Alternator altering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am guessing the 3FE FJ62 alternator is 75 amps? The internal fan 80 series alternator is 90amps and you can trim the 3FE engine/alt bracket to fit the internal fan model. Not sure what the 60 people would do with that bracket setup.

Contct info for vendor below found in this thread. Posting for x-reference purpose.

Just called C.P. generator in Fontana CA about having my 2f alt rewired and found out the following for future searches. The external regulator model for 1984 is rated at 45 amps and they don't rebuild it to higher amperage. As of April 2019 a rebuild of that alternator is $96.00 and takes 3 to 4 hours. The internally regulated model is the 55amp version. Having had to replace my voltage regulator once in the past, didn't feel it terribly necessary to price out repairs to a unit I don't actually own. Will be looking at my collection of bits to see if its simply easier for me to get the 3FE alternator and get up to 75amps which would be a significant upgrade to my setup. I'll reuse the pull and fan if necessary from my original alt.

$.02

Glenn in Marana

Last edited:
Not knowing offhand, whats the amp output on a 3FE FJ62 alt? The link page just shows it as a reman, no actual tech data. Makes a nice alternative for trying to source a replacement 55amp without mods, but just curious how much more oomph (technical term) it shoves into my electrical system.

Glenn in Marana

80 amps :)

Not sure if I recommended this on this thread yet.....but....if you have not already done so....consider replacing your battery pos and neg cables, starter main cable, and alternator output cable with either 2 or 4 gage welding cables. Upgrade your connectors and clean all of your grounds. This mod makes a huge difference to all electrical in the truck. It reduces electrical loss due to size and also just due to old wires. When ever I do the change I notice all my motors run faster, lights are brighter, engine cranks faster etc.

Yes, I just did the 80A 3FE upgrade a couple weeks ago, w/ a $40 used alt. Was a big improvemnt over the tired 60A alt.

But truck is currently snowed in, so no pics yet.

There is also an opt 90A alt for FJ62 that will fit in the same spot, but I've never seen one on a cruiser. It is in stock at the parts store, so I'm guessing it fits other Toys, like a cressida or 4runner.

90 amp alt is non US, requires different drivers side mount... oh wait, that’s for stock application.... I guess once the victor wrench comes out, anything will fit!!!

A few questions for Casey or other Mudders

Casey - did your new remain alt come with the capacitor - little silver cannister with black wire on picture below?

Everyone - wondering what to use since the docs with the alt do specify if your old alt had one, to salvage it and install it. Should the existing ND one be taken? Also which nut to attach to? Guessing "E" as its the only thing on the case that is actually marked.

Casey - what was the wiring color to color you used? New ebay plug has red/green/blue. Figure your setup is working great, want to replicate it. Looks like from the photo that red goes to a yellow/white single on the original harness, but its the blue/green that goes into shrink wrap and isn't visible for which one goes where, if indeed there is any difference.

General FYI - this one came with a extender connector already in place and its color scheme is red/white/black so it may be possible to simply snip that and use those wires, they would be about the same length as the ebay part - but can't guarantee that any random ordered part would have that, Casey didn't mention it, and his photos don't show it.

Also, while the price on this alt is killer (93.xx) don't be in a hurry. Took from mid april ordering till today to get it. Amazon shipping was usual 2 days.....once it actually shipped, and there was no way I could find since it was an amazon.com fufilled by to email and get any kind of shipping status update. YMMV but plan ahead if you want to do this mod.

View attachment 1953472
So here are my photos
existing attachment and ebay part (and part number from package)

Pics of new/reman alt and the capacitor notice

Glenn In Marana

Last edited:
So here are my photos
existing attachment and ebay part (and part number from package)
View attachment 1989550View attachment 1989551
Pics of new/reman alt and the capacitor notice
View attachment 1989552
View attachment 1989557View attachment 1989558

Glenn In Marana

Hi Glenn,

New set up has been functioning great. The alt I received did come with the capacitor. In terms of wiring I essentially just snipped the old connector off and the blue and green(from the new connector) are both connected to the black with yellow striped wire. Then connect the red(from new connector) to the solid yellow. Heat shrinked and called it a day. FYI that extender connector looks more like a fuse link. Shouldn't be needed you already have a fuse link protection near your battery. I guess save that if you ever blow your fuse link should could come in handy.

Last edited:
@tucson_sailors

Is the adapter with connectors on both ends from Coolerman, or... ?

@tucson_sailors

Is the adapter with connectors on both ends from Coolerman, or... ?
Spike - no, that came with the Alt. Just an extender - the black part that looks like a fusible is just some sort of wire management. Does have an o-ring so as to keep liquid out of the connector. Believe the coolerman wires only work for AC/Delco conversions, and this is supposed to be a reman ND.

Casey - when you get a chance, can you see if the cap is connected to anything on your case that has a marking to see if my guess of the "E" on the case having some significance.

Glenn in Marana

Oh, and did you get the 'Quality-Built' brand from Amazon, same as others ?

Oh, and did you get the 'Quality-Built' brand from Amazon, same as others ?
Yup. From the link Casey posted up. Once I swap out the pulley and fan from a spare, gonna take it to my local store to have them run the diags on it. Figured for a C note, was worth a shot, vs the price to buy one over the counter new.

Glenn in Marana

Last edited:
Oh, are you that guy with the gender-indeterminate forename ?

LOL ok troll.. bet you feel pretty good about yourself.. you come on here.. pepper your lame 'I know everything' comments across the forum even when It's not even asked for or appreciated then you go straight to insults?? so thats how you like to live your life.. thats how you spend your day? you're literally the worst. Cheers

I’m going to do the 3fe alternator this week.

The question I have is this: can I use my existing alternator output wiring? I’m trying to avoid making a bunch of changes at once and buying all the battery crimp tools to do
My second battery install now.

I’ve got a new fusible link wire direct to the battery. I forget the amperage but it’s all working well.

@Godwin @NookShneer

@NookShneer Did you ever change to a different length alt belt?

I've got a new OEM 80A for a spare, but if my current 120A goes out, I'll just spend the money for a Mean Green at that point and be happy. Though depending on how my current one might go out, I'm VERY tempted to rig up an external rectifier before it fails. I've been eyeballing the Quicktifier setup for years but never went for it. Seems like it would be a great way to extend the life of a high output alternator. Requires modification to install it though. External Bridge Rectifier for a Tougher Alternator

@NookShneer Did you ever change to a different length alt belt?

I don't think I ever did. I don't remember what belt i have on there. I have a welder now and will likely just modify the arm to accept a different length toyota belt.

I've got a new OEM 80A for a spare, but if my current 120A goes out, I'll just spend the money for a Mean Green at that point and be happy. Though depending on how my current one might go out, I'm VERY tempted to rig up an external rectifier before it fails. I've been eyeballing the Quicktifier setup for years but never went for it. Seems like it would be a great way to extend the life of a high output alternator. Requires modification to install it though. External Bridge Rectifier for a Tougher Alternator
IMHO, Mean Green alternators are more hype than output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom