Help removing diesel injector pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm in the process of identifying a fuel leak in the side of the diesel injector pump. I have removed a few components but am struggling to understand how to remove the nut in the photo. I have watched a few videos and consulted the repair manual but I feel like I need it explained to me in a different way. I've attached a photo of the location of the nut. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Every time I try to turn the nut I can hear wither the pump trying to pull air(fuel) through, or it will not move at all. I'm on the verge of going and getting an impact drill to force it off. One video I saw had a guy attach a 19mm spanner and try to crank over the engine. This seems like a cowboy way and I dont want to try it.

Tim

20240215_182232.jpg

20240215_182236.jpg

I use the Toyota special service tool, SST.

Just make a long flat bar with holes in it to bolt to the hub. Use grade8 or better hardware when bolting it up. You are going to need it more for torquing upon installation.

Cheers

I noticed in my HDJ100 FSM yesterday they show a different method.

That is to hold the crank bolt to removed and retorque. Odd as all my earlier FSMs show using the SST which is how I always do it since I have the SST.

Let me know if you need pics from the HDJ100 FSM.

Cheers

That is to hold the crank bolt to removed and retorque. Odd as all my earlier FSMs show using the SST which is how I always do it since I have the SST.

Cheers
Hey thanks for the help. I managed to get it off but not without some dramas. I used my puller that i bolted on to the injection gear drive bearing, but when i tried to force the pump out the bolt snapped. Now i've gotten up to taking everything apart but cant understand how to undo this large pulley down the bottom. I've attached some photos so hopefully you can assist me again. Thanks

20240220_161319.jpg

20240220_161332.jpg

Should always use two bolts when doing that and keep an eye on the bolts to make sure you're not bending them.

For that bottom pulley you'll need to take out the crank bolt, then the pulleys should come off easily with a 2 or 3 jaw bearing/gear puller. You'll need a big and a small gear puller to pull the timing gears if your going to go further into it. A large socket will be useful for reinstalling the gears as well - the 52mm axle nut socket and a rubber hammer will work well.

Always mark your gears before pulling to ensure they go in the same way they came out, and it is good practice to check backlash after re-installation. Consult the 1HDT Factory Service Manual for more info.

Keep in mind you'll need a heavy duty torque wrench for the crank bolt as the torque spec for it is 304ft/lb - and can be tricky to torque without two people.

Cheers
This is exactly how I did it per the FSM I have.
1708691611980.png

Looks like you have removed the bolts that hold the #2 pulley to the #1 pulley -> It should be free to remove. Below is a photo of my 1HDT with the #2 pulley removed. You can see that the bolts hold it together. There is a centering shoulder on the #1 pulley (still attached to the motor in photo) that will cause difficulties in removal. I used a brass hammer to help with removal.
If you need to remove the #1 pulley (harmonic balancer) you will need to rig up some sort of tool to hold it. A photo of the tool I use that I purchased here in the states. Can easily be fabricated at home using flat stock. Note: if the harmonic balancer is original, consider replacing it.

1708692235866.png

1708691671964.png

1708691745552.png

Same topic, different question:

Once you have the belt pulley and large nut off the end of the injection pump, What magic tricks do you guys have if the injection pump shaft is still stuck into the injection pump timing gear taper?

Some I've removed very easily using a harmonic balancer puller or similar with a few light taps of a hammer etc to break it free.

One was so stuck I had to take the timing gear cover off and heat the gear which got replaced upon reassembly.

Currently have a 1hz pump I'm trying to remove in the vehicle and the balancer puller isn't getting it out.

Yes I have removed the two mounting nuts and the locking bolt in the bracket slot.

Where can one buy that blue plate?

Can anyone help me identify what these are and what they're designed to do? they came in the timing belt and water pump kit but i just cant figure out what the hell i'm ment to do with them. The only place they look like they can go is ment for metal parts and these are plastic.

Thanks

20240302_162900.jpg

20240302_162855.jpg

I can't tell how big they are as there's nothing there for scale, but off the top of my head they could be
- IP seal in the timing case cover (behind IP belt pulley)
- harmonic balancer seal (behind the balancer into the timing case)
- camshaft seal (behind upper timing belt pulley)
- rear main seal, but that one is about 3.5 inches ID iirc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom