8x Series V8 Swaps (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a running driving 2002 GMC 2500 for $1000. 335K miles. Just tore the engine down the bare block. Everything was in excellent shape. I could have just stuck a supercharger on it and ran it. But now it's going to get basically an LS3 build with the truck intake. Bore it .065" to make it a 6.2, flat tops and deck and head work to get to about 10.5:1 and a camshaft similar to the LS3 with maybe a little better low end torque. I'm gonna have 10-15 thousand dollars in it I'm sure. Definitely not the cheapest route to go but it'll be a hot one.
why wouldn't you just buy a used LS3 and a Magnuson/whipple?

In my opin

In my opinion if you have 10-15k you can get more bang for your buck by getting a dart LS block and boring and stroking it to a 7.4 liter. I considered boring my 6.0 to a 6.2. Of the dyno tests I looked up, the difference between a 6.0 and a 6.2 is about 20hp, so I decided against it. You can also bore the 6.0 block, bore it .030 and put a 4.0 stroker crank which makes it a 6.8liter. I saw pretty big power gains in the dyno videos I watched with a stroker crank. You can also just supercharge or turbo the 6.0 as is and get good power.
again, used LS3 and a blower and make more power for less money.

Quick question(s). Where is this transmission breather hose mounted to the transmission? Also, do I buy a reducer to connect the this breather hose to the transfer case breather hose?
20240201_161240.jpg

I changed my air filter from the stock to a full 4 inch all the way out. Now the engine has a extremely rough idle and is not driveable and shows no codes. The MAF is plugged up and installed the right direction. Has the increase in air flow really screwed it up that much?
IMG_8037.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

Quick question(s). Where is this transmission breather hose mounted to the transmission? Also, do I buy a reducer to connect the this breather hose to the transfer case breather hose?
View attachment 3547763
Isn't there a breather fitting on the top of the transmission?

I changed my air filter from the stock to a full 4 inch all the way out. Now the engine has a extremely rough idle and is not driveable and shows no codes. The MAF is plugged up and installed the right direction. Has the increase in air flow really screwed it up that much?
View attachment 3549298

View attachment 3549299
I can't tell what you did exactly. Need more pics of your old setup and how you did it vs your new setup.

Isn't there a breather fitting on the top of the transmission?
Yeah u figured it out. I'm using different bolts than the stock GM. Just had to make the hole on the bracket a pinch bigger.

I can't tell what you did exactly. Need more pics of your old setup and how you did it vs your new setup.
Pretty much what you see except I added a 4 inch inlet to the air filter housing which you can’t see for the battery box. The snorkel had a 3 inch inlet which was a big restriction.

Run it without the MAF sensor n see what it does.... check MAF connector plug a multimeter for voltage and resistance check.

The MAF is plugged up and installed the right direction.

Did you change the MAF between setups?

Yes I went from a 3.5 inch to a 4 inch
That usually causes more air to get passed the sensor that is not measured and therefore air/fuel ratio is no longer correct.

That usually causes more air to get passed the sensor that is not measured and therefore air/fuel ratio is no longer correct.
The pinch point of air coming in before the air filter shouldn't affect anything. Double check everything unhook the battery for a few then start it back up and let it run for a minute.

The pinch point of air coming in before the air filter shouldn't affect anything. Double check everything unhook the battery for a few then start it back up and let it run for a minute.
Not sure if you misunderstood or if I did. But if he changed the MAF housing pipe diameter it will absolutely cause an adverse effect. OEM parts have a certain piping diameter that would allow a certain range of airflow to be read accurately by the MAF sensor. However, if you change the size of the MAF housing then not all air that passes will be measured. In turn it won’t be able to read how much air is coming in after a certain point. This is usually around 5 volts. When you increase the diameter of the piping, you allow more air to flow over the 0-5 volt MAF sensor without overwhelming it with more air than it is designed to read through the change in electrical current as air passes over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom