63 FST Tie Rod, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake and Tailight Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

63cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Working on repairs to a 1963 40FST. This is my first 40 and i am not a mechanic. From what i can tell, 1963 was complicated for the 40's. I have attached a picture. From what i can tell, i have the dual sided turn signals, black face instrument cluster, aftermarket heater, no badging other than the black toyota sticker, and everything else appears to be pretty original and i would like to keep it that way. The two most common comments. Make sure steering and brakes work. On those lines,
1) I am going have the knuckles and wheel bearing redone. We will also update the steering linkage. We will rebuild the center arm. It does not appear tie rods ends are made for this year anymore and i need to buy a new tie rod. Do i need to buy a new relay bar as well? What about the drag link?
2) The brakes feel fine and work well. (well for drum brakes anyways). Should i go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder even if it works? Is it foolish to not switch to the later model double cylinder? Also, anybody have a source for early model rubber brake lines at the wheel?
3) The rear lights are hung from the body and not from brackets. I haven't found a picture on mud of the early 25 body mount brackets but i think mine are not original. The bumper brackets appeared in 1964 but does anyone have a 63 with the bumper bracket? Anybody know where i can find some old brackets?
4) What fuel sending unit can you use on these earlier 40's?
5) At one point there was a thread about the double sided turn signal repro lenses but the thread was really old. Is anybody making those?
IMG_8213.jpg
IMG_8215.jpg
IMG_20170120_135144610_HDR.jpg
IMG_8213.jpg
IMG_8215.jpg
IMG_20170120_135144610_HDR.jpg

That truck is cool. Love the t-bird on the hood.

What is that box hanging on the steering column?

Last edited:
Does that thing have the Darth Vader light?

This should be in the 25 series section. Let me know if you'd like me to move this thread over there.

The hood ornament is from a FJ25, dual sided turn signals are from a earlier FJ40 and do not know of anyone making reproductions lenses. That rear view mirror on windshield is from a 68-77 FJ40. Probably what is considered to be a 64 model made in 63. 63 model FST had different soft door opening. They also had smaller tail lights. Was common to use parts from other years since most were easy to add. Lost track of how many years I have parts on my 68.

Looks like a tape deck slide mount. Remember 8-track tape decks? :)

This should be in the 25 series section. Let me know if you'd like me to move this thread over there.
If that helps with answers, i don't care where it is. The vin is stamped 3FJ40 and it didn't have the angled doors so wasn't sure it should go there.

Up to you. The 25 section is a hangout for 25 & early 40 guys & gals. You may be well served over there. But you can stay here too. @Living in the Past hangs out over in that section a lot.

Those guys are wizards with the early Cruisers.

Really cool truck. I love it. It seems to be very complete.

No, it's aftermarket. There is a similar one under the work bench in my father-in-law's garage. He used it in a Travelall in the 60s.

They actually tap into the hydraulic lines....:slap:

Looks like it. What is teh bracket for next to it?
View attachment 1404919

That is the Darth Vader light in the correct location. Original fuse block with metal cover.

A very old trailer brake controller.

Scary what people. Use to tow with these things. My 68 the original owner tapped into the brake line and use the single circuit brakes to also control a trailer. Had about forty pounds of trailer hitch welded on.

The hood ornament is from a FJ25, dual sided turn signals are from a earlier FJ40 and do not know of anyone making reproductions lenses. That rear view mirror on windshield is from a 68-77 FJ40. Probably what is considered to be a 64 model made in 63. 63 model FST had different soft door opening. They also had smaller tail lights. Was common to use parts from other years since most were easy to add. Lost track of how many years I have parts on my 68.

Yup, I've never seen a 63 from the factory with dual sided turn signal lamps. In fact I've seen late 1962's that didn't even have them.

Also, the tailights were mounted to the rear crossmember, not the body like FJ25's.

Interesting that it has the Toyota decal on the rear sill. I've only ever seen those on 64's.

Yup, I've never seen a 63 from the factory with dual sided turn signal lamps. In fact I've seen late 1962's that didn't even have them.

Also, the tailights were mounted to the rear crossmember, not the body like FJ25's.

Interesting that it has the Toyota decal on the rear sill. I've only ever seen those on 64's.

Fifty years later hard to say for 100% what came original with the 40. Latches to hold up the windshield appears to be what we call 64-67 model. Rear view mirror wasn't used until the 68 model.

The museum's 1962 40 has dual-sided front turn signals with the housings body color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom