Anyone try WoolWax yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much drips as you spray? Trying to figure out a location to apply?
Nothing drips. It's the overspray that gets everywhere. I lay out plastic sheets in my driveway and put on a Tyvek suit. Roll it all up and toss in the trash. Done.

Do you mask off your shocks, brakes and drive shafts?
Why? I spray EVERYTHING. My paint gun sprays either a vertical or horizontal fan pattern, depending on my position under the truck and what I want to hit. I start up into the inside of the ARB front bar and end inside the rear bumper. Nothing goes uncoated, including the brake backing plates. The brakes are a bit slippery for the first 1 or 2 pumps.

Last edited:
Why? I spray EVERYTHING. My paint gun sprays either a vertical or horizontal fan pattern, depending on my position under the truck and what I want to hit. I start up into the inside of the ARB front bar and end inside the rear bumper. Nothing goes uncoated, including the brake backing plates. The brakes are a bit slippery for the first 1 or 2 pumps.
Started typing out a similar response to the same post you quoted until I saw your reply. I don't drive my cruisers in the salt so this is not a concern for me, but I don't understand why you would tape ANYTHING off when coating should you plan to drive it in the brine.

I went to a local under coater and they said they mask off the shocks, and basically anything that moves. But that was a tar looking product so maybe a different requirement for that.

Any plans to ship to Australia or even have an Australian distributor?

Well nuts, I just picked up another gallon of Fluid Film for this winter. I wish I would have seen this sooner. Good to hear it will work with the Pro gun and wands, which is what I have.

edit: I ordered a gallon, it sounds exactly like what I wish Fluid Film was.

Can I put it on over my old Fluid Film coating without issues? I wonder if it will adhere as well as claimed.

Last edited:
@bob1008 Thank you for the discount code. I made the switch from Fluid Film to Woolwax this year and went with the big 5 gallon bucket for both Cruisers. Very excited to see how WW performs as I have always been impressed with FF.

@bob1008 Thanks for the discount code. I also made the switch from Fluid Film to Woolwax this year and went with the big 5 gallon bucket for the 80, Tundra and my tow trailer. I liked the application way better than FF, a month has gone by with few rain storms and everything is still coated.

Ordered as well. Thank you!!

I used both. I thought 1 gallon would be enough for 2 cars (2004 Tundra and my 1997 80) but it was just barely enough for the Tundra. I ordered the Woolwax and had the 80 on the lift so I didn't want to wait for another gallon. I went with Fluid Film, 3 cans and it was just barely enough for the 80. Did the rest with bar and chain oil. The Woolwax didn't spray as good as I thought it would with the professional gun but really both work great and so does using bar and chain oil. All of it is WAY better than just leaving an exposed underside to that shi*ty salt.

IMG_20191007_124840.jpg

IMG_20191007_144001_241.jpg

The Woolwax came in and I attempted to apply it today, my overall impression is underwhelming. Outside temp was 50ish today and I used a 2qt Crock Pot to heat it up so it would at least flow. The Kellsport Pro gun with wands didn't work out for me with this product. It would barely spray at any air pressure, I ended up mixing Fluid Film and Woolwax together to get it to spray properly. Kind of a bummer, but maybe this mixture will hold up a little better than regular Fluid Film. I will be sticking with Fluid Film for the future though. Also, the Crock Pot was a great addition at a whopping $8.99 at Target and a soup ladle helped transfer product easily.

E897CF65-0F71-47C6-934C-A3D97524FCF7.jpeg
A7FE389B-CFEF-4466-B5A3-F0DD1FF1C3A1.jpeg

Last edited:
If you've never lived in a snowy climate where the roads are salted, it will probably freak you out a little when you get to Utah and experience your first winter. But it's not nearly as bad as you may think. Definitely not as gnarly as what the guys in the Northeast deal with in terms of rust. My Cruiser has spent it's entire life in Utah and Colorado (mostly Utah) and for the most part the undercarriage is pretty clean. I have a rusty spot in my driverside rocker panel but that developed before I got the truck because of water not draining properly from the sunroof area which drains into the rockers.

FF or this Woolwax is probably still a good idea and would help, but don't go into panic mode when you move to Utah. Just keep the truck clean when you can and you'll be alright.
The other positive vs the NE in Winter is that it’s typically low humidity in Utah with the exception of several weeks in mid December to mid to late Jan and even then it’s sporadic and snow will evaporate / melt much more quickly.

I finally got around to trying the WoolWax. At first I tried using my TP Tools undercoating gun without the wand. It came out way too thick so I switched back to my cheap Harbor Freight air spray gun and that worked really well. I went through about half a gallon and got everything good and coated. Probably have enough left to do my little truck. I did find that heating it up on the stove was key. It is way too thick to even pour out of the can at around 55 degrees outside.

It looks great though and I am happy with the black color.

So, how does one get rid of Wool Wax in the spring?

I have some rusty bits on my frame andddd with the snow in the forecast next week that came out of nowhere, I’m gonna have to hold off on addressing that with POR15 until the spring.

My understanding is that the rust won’t spread underneath...

I used both. I thought 1 gallon would be enough for 2 cars (2004 Tundra and my 1997 80) but it was just barely enough for the Tundra. I ordered the Woolwax and had the 80 on the lift so I didn't want to wait for another gallon. I went with Fluid Film, 3 cans and it was just barely enough for the 80. Did the rest with bar and chain oil. The Woolwax didn't spray as good as I thought it would with the professional gun but really both work great and so does using bar and chain oil. All of it is WAY better than just leaving an exposed underside to that shi*ty salt.

View attachment 2113728

View attachment 2113729
i used fluid film on my truck just before colorado hunting trip i hit some snow on the way when i come back i looked under the truck and there is almost no fluid film left underneath all that stuff is washed off

i used fluid film on my truck just before colorado hunting trip i hit some snow on the way when i come back i looked under the truck and there is almost no fluid film left underneath all that stuff is washed off
That's not good. I'll look underneath mine and see how it's (Fluid Film) holding up....and I'll look underneath my brother's Tundra to see how the WoolWax is holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom