80 Series GIS Skid now available - HuddExpo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe welding it on defeats the propose of maintianace and drive shaft removal. Now once I have a model I could just as easily cut a custom one of steel. On request. It could be welded or bolted. Up the end user. I’m a while (couple months) off of getting it to market as just an FYI.

Is this english?

oK EVEN THO i THINK lcp IS RIGHT ON IT, i WANT TO RUN THIS NEW SKID but i ALSO WANT TO ADD A PLATE THAT LOCKS IN AND BOLTS UP YA FOLLOW ME SO i WOULD TAKE A PLATE WELD A LIP ON IT SO IT WOULDNT just BE BOLTED ON THE MONSTAH CLOCK OVER 7k AND BOLTED ON PLATE WOULD PROBABLY BE A DAMAGE MULTIPLIER. ANY OF YOU DESIGNEREY GUYS HAVE AN IDA? BECAUSE this new skid is mint other wise, beatifully built light as a liberal in cambridge go to go View attachment 1951044View attachment 1951045

For me the primary advantage of the Hudd Expo skid is it's existence in time and space. I ordered and it shipped. It's about to be bolted on to my LX by husband man. As the old saying goes "A skid plate in hand is worth two in an order queue" I ordered an IPOR a nearly month ago and still waiting. No problem. It will eventually materialize. I love the IPOR currently on our 80 and being new to wheeling, I hit it frequently as onlookers grimace. But the fact is I can't utilize a skid plate that doesn't exist yet and I can't seem to speed up the rate at which I am moving forward through time. Even if I have husband man add an additional plate to Hudd Expo for the transmission, we are still way ahead of the game. My plan however is to simply learn to drive better. The bigger question for me is what am I going to do with an extra IPOR skid once it finally does arrive? Maybe we can add it to our great shelf of unused things that arrived too late.

That's what I've been debating I've got some ideas but haven't started to prototype any pieces yet
well with a future add on in mind Im going to go ahead and install this and lighten up my truck by at least 80lbs.

I had a full belly plate prior and all my contact/damage was the sides of the belly none at the tcase. Making the new skid perfect for where I go. The trans pan is ~4" above the front LCA and the frame. It appears to me if you are able to make contact with your trans pan you will be forced to go back and pick a new line or your rear driveline will be next in line for damage.

View attachment 1949587

My control arm hangers see plenty of abuse but nothing on the trans or the center on the lines I pick. It will interesting going forward for my belly gave me more clearance at the tcase then the new set up but Im liking the new set up better.

View attachment 1949593
Whats that beast weigh?

That big belly pan

My notes say 45lbs much heavier than the Hudd replacement I can tell you from my solo install :wtf:. In the past I bent the belly pan something I feel will be much more difficult with the new set up. At this point I feel the guys at Hudd nailed it for my needs.

Last edited:
I feel the guys at Hudd nailed it for my needs.

I will be running it on mine, as soon as we have any left over after customer orders:) I agree, @cjmoon nailed the design and I am very happy to be involved getting it to market.

Couple comparison on my before and after

Before
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2795.JPG

After

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

I will be running it on mine, as soon as we have any left over after customer orders:) I agree, @cjmoon nailed the design and I am very happy to be involved getting it to market.
I noticed on the site they are available for pre-order to ship on or around April 22. I'd love to have it in time to get it together and mounted before leaving for Cruise Moab on the 25th which probably isn't realistic. That's ok. When do you anticipate having inventory in stock to ship after that since I'm guessing the pre-ordered ones will sell out?

I noticed on the site they are available for pre-order to ship on or around April 22. I'd love to have it in time to get it together and mounted before leaving for Cruise Moab on the 25th which probably isn't realistic. That's ok. When do you anticipate having inventory in stock to ship after that since I'm guessing the pre-ordered ones will sell out?

Yes, our dates for the DIY are still 4/22 and the welded/coated version for 5/13. We are trying to beat both dates as there is quite a bit of interest and already a handful of pre-orders. I will have a better update Monday or Tuesday and we will do what we can to get them shipped as quickly as possible. I am cautiously optimistic that you could have yours by the 25th if you get one pre-ordered. We have enough of both versions being cut that you probably don't need to order right now, but as the release dates approach, I do expect them to sell out. I will also post back here with quantity updates as they sell.

Thanks,

David

Yes, our dates for the DIY are still 4/22 and the welded/coated version for 5/13. We are trying to beat both dates as there is quite a bit of interest and already a handful of pre-orders. I will have a better update Monday or Tuesday and we will do what we can to get them shipped as quickly as possible. I am cautiously optimistic that you could have yours by the 25th if you get one pre-ordered. We have enough of both versions being cut that you probably don't need to order right now, but as the release dates approach, I do expect them to sell out. I will also post back here with quantity updates as they sell.

Thanks,

David
Thanks. It's not critical that I have it before the 25th so if it's going to be that close, I'll probably just wait until after Moab and order then. I'll check back with you and if it looks like they are at risk of selling out, I'll maybe pull the trigger sooner. Thanks again

Glued my DIY kit together today. Just realized I didn't take one photo of it in progress, and currently the paint is drying. As said before mine required modification which was a big part of why I was intrigued by this one. I will be welding the two spacer plates to both the frame and my link brackets tomorrow before bolting it all up, just for extra strength. They are cut to fit snug, I notched the skid loose.

Overal it's a good kit. In all transparency I was surprised at how poorly it arrived packaged, but that may be a one off as I believe I got the first DIY one. Everything made it, and that's the important part. The fit is pretty good for the pieces, but it's no 4x4labs kit. I know it's a skid plate, but the cut marks along every edge, and the not quite round/smooth holes were a surprise. As it stands it's a great value and I'm happy with it, and I'll be reporting back on its durability without a doubt. All in all it seems to be worth the $290, it arrived super fast, is definitely well thought out, and doesn't weigh a ton.

Glued my DIY kit together today. Just realized I didn't take one photo of it in progress, and currently the paint is drying. As said before mine required modification which was a big part of why I was intrigued by this one. I will be welding the two spacer plates to both the frame and my link brackets tomorrow before bolting it all up, just for extra strength. They are cut to fit snug, I notched the skid loose.

Overal it's a good kit. In all transparency I was surprised at how poorly it arrived packaged, but that may be a one off as I believe I got the first DIY one. Everything made it, and that's the important part. The fit is pretty good for the pieces, but it's no 4x4labs kit. I know it's a skid plate, but the cut marks along every edge, and the not quite round/smooth holes were a surprise. As it stands it's a great value and I'm happy with it, and I'll be reporting back on its durability without a doubt. All in all it seems to be worth the $290, it arrived super fast, is definitely well thought out, and doesn't weigh a ton.
In Hudd defense 4x4 labs was a ton of work and fitting in the beginning. I’m sure fitment will improve in time. Did you make any changes?

In Hudd defense 4x4 labs was a ton of work and fitting in the beginning. I’m sure fitment will improve in time. Did you make any changes?
I have no doubt the DIY ones will improve, I know about Luke's struggles getting going. I built my bumper 6-7 years ago, and that's my comparison for this. There were no real major issues, it was just small things that surprised me.

The packaging I assume will change, from what I can tell either I got the first DIY kit, or a 3rd one was found after. Like I said, the important thing is that it all arrived. The changes I had to make were just to make it work for my application. You do have to be able to fill some gaps when burning it together, and be careful with the het overall. Being 1/4" it can warp if you just go to town on it. That's where instructions could help someone who may not know that, or isn't that proficient at fabrication.

Like I said, I'd recommend it so far. We will see how well it holds up to the abuse I will be giving it, but I have confidence.

Good feedback, thank you. Yes the DIY packaging could be better and all 3 shipped differently, trying to figure out a good way to package. I’ll have a different box size coming with my next box order but that could be after the next round.

As a skid plate, I decided the added cost of having parts laser cut vs the CNC plasma process I used was not worth it and didn’t add any thing but visual appearance and cost. worth it on bumpers and peices that you interact with daily, but for a skid that hopefully sees rocks more than eyes on it I couldn’t justify the added cost. I know some would disagree but had to go a direction and thought this would reach more people staying on the cost conscious side.

I’ll work on packaging.

UPDATE:

There are three DIY kits available and will be ready to ship tomorrow. Welded/coated versions still on target for 5/13.

You can order them here -

DIY

Welded/Coated

Thanks everyone.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom