sample, tested with different equipment under different conditions or something like that.

The Odyssey Group 34 and 34M (marine) both show the same specs as the DHP Group 34 (automobile) which is 850 CCA and 135 reserve capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom