74 PA PIG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok @bobm says more pictures. What @bobm says, @bobm gets. His awesome replacement parts made this a possibility and a reality for us amateurs. Some continued discovered rust. Driver's side A Pilar
View attachment 2181327
Odd spots to work on.
View attachment 2181336
View attachment 2181337
Front Fender
View attachment 2181347

Time to fire up the grinder! Next step is to cut out the bad stuff.

These photos make me.feel like i got.off lightly with my rust issues..

Took the rig down to bare metal. Forgot to mention in the uncovering the mysteries of car, found the rear driver's corner dimpled like golf ball. Guessing someone dented it and tried to pound it out?
img 53.jpg

Time to star cutting.
img 46.jpg

img 37.jpg

img 51.jpg
img 52.jpg

And yes we did replace the bad floor supports you can see in the picture.

Wow! Loving this thread. Good luck!

You really should tie them pillars together. To minimize movement!!
Thanks Bob, I got it. Had read about that on previous threads.

Sorry these pictures are not necessarily in order. Remember we started the project over a year ago and was taking pictures along the way. Pictures are not in real time. Some may be months apart.

For the thread I wasn't sure what would make the most sense? Figured I'd show all rust, cuts, steel replacement, welds etc. Worked in areas until completed: strip, cut, weld. Moved to the next section.

Wonder if it’s too late now? May have to tack stuff together and do a trial door fitting before final welding.(?)
All is good. As mentioned those pics are about one year old. Much further along at this point. Most of the replacement steel and BobM parts are in. Doors fit well. I'll give my friend the credit, he's the brains of the project.

Some more rust removal. Floor areas
img 3.jpg
img 48.jpg
img 38.jpg

One of my favorite pictures. Was cleaning the garage and realized this is a cool picture of some weathered PIG parts. Should have saved them all for one shot. Could have made a decent pile!
img 10.jpg

You have a similar approach to myself
You work out how much work there is when you’re up to your eyeballs
Awesome dedication!

You are certifiably crazy to do this, it make no sense.
BUT I applaud and salute you bringing this 55 back to being good. Wonderful. Future owners will greatly appreciate your work. Keep documentation for them as that truck will last a long time, due to your efforts. You are making "provenance" for that vehicle.

You are certifiably crazy to do this, it make no sense.
BUT I applaud and salute you bringing this 55 back to being good. Wonderful. Future owners will greatly appreciate your work. Keep documentation for them as that truck will last a long time, due to your efforts. You are making "provenance" for that vehicle.
Can't let this one die. I don't recall ever seeing one. Even growing up? It's such a unique vehicle. Almost bought a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer just before the build when I realized I have the same type of vehicle sitting in my garage. Why not take the money and put it into something even cooler.

This PIG has a good drivetrain w/overdrive, front disc brakes, power steering, nice headliner and a good interior. I figured that's better than most. I have a few older vehicles and when purchasing my big picture primary area's when buying are, drivetrain, body and interior. No big secret there. One out of the three is usually cheap and probably not worth the effort. Two out of three for a reasonable price is more like it. Three out of three is the homerun but typically too expensive for purchase. This 74 has two out of my three criteria, drivetrain & interior. I can seem to find the funds in small increments rather than a big initial payout. Plus the wife can't track the small money!

Granted if anyone ever asked I'd tell them if possible buy a vehicle already done. Let someone else spend the time and money.

As far as future owners go......this will go to my kids. I hope they keep it when I'm gone? If they don't it would be funny to see how quickly they sell it and for how much? I guess I'll never know.

This is giving me hope for my 73 FJ40. Reminds me of all the years I spent resurrecting air-cooled VWs. Glad to see another eastern PA guy on here

This resto won't win any awards but we'll do the best we can, with the what we got. Goal is to extend the life of the PIG, not have a garage queen. Picture of my high tech body shop along with top of the line fabricating tools. Also had a tractor trailer tire rim for radius's.
img 55.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom