Builds 60 Frankenstein Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh. can you list your measurements along with what trucks uourbparts came out of?
I know my 62 high-pressure fitting is M16x1.5 but now that I think about it I've never touched the return side, I bought the M17 fitting for the return but haven't gotten around to installing it yet (I run aeroquip AN line for the high-presssure side and willnfor the return just so they match)

I have a new 62 high pressure line under my bed I'll pull it out and measure it in a few minutes.
Matt, I overlooked your question about the parts. My steering box came out of an 87 (the rolled white one) and the PS line's I'm using are from a 62 Partout here on MUD. I have another steering box that came off McGuires 60 frame he was using. He told me that was an early 60 box as the bolt pattern did not fit his frame. I believe he used a skinnier bolt to solve that problem. Regardless, that box has the same ports as the one I pulled from the 87. Let me know if I'm leaving anything out. Thanks again for your input.

Matt, I overlooked your question about the parts. My steering box came out of an 87 (the rolled white one) and the PS line's I'm using are from a 62 Partout here on MUD. I have another steering box that came off McGuires 60 frame he was using. He told me that was an early 60 box as the bolt pattern did not fit his frame. I believe he used a skinnier bolt to solve that problem. Regardless, that box has the same ports as the one I pulled from the 87. Let me know if I'm leaving anything out. Thanks again for your input.

The frame patterns are separated in the years like the bellhousings, 81-84 have their own pattern then from 85-90 and the 80 series share a different bolt pattern. I was under the assumption that all 85-90 steering boxes were the same.

Matt, your too technical for me :). What measurements would you like to see? Hell, I don't even know which side is the high pressure. I just screw them in. I know the port closest to the engine is larger by .5MM (roughly) than the port on the fender side. Let me know if I need me to dig deeper for you.

The high pressure line is the one that with no connections on the line itself besides where it connects to the box and pump, whereas the low pressure side is mostly rubber hose sections that can be replaced. Running the high pressure through that would blow the rubber hose right off. On the box, the high pressure is the port closer to the fender and the low pressure port is closer to the motor. That sounds like it is the M17, a super odd size that makes no sense to me.

I know for a fact that Jim has a pretty fancy bolt & thread gauge.

Anyway... I didn't think metric bolts came in half sizes. Maybe the thread pitch is different?

There are some weird metric sizes that you don't usually see in normal application. Thread pitch wouldn't alter diameter.

Right...MAtt has a ton of knowledge and the technical terms are a bit over my head most of the time. Guys like Matt are the ones that will take this hobby to the next level. We need more like him.

I'm gonna blush.. I'm just reiterating knowledge I got from PSC and here. Plus, steering boxes and pumps and lines and stuff are super fresh on my mind right now as I'm currently in deep planning stages for the steering and hydraulic system on my 62.

I'm in business. Talked with Matt on the phone and now I'm up to speed on which line's are high pressure vs. low and where they go. Bottom line is I had them backwards and Matt saved me from further issues down the road. Thanks for your help Matt and it was good catching up with you.

I was under the assumption that all 85-90 steering boxes were the same.

Sounds like it's sorted now, but to be clear, the late FJ60, FJ62 and FJ/FZJ80 PS boxes have the same bolt mounting pattern, sector shaft tooth count at the bottom (interchangeable pitman arms) and the same fittings for feed and return. I've run all three on my truck throughout the years (FZJ80 box now), all bolt in and out.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's sorted now, but to be clear, the late FJ60, FJ62 and FJ/FZJ80 PS boxes have the same bolt mounting pattern, sector shaft tooth count at the bottom (interchangeable pitman arms) and the same fittings for feed and return. I've run all three variations on my truck throughout the years (FZJ80 box now), all bolt in and out.
Yep. Johnnie I have no problem admitting my ignorance. I now feel a bit smarter having gone through this excercise :). What got me is the high pressure line was difficult to get started in the HP port. It went into LP port easily (and vice Versa). Working with Matt I made several attempts and it finally caught a thread and went in.

Great news...Mcguire and I set the motor in the correct location. Not that we had doubts :) but mounting the fan shroud is a good test. Everything line's up perfect. It's a 12HT shroud as well. Just have to do the rear heater line's and I can put fluid in and run it for more than a few seconds. Also have a 62 gas pedal on the way and then I should be able to juice it from inside the rig. Started working on the evaporator core last night. Should have that swapped out and loaded up by tomorrow. The original case had an old repair
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
so I took another bottom half from a donor off the shelf. All the insulation is good etc.

Nice! Evaporator wasn't too hard right ?

Nice! Evaporator wasn't too hard right ?
Much easier than I thought it would be. Just need to buy the other 3 pieces (dryer, condenser sand a new compressor).

That reminds me I should treat myself and get my A/C working. Only thing needed is a relay to turn on the electric fans when the A/C turns on. Going on Summer number three without it.

That reminds me I should treat myself and get my A/C working. Only thing needed is a relay to turn on the electric fans when the A/C turns on. Going on Summer number three without it.
That's Brutal Cim. Need to make that a priority :)

IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.PNG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
Got all the line's hooked up and started adding coolant. Figured out pretty quick that I had a problem with the vacuum pump on the alternator. It started spurring oil out of the vacuum line. Turns out my return line was kinked. The wall had collapsed from 32 years of being bent at a bad angle. To my surprise I had an OEM one I bought from Roma a year ago. Blind luck! My first message was to Roma and he stated the pump is hard to screw up. I took it apart and he's spot on. Simple mechanics in that housing. Actually very similar to my impact wrench. Creates pressure with veins tossing around inside the housing. From there I found some posts (Australian website) explaining the mechanics of the pump and it all made sense. Sorry I don't have pics of the internals. Hopefully my son will post a recent video. It seems to be running ok so far.

That's awesome! So glad to hear and see another engine video today... makes me feel less alone w/ that old tractor sound they make (I know yours is way steps ahead of my 2F but it's close!) Keep up the great work!

That's awesome! So glad to hear and see another engine video today... makes me feel less alone w/ that old tractor sound they make (I know yours is way steps ahead of my 2F but it's close!) Keep up the great work!
Too funny Felicity. Appreciate the encouragement.

I drove mine to work tonight and home. She ran quite well. Not perfect but really no glitches at all. Strong and sturdy. Big smiles.

I drove mine to work tonight and home. She ran quite well. Not perfect but really no glitches at all. Strong and sturdy. Big smiles.
Awesome news Felicity. I've been following your updates. I know this has been a battle. So glad to see things going on the right direction for you.

IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
Lacking on the updates. Got the doors painted. I'll do a couple posts as I believe there's a 5 pic limit. I've been working on the headliner the last few days (not full time). This has been an interesting process. Not as hard as I thought it would be. I'll get to that in a second. As for the paint, I feel it came out pretty good. Will give it some time and then flatten it out up to 1200. The longer I wait the better the buffing job will turn out.

IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
Now for the headliner. You may recall I cleaned it with Oxy Clean and the power washer about a year or two ago. So then I rolled it up and bagged it. I rolled it out the other day and popped it in. With the help of @CaptClose we prepped and installed Thermozite as an insulator. Essentially just plugged in the rods from back to front. Then stretched and glued around the pinch welds. Again...working from back to front. I did install the lights, grab handles, rear view and one sun visor (all I could find). This helped align the roof liner because of the original holes. I've worked my way just past the C pillars. Still have to stretch and glue the front half of the cab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom