63 FST Tie Rod, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake and Tailight Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So is there consensus that this is a late 63 production making it a 64 model even though frame and title say 63? It seems like every early model 40 has a few early/later parts. If i am replacing/updating, i would like to be as correct as possible.

Any body got any answers on my questions? Looks like I have the wrong turn signals but i can't see giving them up if i can find some lenses. I have one clear and one read. From what i know the clear was actually amber back in the day.

The leading 3 indicates 1963 year model. The production reference material I have starts in 1964.

Look and see if your rear end is centered. '63 last year. '64 had offset. Also look to see if trans is sideloader or top loader.
IMG_0971.JPG

I have NOS lenses, depending on how much stuff you're buying.

I have these too.
IMG_0972.JPG

I haven't seen part number labels like that since I started in 1979.

Look and see if your rear end is centered. '63 last year. '64 had offset. Also look to see if trans is sideloader or top loader.View attachment 1405068

I have NOS lenses, depending on how much stuff you're buying.

Centered differentials changed By frame number not a year, I have that information somewhere. Posted it before but I'll dog it out again. The two sided turn signal lenses threaded into the housing. No gasket but a O ring.

The leading 3 indicates 1963 year model. The production reference material I have starts in 1964.

Indicates manufactured year. Model year could be 1964 if it's a late 1963 production

I love threads like this!

This should be in the 25 series section. Let me know if you'd like me to move this thread over there.
Up to you. The 25 section is a hangout for 25 & early 40 guys & gals. You may be well served over there. But you can stay here too. @Living in the Past hangs out over in that section a lot.

Those guys are wizards with the early Cruisers.
Hey Rigger, i'll take you up on the offer to move this over to the 25 section. I am hoping they can help with some answers to my questions so i can get some parts ordered.

Done!

The location of this thread isn't the problem in obtaining answers, in my opinion. The problem is that very few people, if anyone at all can answer your questions off-hand definitively because so many parts have been discontinued, and the ones that are still available both new and aftermarket may or may not interchange---the sending unit is an example. The fact that Toyota's parts books don't list pre '69 stuff adds to the collective amnesia (even among vendors) about what is correct, what fits, what interchanges and what does not.

I could search threads and come up with some answers for you. But so can you. Ultimately with cruisers this old you have track down the stuff yourself rather than rely on others. Call or search the websites of every vendor you see referenced on Mud. Search eBay, Craigslist and the classified sections here daily. You will find everything you need---eventually.

It takes a lot of time to learn what is what with these old cruisers. Just posting a thread expecting ready answers may not be realistic.

The location of this thread isn't the problem in obtaining answers, in my opinion. The problem is that very few people, if anyone at all can answer your questions off-hand definitively because so many parts have been discontinued, and the ones that are still available both new and aftermarket may or may not interchange---the sending unit is an example. The fact that Toyota's parts books don't list pre '69 stuff adds to the collective amnesia (even among vendors) about what is correct, what fits, what interchanges and what does not.

I could search threads and come up with some answers for you. But so can you. Ultimately with cruisers this old you have track down the stuff yourself rather than rely on others. Call or search the websites of every vendor you see referenced on Mud. Search eBay, Craigslist and the classified sections here daily. You will find everything you need---eventually.

It takes a lot of time to learn what is what with these old cruisers. Just posting a thread expecting ready answers may not be realistic.

This answer is so simple and complete, it's like poetry.

1) I am going have the knuckles and wheel bearing redone. We will also update the steering linkage. We will rebuild the center arm. It does not appear tie rods ends are made for this year anymore and i need to buy a new tie rod. Do i need to buy a new relay bar as well? What about the drag link?

if you look in my build thread on annie, i'm pretty sure i listed the pn's i used for the steering rods/ends. do them all and be done. check to see what style center arm you have. your rig has been somewhat bastardized, but i doubt they changed out the early center arm and kits are very hard to find for those now.

2) The brakes feel fine and work well. (well for drum brakes anyways). Should i go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder even if it works? Is it foolish to not switch to the later model double cylinder? Also, anybody have a source for early model rubber brake lines at the wheel?
i would rebuild all the cylinders and be done with it, especially if you can find kits while they're still around...they're getting scarce too. going dual circuit isn't just bolt in. you have to split the front and rear lines and the ends will be larger (7mm v 8mm), so you'll have issues with all the lines threading in everywhere. for the soft lines, i had my local parker store rebuild mine.

3) The rear lights are hung from the body and not from brackets. I haven't found a picture on mud of the early 25 body mount brackets but i think mine are not original. The bumper brackets appeared in 1964 but does anyone have a 63 with the bumper bracket? Anybody know where i can find some old brackets?
in the picture, you can see the bolt holes on the rear crossmember where the stock taillight brackets bolted on

4) What fuel sending unit can you use on these earlier 40's?
never put a different on in, is the float the issue? i've seen a bunch cracked, if so, let it sit over night with the crack down and you can braze it again, or, in my thread, i think i posted a ford or chevy float that i used, i just had to bend the wire that holds it a little tighter

5) At one point there was a thread about the double sided turn signal repro lenses but the thread was really old. Is anybody making those?[/QUOTE] i don't know if it panned out, i think it was a limited one time run if it did and you won't find them. yours should have the single sided round turn signals, which are still available, about $40 ea.

now, lets see more pics :)

You should go period correct and get rid of those dual sided turn signals and sell those to me. I'm a lucky guy, have reproduction lenses but no housings. :bang:

Do one thing at a time. Get it running well, do the brakes, steering etc. and then start with the less important things like lighting, fuel sending unit etc.

As an update, it does have an offset diff. So looking more and more like a late 63? I have ordered a whole new Tie-rod Set up from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. I have also ordered the center arm rebuild kit and some seat covers from SOR. We are not sure the sending unit is bad but where going to replace it while the seats were out. May just leave it for now. We still have a lot of work to do on the wiring to get everything working.

Actually I meant upholstery. Going with the coral including new foam. The old ones were white and shot. Also powder coating the front seat frames pewter but not sure that is 100% correct. The jump seats were shot and found a pair on eBay that had been repainted pewter. Will be looking for an early steering wheel once I get all of this work paid for. I think Mark has a few that might fit my needs. Mine is crumbling and split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom