Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
Most info I have come across searching for rear axle upgrades, re-gearing, & lockers is located in build threads and it's difficult to piece it all together.

So I would like to make this a comprehensive thread with all the info you could need in one location. In this thread I would like to discuss rear axle upgrades and why it is necessary on the GX470. Re-gearing for a stock axle, FJ axle, or an aftermarket axle. Re-gearing numbers based on tires or use. And lastly adding an OEM e-locker, aftermarket e-locker, or an ARB locker.

Would love for those that have done these upgrades to show off their specs, let us know why they went the route they did and how much does it kick A$$ off-road now?

So, I am leaning towards the route of upgrading the rear axle on my GX mostly to add a rear locker but also for the piece of mind of a stronger rear axle that doesn't flex.

I have never wheeled with a locker and have only needed one on a hand full of times in my 11-12 years of wheeling. But it would be nice to take the little more challenging route sometimes, and not have to get strapped and pulled out those hand full of times.

I don't plan on going to 35" tires in the future with the GX because I want to tow a trailer soon so not sure if I need to necessarily re-gear to 4.88's or something.

There is a lot of talk about the rear axles but I never hear anything about the front diff and with this being my first IFS truck I am not even sure what the process is if you re-gear both front & back. Common sense tells me of course you have to re-gear the front but just haven't seen any info on it in my limited searches on this topic.

Last edited:
Great thread! Looking at these options for the GX as well. I didn’t have lockers on my 1st gen 4Runner and it was only mildly modded. The FJC had the factory E-Locker which I used a lot on the more difficult stuff. IMO, rear locked and A-TRAC can almost get you through anything. I had the 8” rear and was fortunate enough not to grenade like what happened to a number of the early models. If I were to swap the rear axle at this point, I’d look for the 8.2” rear as they had very few failures but are difficult to find. Some go bigger with the diamond rear but I don’t plan on wheeling this rig that hard.
So my current train of thought is that I’ll leave my axles alone, go with ARB lockers and regear to 4.56.
The folks at ECGS have a great reputation and have taken care of a lot of rigs.

Yeah, I had talked to Yota Masters a while back and they suggested keeping the stock housing and just re-gear to 4.56 and add either an ARB locker or an aftermarket e-locker. They mentioned that the stock 8.2 housing is much bigger than the mini-truck rear axles that are rock crawling. But there is a difference in weight that takes an effect in my opinion.

I was just leaning towards keeping an eye out for the FJ axle since it comes with an e-locker already and I wouldn't have any down time with my daily driver.

But going the route Yota Masters mentioned it would be $950 for ARB locker plus I would need a compressor. Nitro gears are $1,150 for 4.56 gear ratio.

If you decide to go with a FJC axle. Stay away from the early ‘07 production run. They had the batch that were most prone to fail. 2010 or newer FJC all have the 8.2”

Your route seems affordable for a sizable upgrade.

Interesting,
Found an axle,2010 w/ 46,000mi on eBay but it says w/o locker. Are they selling it without the locker or was the e-locker an option?

And I assume the 4Runner axles are the same as ours? Because those are cheap and easy to find on eBay at least.

I just picked up an e-locker 3rd member with 4.10's.

I'd love to find an 8" 4.10 clamshell for the front so i don't have replace the RP...

I installed 4.56's in my jeep which had 33's. The ratio was nice but it was my first hear install and it was a pain in the ass!

I would sacrifice 4.10's over 4.56's to avoid setting gears up again.

I do a lot of freeway driving too so with 285's I think 4.10 will be perfect.

Interesting,
Found an axle,2010 w/ 46,000mi on eBay but it says w/o locker. Are they selling it without the locker or was the e-locker an option?

And I assume the 4Runner axles are the same as ours? Because those are cheap and easy to find on eBay at least.

That is interesting. If the rear matches the rig pictured, it’s definitely a 8.2” with locker. That is a 2013 Trail Teams. Cement color wasn’t released until 13 and the TT was solid cement. There is, without a doubt, an E-Locker unless they deliberately removed it. 13 was also the first year to have crawl control which all the trail teams had.

Some of the “base” models didn’t have the locker but there weren’t that many.

Mine:

Front: Lotus CVs with CVJ high angle inner boots, Nitro gear 4.56 with ARB in stock clamshell (8")
Rear: Diamond 9.5" housing with 9.5" land cruiser diff with Nitro 4.56 and ARB with Nitro chrome axle shafts.

Stock Gear Ratio 2010 FJC Auto 8.2" Rear Axle. No need to regear that way unlike the Manual version which is the wrong ratio. I run 32" on the street and 34" on the trail. Toyota Elocker works fine. Must engage it before obstacle while the ARB can be engaged on demand and have it actually engage right away. I would like to go with some 4.56 gears but it's low on the list. Truck climbed in Moab on the steep stuff just fine.

But going the route Yota Masters mentioned it would be $950 for ARB locker plus I would need a compressor. Nitro gears are $1,150 for 4.56 gear ratio.

Good to know on gear price. I thought is was more around $2k for both F/R. I have been casually reading about the Eaton e-locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom