Builds Back in a 60 series - 1HZ Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I reassembled the turbo and mounted it back onto the engine.

20180612_214818.jpg

When he balanced the turbine and compressor, did he do it assembled? If so, did you make sure to assemble the compressor back onto the turbine shaft in the exact same orientation?

With Holset and larger Garret turbos, the turbine and its shaft are balanced, then the compressor is balanced separately. Curious how your guy did it.

It was all balanced together and marked. I carefully put everything back the way it was balanced. He might have balanced the turbine first, but I'm not 100% sure .

When I rebuilt my turbo I didn't balance anything. I thought about bringing it in to be balanced but for some reason I didn't.

You shouldn't need to. They're balanced from the factory to 150,000rpm or so.

EDIT: The bit about balancing the turbine and shaft separate from the compressor is important, because that's the reason you can drop in compressor wheels, like the "wicked wheel" for powerstrokes, as a bolt-on mod. Not so relevant with CT26s though :p

Yeah, what Johnny said. I upgraded a wheel on my old HX30 and didn't balance it. Worked fine.

I keep forgetting to mention this. I ordered a shifter tower rivet fix kit from Specter. Looks like a nice little repair kit. One of the rivets on the H55 is loose as heck. Don't know if I'm going to only fix the loose one or both.

20180612_082826.jpg

Are these the two A/C lines you need? Will they work on a 60?
2BAB2851-B1FC-4FDC-9468-52A29AFDB897.jpeg

Yes! The 80 has the same fittings that are used on a 1HZ a/c compressor. I might have to do some cutting and crimping .

I keep forgetting to mention this. I ordered a shifter tower rivet fix kit from Specter. Looks like a nice little repair kit. One of the rivets on the H55 is loose as heck. Don't know if I'm going to only fix the loose one or both.

View attachment 1722724

I didn't know that existed! Will have to keep that in mind. I usually just try to peen over the rivets a little bit more :lol:

Johnny, the description on SOR says that it's for a 4 speed. I think this will also work on the H55 though. I just need to check the diameter of the stock rivets and compare them to the ones in the SOR kit.

Got some Father's Day shop time in today. I was able to remove the fenders. Getting ready to stab the engine in.

20180617_155113.jpg

Cleaned up two starters that Mauricio @Spallet gave me. Don't know which one goes with the 1HZ. Anyone know?

20180617_155121.jpg

I was finally able to join the tranny/engine together. Man, I'm moving slow! I really need to clean up the shop so I can get the 60 in one of the bays.

20180623_195824.jpg

YESSS!

That's good to hear!

The plan this morning was to organize and clean up the shop before it got hot ( highs over 100F today). Well, Galen @bottombracket came over and we got close to being able to weld in the engine mounts! Progress! Anyway, it's now 100F out there and I'm getting dehydrated.

Attach20867_20180722_124407.jpg
20180721_131518.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom