8x Series V8 Swaps (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@tmxmotorsports

1571423598955.png

1571423627616.png

ok having read this thread in its entirety.. you guys have convinced me to do a l99 with 6l80 into a RHD 97 80 series.
Currently has the 4.2 turbo diesel.

Its gonna be an interesting story lol

ok having read this thread in its entirety.. you guys have convinced me to do a l99 with 6l80 into a RHD 97 80 series.
Currently has the 4.2 turbo diesel.

Its gonna be an interesting story lol
Why get rid of the diesel? If you need more power change injectors and turbo. A lot of people would kill for that setup.

exact reason why you guys want the diesel, we want the v8 power lol.

our market is JDM heavy. the v8 reliability with modern technology is the attraction. willing to ship the engine and tranny if someone is interested in it. Also have a surf with a 1kz with tranny if someone wants that

Started getting into wiring this weekend. Where did ya'll put your ECM's? I'm thinking it needs to go on the passenger side but I think then I'll have to shorten and lengthen some wires for it to come out that way when I rework this in.

Started getting into wiring this weekend. Where did ya'll put your ECM's? I'm thinking it needs to go on the passenger side but I think then I'll have to shorten and lengthen some wires for it to come out that way when I rework this in.
I deleted my abs, so my pcm is where the abs contraption used to be.

I deleted my abs, so my pcm is where the abs contraption used to be.

i also did the same however with my suspension work happening shortly im moving it into the cab

Ok, so having some trouble getting things to fit. I have a Gen3 5.3L LS engine, 4L60 transmission, Marks adaptor, HF2 transfer case. Trying to make it fit in my 93 FZJ80.

I have the transmission crossmember bolted up to the adaptor. Got a passenger side bolt into the crossmember ok, but had to pry, and shift, and curse to get one in the driver's side.

But now that I did, it's clear the engine isn't where it needs to be. It's hard against the firewall (actually the AC line) on the passenger side.

And the front of the engine is way to far to the driver's side.

And I still can't get most of the bolts into the crossmember.

Any idea what's going on? I thought bolting up the crossmember would pretty much put the engine where it needs to be.

So I worked on this today. First, the studs on the transmission mount are not centered front to back - and Murphy had his way, so mine were the wrong way around. But that only got me about a centimeter, so still slotted the transmission crossmember a bit. Now it's sitting better.

How are you guys connecting the shifter to the 4L60 transmission? Someone up thread mentioned a Trailblazer cable, and some fabbed brackets, but that was for a 6l80.

Do you remember what year?
It should be any year. They all had console shifters. I ordered a ACDelco one from rock auto.

The main mod needed to make it work is popping the shift arm the cable attaches to off the trans (it points down) and flip it to where it points up.

How are you guys connecting the shifter to the 4L60 transmission? Someone up thread mentioned a Trailblazer cable, and some fabbed brackets, but that was for a 6l80.

I used a long Lokar cable (5'?). It was pretty straightforward and came with the needed brackets.

Is there any good builds to soak up knowledge about buying a crate motor -- what list of parts I need to acquire for all brackets and stuff to get from junkyard, etc?

you can see some pictures how i did it page 2 and 3
i also made another bracket what i attached to floor i can't find pictures of it but it must be moved back enough so you sifter # matches the gear in the transmission it took me some time and you need two people for that fine tuning

Is there any good builds to soak up knowledge about buying a crate motor -- what list of parts I need to acquire for all brackets and stuff to get from junkyard, etc?
I dont think so due to so many variables of options in a swap. Emissions compliant or not, manual or auto, etc. Stating your basic goals of the swap and budget would help.

What are you guys running as far as engine Temps? I'm running at around 190 to 195. I feel like it should be running warmer from what I've read. But the hottest tstat I could find is 187.

Depends on ambient temps. In colder weather, mine seems to run in the 190-195 range. Warm weather, 195-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom