63 FST Tie Rod, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake and Tailight Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think he should come to the museum and peruse our buff 62 FJ40 so he can see what it needs to look like when he is done...

The bracket under the dash ... I'm going with an under dash ashtray ... looks a liitle bit different from the typical one I've seen from Hollywood Accessories ... but... that's what I'm going with :)

Btw I do not see any holes for an antenna mounted... are there? :)

Johnny it is definitely a radio slide bracket. Trust me, I violated my Dodge Power Wagon with one of those over 40 years ago....:doh:

The leading 3 indicates 1963 year model. The production reference material I have starts in 1964.

Not to contradict... but... we have seen quite a few with frame number before model years on a few vins

Here are two 1963 cruisers with 2fj40-xxxxx vins

But... I will give you the radio bracket LOL :)

IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

:lol:

I think he should come to the museum and peruse our buff 62 FJ40 so he can see what it needs to look like when he is done...

Were it only that easy . . .

Enough substantive differences exist between the '62 in your museum and the subject '63 here that a facsimile would be incorrect.

To say nothing of the subtleties.

Have you seen our '62?

on the vins, the preceding number on the frame indicates build year. the vin plate will have the "model" year stamped in it. hence the reason we see so many vehicles that say they are 1963, but vins begin 2fj40. back then, the rigs were sent to distributers. they got the vin plate stamped when they were sold to dealers. annie is an original 1962, but considered a 1963 by title. can't remember who, but someone owns the rig three numbers older than annie and his is a 1962 titled as a 1962. therefore, his rig was sold to a dealer before annie, even though anni is older.

make sense ;)

@cruiserdan...are you talking about fjffjfjfjs old rig? it is beautiful. not 100%, but about as close as can be.

Yes, that is the truck. Most likely as correct as possible. I get fuzzy every time I get near it.

If a sow's ear was ever actually turned into a silk purse this is it.......

Yes, that is the truck. Most likely as correct as possible. I get fuzzy every time I get near it.

If a sow's ear was ever actually turned into a silk purse this is it.......

Yes @fjfjfj truck is nearly 100% as it gets ... there were a few little things that only us would know about ... but... you can tell everybody else it is 100% because they will never tell :)

I am very grateful that he did not skimp out on his build ... he took all of our suggestions and ran with it

It is a fantastic truck

Still annoyed he did not trade me straight up for mine ... I don't think I could ever forgive him for that LOL

Early cruiser like @63cruiser truck are so much cooler than the run of the mill

Look forward to seeing this build up

Have you seen our '62?

While not in person but it was well documented here. A some piece off of one of my 61s is on that 62. I can't remember if it ended up with the correct instrument cluster or not. Besides the build thread there were a few separate threads, one being on the cluster.

While not in person but it was well documented here. A some piece off of one of my 61s is on that 62. I can't remember if it ended up with the correct instrument cluster or not. Besides the build thread there were a few separate threads, one being on the cluster.
iirc, it still had a black cluster, so not correct, bumper was a later model, starter green shade, and no metal cover on the fusebox(but if anyone finds one, i could use one ;) ). those are off the top of my head....but i'd drive it in a heartbeat :) it's is freakin' sexy!!! did he ever do spark plug wires minus boots?

i have hopes that someday maybe annie will be that sexy, but she's too good at the moment as a driver. i hope to finally get the 45 shorty driveable this summer, and after that, it will get a mild body off rebuild. and get the fzj55 done...then i'll consider annie (being completely original except for the carb; she would be a perfect rig), but there's just not enough time :(

Last edited:
So... the double sided turn signals are likely not correct. Two options here, sell these and get a pair of correct turn signals and spray them lily white or get lense replacements for these. I know they are currently unobtanium. Found an old thread on the koito lense 1046 and 1047 replacements. "Toyota Heritage" out of Australia has mocked them up but needs an original signal to test fit. Not sure how to post a link to that thread Koito L1046 and L1047 lenses . Not sure I want to send my only turn signal halfway across the world. Anybody have spares? also will be looking for the taillight brackets for 63. Theses were the Bibb lights with the red lense correct?

I have coral seats for from sor going on. Next decision is the soft top. As the truck is lily white, what colors were "original" in 1963. I have access to an original white Kayline Oem replacement that is perfect condition and never been installed but white on white may not be such a great look. Thinking of a trollhole canvas or sunbrella top in green or tan. Thoughts?

I have coral seats for from sor going on. Next decision is the soft top. As the truck is lily white, what colors were "original" in 1963. I have access to an original white Kayline Oem replacement that is perfect condition and never been installed but white on white may not be such a great look. Thinking of a trollhole canvas or sunbrella top in green or tan. Thoughts?

Mine is a '66 Lily White under the knife and when I get to the top I plan to ask Trollhole for a tan canvas, I think it will go well with the coral. I would grab that Kayline top too if I were you.

Can we go back to the beginning for just a minute; what is the complete vin stamped on your frame, please?

No big surprise---I am confused. Indications suggest---the front door-style opening, the off-set rear differential, the TOYOTA sticker on the sill---that you have a 1964 model year. Yet you are contemplating keeping parts unique to a 1961 and 1962 model year (the front turn signal housings) and you are hunting for tail light brackets and tail light lenses that fit a 1963 model year, even though the 1964 model year changed to a larger diameter rear lens and housing. At the same time you mention wanting to keep things "original." But . . . original to what year?

Those pleats Specter sews (or has sewn) into their upholstery is a fine example. What year did the factory start putting pleats in the seats?

For ideas on the soft top color I would definitely consult this thread: *** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository)

Then again, if originality is not your goal then knowing which parts go on what years is mere trivia.

I don't have the vin number with me but i will check. I think it was around 3fj4018644 or so but it is definately a 3. Based on SOR's frame numbering (if it is at all accurate), this would definitely be a 63. With that said, i have found no literature 63 cruiser to see pictures for what was "original" to a 63 fst. All pictures of soft tops are either 62 or 64. Clearly this is not a 62. While i am still new to this, it seems as though there is consensus that "original" for a 63 could mean many different things. I do know that since is it is a 63, it should have a stampled bezel, different hood and different front lights and different rear diff. It appears that the original hood may have been damaged as the radiator inside is bent up as well. That could be the reason a PO used the 25 hood with the Tbird emblem and lack of a stamped bezel and wrong signals.

Well, that calls in to question everything I thought I knew about distinguishing a '63 fst from a '64 fst, then. The vin indicates 1963 but visually the body and most everything else indicates 1964.

Beats me, man. Sorry to be of no help.

This might help a little. Anybody want a 63 FJ40 FST project ??????. Georg at Valley had one years back with a little higher vin and similar details. After reviewing that thread, not sure mine should have the stamped bezel since i have the toyota on the grille. Could that explain the non centered diff as well? The pictures in that thread do not show the tail lights but the turn signals are definately single sided with the three screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom