8x Series V8 Swaps (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed; maybe in near stock form. I'm sure there are a tons of variables that play into it. You're running a 5.3, 6,0, 6.2? Not sure how much that plays a difference, but assume it could.

He's running the 5.3L / 4L60E.

What are you getting with your 6.2L / 6L80E?

He's running the 5.3L / 4L60E.

What are you getting with your 6.2L / 6L80E?
It's been a while since I calculated it. I'm probably closer to 12ish. In theory, perhaps I should be doing better and there might be area for improvement, but with double the stock HP and same mileage, I always figured that was a fair trade off.

Just put a bigger fuel tank.. and call it done....
It is smiles per miles.......

How are you guys calculating .are you using the trip odometer ,How accurate is your speedometer especially with custom axle ratios and bigger tires

How are you guys calculating .are you using the trip odometer ,How accurate is your speedometer especially with custom axle ratios and bigger tires
I calculate at the pump with odometer. My stuff is accurate via Mark’s4wd digital calibration box.

What's the current consensus/is there one on wiring harness and ECU approach? I'm in the planning phase and I'm leaning towards a Holley Terminator X Max over a factory ecu and harness. I like the idea of a fresh new harness and the handheld for the live gauges etc.

I'm not scared of wiring so would be fine to modify a stock harness or buy a plug and play harness etc but are there any advantages to the stock ECU I am missing?

Will be LS1 5.7 (probably out of a Commodore - I'm in NZ) and 4l60e

What's the current consensus/is there one on wiring harness and ECU approach? I'm in the planning phase and I'm leaning towards a Holley Terminator X Max over a factory ecu and harness. I like the idea of a fresh new harness and the handheld for the live gauges etc.

I was going to go with the Terminator X Max until I realized it would eliminate the emissions provisions and OBD2 (I have a 1996). Not sure if it matters in NZ.

I was going to go with the Terminator X Max until I realized it would eliminate the emissions provisions and OBD2 (I have a 1996). Not sure if it matters in NZ.

Thankfully that doesn't matter here - we don't have emissions testing (well we do but its only for visual smoke out the tailpipe).
Engine swaps here have to be 'Certified' which basically means you pay a guy $1000 to check over your work with a fine tooth comb and if its all good he attaches a plate to your firewall.

I am still trying to decide on mine. I am looking at Cam options right now too. Why? Cuz I want to go fast.
Thought I have been thinking of the Sniper.

I am still trying to decide on mine. I am looking at Cam options right now too. Why? Cuz I want to go fast.
Thought I have been thinking of the Sniper.
Definitely cam it. :popcorn:

1621918280445.png

I'm not scared of wiring so would be fine to modify a stock harness or buy a plug and play harness etc but are there any advantages to the stock ECU I am missing?

Will be LS1 5.7 (probably out of a Commodore - I'm in NZ) and 4l60e
My input is that being universal they lay out like crap and have connectors in places you might not like having them. What I’m getting at is you’ll want to blow it apart and rework it like you would a factory harness so not anymore plug and play than using a OEM harness.

Been on a quest to get this LM7 running cooler. Added a 4core aluminum radiator, run cool hood louvers, and a dual speed Lincoln Continental electric fan (still need to wire). Hopefully this keeps it closer to 200 instead of 215 plus..

B245EAE4-9EDB-4ECD-84E1-089192545D14.jpeg

64F30088-FF1D-41A4-A889-4C8E90C3ECA0.jpeg

Has anyone here running a Gen4 with the GM ECM taken their vehicle through OBD2 emissions?

My tuner said he can flash my VIN to the ECM, but that there might be an issue with the EGR reading not ready (since the Gen4's don't have an EGR system).

So what kind of mileage are you guys getting? I think I have the MAF curve dialed in pretty well, but haven't done much with the rest of the tune other then setting tire size (33"), etc. I'm getting about 11.5 mpg around town - I did better then that with the 1FZFE! Does a bit better on the highway - 16.7 mpg on a 60 mile run the other day.

I found part of my MPG problem.
I have a flexfuel engine and had turned off the fuel composition sensor and some other flex fuel related stuff with HPTuners. But in comparing my ECU file to a downloaded file for a similar engine, one thing that stood out was the default fuel composition. This is the % alcohol the ECU uses if the fuel composition sensor fails on a flex fuel vehicle. On mine it was set to 38% vs 0 on the downloaded file for the non-flex engine. I had figured that if you disabled the other flex fuel stuff, it would ignore this. But decided to check that.

I set the default fuel composition to zero, filled the tank and checked the MPG again and got about 13.3 MPG. Still not great, but that's about a 16% bump. Butt dyno says the throttle response is a little better too.

is that radiator of ebay ? how is the quality of it ?
Yes it’s eBay. Seems legit. I know a few guys local to me running the same radiator. They have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom