Intro and axle question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I've been lurking for awhile but after much searching, I finally purchased a 1978 FJ40 on the weekend. I've worked in the automotive industry in the past and have collected and restored many classic vehicles but this is my first FJ40 so I've got a steep learning curve. My FJ has Apr. 1978 on the tag and the 274XXX VIN on the tags and frame match this timeline as does the 2F 258XXX engine number. The cowl tag has FJ40LV-KCJK on it, which based on an old post here makes it a Canadian FJ40, which is consistent with what I know of it's history. Tag also has; 416 (Dune Beige), LE11 (Blk interior), H42 (4spd) and K052 for the axle......which would be 3.70's from what I can find on the 'net. So my question is; I had thought the 3.70's didn't start until 1979.......so if I have the 3.70's does that mean I have the later "mini truck" 1979+ Birf's too?

Thanks,
Dave

I'm not sure. If it was US spec it should have 4.11. 3.7 would be 79 and later. You could possibly measure the knuckle studs, and pull the rear-end cover to confirm the gear ratio.

A lot could have been changed or swapped in the last 45 years. Chalk the front wheel, put the tranny in neutral. Jack up the rear wheels and put a chalk mark on the drive shaft and the wheels. Rotate the drive shaft or a wheel - more than or less than 4:1 should be observed.

A lot could have been changed or swapped in the last 45 years. Chalk the front wheel, put the tranny in neutral. Jack up the rear wheels and put a chalk mark on the drive shaft and the wheels. Rotate the drive shaft or a wheel - more than or less than 4:1 should be observed.

True though the head scratcher is that the tag shows the K052 which is for the 3.70's and from what I can glean, that shouldn't be available on a 1978 which this clearly is.......I will definitely do the chalk trick at my first opportunity as well as comparing the knuckle pattern.

That really only works on a locked differential. An open diff can act differently.

It’s a Canadian rig and we got the 3:73 in ours in 1978
that’s is correct. Don’t listen to anybody else. It’s fact.lots Of crusier guys in Kelowna. Cheers.
4:11 was only in our BJ40 that year 1978.
US didn’t get BJ40 either. I’m telling you the facts.
yep yep. Tag is correct

Last edited:
It’s a Canadian rig and we got the 3:73 in ours in 1978
that’s is correct. Don’t listen to anybody else. It’s fact.lots Of crusier guys in Kelowna. Cheers.
4:11 was only in our BJ40 that year 1978.
US didn’t get BJ40 either. I’m telling you the facts.
yep yep. Tag is correct

Some 78 canadian fj40 got 4:11 for sur, when i was younger i swap my 79 3:70 gear to get 4:11 from a 78

Transition year for 3:73 was 1978 for Canada
and 1979 for the US.
but what year did we get the fine spline pinion
in Canada 1979 like the US ? I didn’t see the fine spline pinion very often I never owned anything later than 1978. oh
with the Square pinion flange also , hmm

Ok so I have the small pattern knuckles. I'll have to wait for when my son stops by to check the ratio but I'm 99% sure this is the original axle so I fully expect to find it has the 3.73's as per the tag. Sounds like a Canadian thing. I let you all know for sure when I can. Thanks again.

Transition year for 3:73 was 1978 for Canada
and 1979 for the US.
but what year did we get the fine spline pinion
in Canada 1979 like the US ? I didn’t see the fine spline pinion very often I never owned anything later than 1978. oh
with the Square pinion flange also , hmm
I read that the US got the fine spline in '78?

Didn’t read the whole thread but just jack up one tire rotate it two full revolutions and count the driveshaft revolutions ,under 4 then 3:73 just over 4 then 4:11 unless it happened to have a locker. Then only need one full revolution of the wheel ,easy peasy 😁

3:70 and 4:10 ratios for Toyota, Too many people thinking Dana for 3:73's and 4:11's. Never seen anything else personally.

Last edited:
👇

Screenshot_20231205_100321_com.android.chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom