8x Series V8 Swaps (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't want to ask anything specific but I figured that the ECM for the land cruiser would all together be removed but the BCM needed to stay in tact. Besides oil pressure, water temp, speedo and RPM wires going to the dash what needs to be kept on the ECU? Again, I dont mean to get specific. My research is still in its baby form.
ECU goes away. The same bundle of wires that that passes through the firewall to the ECU on the passenger side carries the stuff for the gauges and the wires for the center diff lock on the T-case. There is also 1 wire in the bundle that you'll use to fire up the "key on" stuff for the LS to run.

What year is your truck?

ECU goes away. The same bundle of wires that that passes through the firewall to the ECU on the passenger side carries the stuff for the gauges and the wires for the center diff lock on the T-case. There is also 1 wire in the bundle that you'll use to fire up the "key on" stuff for the LS to run.

What year is your truck?

Yea, thats what I thought. I have a 95. I have an EWD and a FSM. I need to work out a couple more things on the motor and tranny before I start the swap. I have a crap ton of vacation days saved up so I might just take a week off work in the next couple months to try and get everything done. I'm sure you'll be getting DM's from me that week lol

Hey, I'm researching an LS swap. I was looking at how the toyota adapter housing has an alignment bearing and shares the same fluid with the transmission to lube the bearing and the spline shaft coupling. How does the conversion deal with lubricating the shaft coupling? is there a bearing in the Marks adapter? If so, how does it get lube?

Hey, I'm researching an LS swap. I was looking at how the toyota adapter housing has an alignment bearing and shares the same fluid with the transmission to lube the bearing and the spline shaft coupling. How does the conversion deal with lubricating the shaft coupling? is there a bearing in the Marks adapter? If so, how does it get lube?
The marks adapter doesn't have a bearing, just the adapter shaft and a seal for the tail of the trans.

The marks adapter doesn't have a bearing, just the adapter shaft and a seal for the tail of the trans.
Interesting, I wonder if the adapter is still part of the transmission fluid circuit?

Are you supposed to use grease on the stub shaft splines?

So the 4L60E I bought didnt come with a torque converter. I'm also having trouble finding one online even through car-part.com. Any suggestions on a brand or more specificaly a stall? Putting the filter of a 05 Pontiac GTO with the 6.0 liter on summit racing gave me a cheapest option of 800 bucks or so. Really don't want to go that route unless I have to. Any input is greatly appreciated!

So the 4L60E I bought didnt come with a torque converter. I'm also having trouble finding one online even through car-part.com. Any suggestions on a brand or more specificaly a stall? Putting the filter of a 05 Pontiac GTO with the 6.0 liter on summit racing gave me a cheapest option of 800 bucks or so. Really don't want to go that route unless I have to. Any input is greatly appreciated!
This might work for you.

Go to a transmission shop and ask to buy a remanufactured one. Should be 150-250 plus core charge.

As for stall speed stock (1800-2200) is fine unless you put a camshafts in it.

Since im in my last details on my LQ9/4L65 swap; I want to raise the question I havent seen discussed.

What are the weakpoints for this new drivetrain in our rig? - I know no swap is the same; but in general terms, what should we look out for to make it as reliable as the stock drivetrain.

Electronics/Wiring?
Fuel pump?
Cooling?
Waterproofing?
Any Toyota-Chevy interface to be extra careful on?
LS weakpoints to carry a spare?

Most of us do trails/overlanding on remote locations, so Im curious if any of us had some issue we can all learn from; for example in my case:
- Loose transmission line caused a hell of a smoke show and nearly cought fire at the road
- Mech Fan-shroud clearance was a issue on high temperature/thottle test runs

Any other details gone wrong in short/long term with this swap you can share with the rest of the group that has these swaps, so we can double check and keep an eye on?

-Emerson.

Map the location of every one of your grounds. Twice I have had instances where it would turnover, but no start. Both due to intermittent ground.

Last edited:
I know this is next to impossible to answer but less try.
Using junkyard parts and doing 90% of the work myself. Will the LS swap be close in cost to just rebuilding the stock motor?
I've got a rod knock. I really want a LS swap, but i wasn't "ready" for the rod knock to happen now. I hoped that i could do it in a few years. not now.

Using junkyard parts and doing 90% of the work myself. Will the LS swap be close in cost to just rebuilding the stock motor?
I've got a rod knock. I really want a LS swap, but i wasn't "ready" for the rod knock to happen now. I hoped that i could do it in a few years. not now.
It can be running down the road for 6k.

so you get engine from junkyard throw it in drive it for one mount and engine starts knocking
i m not saying it will happen but since you have engine for bit extra $ you rebuild the LS engine and you r good to go

You can do if for 6k. I would start with buying a 2wd LS powered truck or suv. Research the toyota and GM wiring diagrams thoroughly and take notes and do the same in regards to headers, cooling system, shifter, oil pan, etc. Basically make yourself a organized step by step instruction booklet. When that's done, get to work.

I did mine for about $4500
Nice! That's pretty reasonable.
I've been looking for a checklist for the fj80 ls swap?.. Part numbers and such? I've got a handful of items sorted out but I'm sure there's something I'm missing. Does anyone in here know of any such genaral checklist that pertains to the fj80 ls swap?
I know my build will end up being different as I'm interested in using an Atlas 2-speed transfer case instead of the Toyota. Also converting the front axle to selectable hubs.

Nice! That's pretty reasonable.
I've been looking for a checklist for the fj80 ls swap?.. Part numbers and such? I've got a handful of items sorted out but I'm sure there's something I'm missing. Does anyone in here know of any such genaral checklist that pertains to the fj80 ls swap?
I know my build will end up being different as I'm interested in using an Atlas 2-speed transfer case instead of the Toyota. Also converting the front axle to selectable hubs.
Wont the atlas put your driveshaft in the middle? Are you going to do a custom rear axle or just run the driveshaft at an angle?
I would also be interested in some sort of a list if anyone has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom