60 knuckles on 40 axle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m building a disc brake axle for my 45. I’m piecing together 60 knuckles onto an axle tube from a ‘74 55. I had to grind the inside of the axle tube for the birfields to fit. All that’s done and I’m assembling the knuckles out. I discovered that when I install the hubs that there is no room for the outer snap ring. I could see this happening if the 60 knuckles are wider than 40/55 knuckles. Does anyone know if this is expected or problematic?

Thanks,
Mike

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

did you already thread an M8 bolt in and try to pull the birf out to install the snap ring?
Are the locking hubs from the 60 or the 55? 55's had the long-body Aisin hubs.

I did. Should have taken a pic of it. I pulled and moved it maybe a 1/8”. But it needs to move out more like over 1/2”. I dunno

Post 42 maybe helpful.

you can do the washer trick or get short body lockouts. So you are using what year 45 third & axles ? Also I see the dowel pins missing from the hub, you really need those in & fit proper or you will shear all 6 studs off sooner or later whichever lockout you end up using the dowels need to be there.

Thanks for the help guys. The pic is with the short body Aisin lockouts on it. And the dowel pins were in the body of the hubs. I don't know, maybe I need to take everything apart again and be sure to keep constantly pulling the birfield out as I'm assemblying. Maybe I'll try that on the other side first to see if it makes a difference.

The third and inner axle tube is from a '74 55.

Last edited:
You may have another difference, you say you have 1974 fj55 birfs & inner axles ? I am not sure but I do not believe the fj55 birf & spindle use the same bearing/support for the stub part of birf in back of spindle? That may be causing the birf to be short, not sure. Try putting minitruck birf on your inners ? OR IIRC there is a IFS hub that is short and works and accepts disc, again, not sure. A call to Cruiser Outfitters or Georg at Valley Hybrids would shed some light.

So, the long story on this cobbled mess is I bought a 40 disc brake axle sight unseen only to discover it was sprung over and welded spider gears. Blah …. Not what I want for my 45. I happen to have a spare front drum axle from a ‘74 55 in my parts pile with coarse birfields. So, I tore both axles down and used the third and inner axle tube from the 55 with the fine birfields, knuckles and spindles from the SOA 40. Then discovered the knuckles are from a 60. I had to grind the inside of the axle tube to make room for larger birfields. Got all that done, reassembled with rebuild kit from cruiser outfitters and am about 1/2” short of getting snap ring to fit with short Aisin hubs. I dunno. This whole thing has been a pita. Should have just waited for a different disc brake axle to appear.

I guess one question is what would happen if I reassembled without getting the end snap ring on??? Seems like maybe inner gear on hub might possibly slip outwards (unlikely) and 4wd not work???

And you are positive those are short body locking hubs?

If you can't use a snap ring then it's common to use a bolt and washer to hold the birf in the lockout.

And you are positive those are short body locking hubs?
I measured the height to be a tad over 1.75”. It’s really the width of the hub gear though that’s the issue. If the birfield stuck out a bit further or the hub gear we’re narrower, I could slip the snap ring on.

If you can't use a snap ring then it's common to use a bolt and washer to hold the birf in the lockout.
Yes, that’s what I’m expecting to have to do.

Thanks guys for the help!

Bolt and washer is common with warn hub and short 79 and later outer axles

With the short aisin hubs it is suppose to work with the snap ring , or something is wrong , like the spindle gasket is too thick 🧐

A short late model outer should be fine with a late model Aisin hub. The Warns are used for the early longer outer axles, thus the washer and bolt solution with the longer warn hub.

I did put in new brass bushings in the spindles from specter. I bought the bushings for 75-90 spindles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom