Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a line on an axle and front diff from a 07 FJ trd manual.

I'm going to toss the 3.91 gears and elocker in until I can find a 4.10 front.

My stock 8" lost pretty much all its bearing preload at 160k when I remove it. No wonder so many people broke theirs with light off roading.
I highly recommend doing CBPL refresh to anybody that plan to wheel their 120 with more than 100k miles.
CBPL refresh

I highly recommend doing CBPL refresh to anybody that plan to wheel their 120 with more than 100k miles.
CBPL refresh

So ahhhh, anybody else seeing this as a "to do"???? First I've seen it, glad it was posted, no idea if it's an item to throw on the maintenance list or not....thx!!!

Just noticed that link is from ZUK - that guy is THE gear guy. Met him at his place probably three years ago, super nice guy and knows just about everything there is to know about gears/diffs.

So ahhhh, anybody else seeing this as a "to do"???? First I've seen it, glad it was posted, no idea if it's an item to throw on the maintenance list or not....thx!!!

Never done it and never heard of anyone thats done it, but if its written by ZUK, then it's basically scripture. That dude is THE Toyota diff guru.

I finally found my 4.10 front so I'll be tearing into this job this weekend. I got the factory wiring in from the diff to the car body (2 plugs and about 2ft of wire).

I also got the dash switch.

I know I need the longer studs and the elocker gasket.

Anything else?

Sounds pretty good. But kinda depends how youre going to control it. Original factory setup requires the locker ECU and the switch and locker would wire/plug into the ECU. But it does not *have* to run like that, there are other ways. I'll try to find a couple links if you need. My diff retrofit link below in my sig is old, but might have a couple good links still.

Last edited:
That would be great.

I'd like to replicate the factory setup as much as possible. I'm pretty sure I can source an elocker ECU on ebay or at a parts lot.

If I got the ECU, would I need to run a wiring harness, or is there any part of the wiring present in the factory GX harness?

Edit: Also, where is the ECU located so I know where to look on a donor?

Since the GX never got the rear elocker from factory, I'm willing to bet there is no existing wiring for a locker at all. I'd think you're best bet is to keep looking at the FJ Cruiser for that stuff. I'd bet theres some write-ups out there somewhere for a retrofit into an FJ Cruiser. 2nd Gen Tacomas should be similar as well. Prob a write-up out there on one of those somewhere. Thats where I'll be starting to look for them. (Though I'm sure they're going to be real similar to the 1st Gen Tacoma and minitruck wtite-ups that are out there.)

Last edited:
It is. Lol

I did not so common modification with mine. Definetly not as strong as 8.2 swap but this is good enough for my current use.

I put 2016+ Tacoma 4 cylinder or TRD Off Road with Manual front diff that came with 4.30 ratio. Swap the ADD out and just put the axle tube that came from the GX.

2nd gen 05-15 Tacoma 4 cylinder front came with 4.10

For the rear I use 3rd gen 4runner elocker that have 4.30 gear. This is not a straight forward swap since the drive flange too small. 3rd gen 4runner and older have 60x60mm drive shaft flange. 120 series and later use 66x66mm drive shaft flange.

Third gen 96-02 4runner elocker are available with 4:10, 4.30 or 4.56.

Affordable regear to 4.30?

Last edited:
Been looking for an FJC rear based on this thread but on eBay they've all been priced higher than a new Harrop. Are folks finding theirs in junkyards?

Since the GX never got the rear elocker from factory, I'm willing to bet there is no existing wiring for a locker at all. I'd think you're best bet is to keep looking at the FJ Cruiser for that stuff. I'd bet theres some write-ups out there somewhere for a retrofit into an FJ Cruiser. 2nd Gen Tacomas should be similar as well. Prob a write-up out there on one of those somewhere. Thats where I'll be starting to look for them. (Though I'm sure they're going to be real similar to the 1st Gen Tacoma and minitruck wtite-ups that are out there.)

Ultimate Toyota Electric Locker ELocker Wiring Harness Kit by Low Range Off Road (TDI-ELWH)

Also has anyone tried or heard anything about this e-locker in the front?
A11110 Harrop ELocker

Last question Dan Kunz with you running 35's and 4.88's?? Is your speedometer off any???

Zuk install a couple harrop in the front 8" clamshell
Gear Install Toyota

The speedometer need an electronic signal converter. The signal came from wheel speed sensor. When you change tire size it would still be off since it does not have same signal as original size tire.

That's an acceptable way to go for some. I'm more of a clean, OEM-style-install kinda guy and would like to use the factory locker switch from the Prado/LC100 (or 80 series if going front and rear lockers). Not sure if anybody's done it yet... the GX has the same spot already carved out in the lower dash next to the steering column, but there is a metal brace behind that is in the way of the bulky switch...I'm hoping there will be a way to slightly "adjust" things back there in order to accommodate the switch.

20181112_154953.jpg
20181112_155111.jpg
20181112_155143.jpg

Zuk install a couple harrop in the front 8" clamshell
Gear Install Toyota

The speedometer need an electronic signal converter. The signal came from wheel speed sensor. When you change tire size it would still be off since it does not have same signal as original size tire.

Well crap. I did not know that. so what do you recommend is best to fix that?

I haven't done anything to mine and probably won't. It's 5% too fast.with my 255/80R17 so it's easy enough to remember.

I would have to fix it when I decide to move to 35" tire. There are a few electronic converter that you have to install behind the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom