4508 - Ultra4 Racetruck Build

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by snivilous, May 21, 2017.

1. snivilous

snivilous

Quick run down without any photos, I'll go into detail and stories later.

I raced in the EMC on Thursday (Feb 8) in the 4500 class. Everything was solid, at remote pit 1 we found out the tie rod was bent so tried to take it easy after that. At cougar buttes the tie rod got REALLY bent, so we were stuck for about 2 minutes until someone ran into the passenger front tire and I guess unbent the tie rod. Got through cougar buttes (only rocky section on lap 1), front diff was leaking a ton. With that in mind we took it easy, tried to keep the truck around 20-25mph until we looped back around to remote pit 1. The truck sounded horrible like something in the back was broken. At remote pit 1 it turned out the rear links were super loose, the front diff was literally falling out and multiple studs were sheared/missing and the top of the diff was hanging away from the housing. My team fixed all of that and put a jack under the tie rod and got it bent back. Went to fire the truck up and the dash started smoking. Turned out someone had incorrectly mounted the jack back to the cage and had hose clamped the fuel pump wiring harness shorting it to the cage. Fixed that and we were off. Probably 4-5 miles later we lost power steering. Pull over and turns out one of the hoses had cracked and puked everywhere. Repaired that and we were chugging again. Top speed was like 60 or 62mph, which I think we hit in the lakebed there in the whoops. I didn't want to go that fast but didn't know we did (tracker said our top speed) but our GPS had died and we were cruising in 3rd or 4th gear at 2000rpm or so and the truck was totally happy through the whoops (we shocked tuned a LOT and were able to pass a lot of people with a lot more horsepower since we just ate the whoops up). Got to back door, fell down/drove down it since I decided to floor it with like 3ft left before the bottom. Think we bent the tie rod again right there. Go up and over the hill, and then had to go up the qualifying course. On the far left line, get up it, look over and realize the right line looks super easy. Looks hard to reposition though. I try to crawl the left line but not enough traction. Back up and give it a bump and the front left tire comes up and we do a 3/4 roll to the passenger side so we end up laying on the driver's side. Get out, try to winch it up the qualifying rock hill with it laying on its side which the Harbor Freight winch didn't like. Some dudes come to help, they roll us over and we still have time to make the lap 2 cut off. Put it in reverse since we're like screw it, we'll just go around the qualifying hill (we're literally 200yds from our pits), and the everything just grinds. We have 1WD, maybe 2WD. Something in the front and something in the rear is broken. I think the front diff is blown and a rear shaft. We didn't have the ability to fix that within the next few minutes before the lap 2 cut off so just called it. Had to be winched backwards down the hill since we didn't have enough traction. Drove to the main pit and that was the end! Did 62 race miles and got within a 1/4 mile of finishing lap 1. No real mechanical failures the whole time. We had a back up tie rod built and sleeved that we were gonna swap in at main pit which the tie rod was the only thing that was causing issues, and then I rolled it. I guess a bunch of cars had rolled on that section, and I had never even been on that hill so had no idea what the right line was or where I should go or if I should skip it. If it wasn't for that we had been making decent time actually and really moving along considering how stock the truck is. Packed up last night and headed out today. Staying in Cedar City for a few days. Truck still runs and drives. I'll tear the axles down next weekend which will dictate if I keep them or if bigger stuff is coming soon. Once i get pictures I'll post them up! Thanks for the support everyone!

[​IMG]

Qball, Ronny Grady, 2fpower and 11 others like this.
  2. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    Badass man! Great run.

In this class can you run any axles you want? Just have to have the stock mounting locations?

snivilous and ExpoMax like this.
  3. BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84 SILVER Star

Wow. Nice job. Think how much you learned in 62 miles.

snivilous likes this.
  4. snivilous

snivilous

Not even that! The only class limitations is there has to be a mechanical steering linkage (like hydro assist is allowed but not full hydro), 37 DOT tires, and max 14" 2.5 shocks. Drivetrain and powertrain are unlimited. I could have 700hp and rockwells if I wanted.

If a diff is blown I'll probably just replace that whole axle (or both). I don't want to build new diffs, I'd rather save the money for tons or custom gear. If it's just shafts that are blown I'll probably fix them and just keep running these axles. I want to save some money, and the rest of the races are short course so don't necessarily need beefy axles. But by the next KOH regardless I want tons or custom axles. I blew two shafts during the race, I bent the tie rod 3 times this week, I blew a birfield apart prerunning, I literally lost a rear shaft because I sheared all the pins and studs and it fell out somewhere, the front housing might be bent, etc. I like these axles, but for racing they will need a lot of money and work to do what I need--and that's with a stock engine!

5. baldilocks

baldilocks GOLD Star

Awesome stuff!!

snivilous likes this.
  6. jcardona1

jcardona1

Kudos for taking on a huge challenge like this. It's amazing how fast stock parts fail in these grueling conditions.

snivilous likes this.
  7. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah I totally understand that. If it is that wide open and you obviously don't mind fabricating it would be stupid to stick with 80 components.

snivilous likes this.
  8. DIGLERZ

DIGLERZ SILVER Star

Congrats for taking that challenge on.. I look forward to seeing you back out there again next year..!

snivilous likes this.
  9. MTKID

MTKID

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats Toby! I am super impressed how close to the race you were still working on seemingly big stuff (like fuel) and still did so well. Lots learned and now a bit of time to work on things and thoroughly test. :clap:

snivilous likes this.
  10. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    Between this thread and the thread in the 200 series forum it REALLY makes me want to do something like SNORE Stock Full Production. It is much more strict, all stock suspension even springs, but you can run any shocks, wheels and tires you want. You could theoretically get down to 4570lbs and I think run a TRD SC since it was from the manufacturer. I wonder how competitive a 4570lb 80 with a SC could actually be lol. I guess not very when you compare it to the 200 which could be 5302lbs and run the TRD SC on it's big V8. :-/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    snivilous likes this.
  11. tacosupreme

tacosupreme

I don't believe they allow forced induction on anything other than diesels, and it has to be the factory turbo. It would be a fine platform for Stock Full.

12. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    "SCR32 Superchargers and Turbochargers are allowed as long as it was factory installed."

I guess TRD doesn't count as factory installed, but would be nice. But if you could get to a race prepped 4570lbs that would be a lot less weight to lug around. Could be cheap fun. lol

13. tacosupreme

tacosupreme

Nothing about racing is cheap. Ask the OP.

snivilous likes this.
  14. snivilous

snivilous

Here we go, story time!

I headed down to KOH on Monday January 29th, 2018 and met up with my codriver where I-15 and I-70 converge and from there we made our way to St. George where we spent the night and arrived at like 3am.

[​IMG]

We bought a bunch of food and then made our way to Johnson Valley and showed up around 6pm Tuesday night. This was the state of the truck on Wednesday morning:

[​IMG]

You'll have to excuse my lack of photos, it was a pain to haul my DSLR around and taking photos was low on the priority list in general. My codriver brought his RZR down so we putted around on Wednesday in that and wrenched on the truck a bit. Tightening the bearing bolts, hub studs, number plates, etc. all had to be done so went through the truck a lot on Wednesday finishing stuff up. Thursday we started taking the 80 out and messing with it a bit and giving it a run down. Later in the day on Thursday we stumbled across markers for a race course which we weren't sure was for our race or someone else's (it turned out that everyone ran the same course). We went along the course markers for awhile and they lead into a canyon which I think was Wrecking Ball. Eventually the canyon got to a fork and we weren't sure where to go and didn't want to be out late so went to the right which looked easier (once we got a map it looked like the course/Wrecking ball went to the left and we ended up going over a saddle and down into Jack North). There was a rock obstacle that we couldn't make it up without winching, so tried to take an alternate line and ended up getting stuck between two rocks with maybe two feet of movement front to back before the tire carrier would hit a rock behind us. In an attempt to do a 3000 point turn we ended up blowing a birfield on the passenger side. We didn't have any gear or even the winch controller, so packed up and hauled ass and walked about 2.5 miles back to Hammertown where we got dinner and grabbed the RZR and recovery gear and went back. We hiked up Wrecking Ball and then had to winch three spots with the truck in 3WD but made it up and over the saddle and down Jack North and back to the RZR. It was actually the fastest and easiest gnarly situation you could do. Having to hike out and get back, but the weather is good, have to self recover the truck, but easy winching, and we were back before midnight. Whole thing once we got out of the RZR was less than 1.5 hours to recover the truck.

Thursday morning look over the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tire carrier mounts needed a lot more work but I didn't have time, I built the whole tire carrier in like 6 hours so the mounts looking weak af is because they are (but they did hold the weight of the truck!):

[​IMG]

And since I took a bunch of pictures of the truck after looking it over, here is a quick overview of the truck with the couple changes I did the week before KOH when I didn't post anything on mud:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we go to town on the truck Friday morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We go and get service and make a ton of calls. We have literally no spare parts. I just want to clarify I am on a TINY budget. I've seen people make comments before and met people who said stuff who don't realize that this is entirely a one man funded operation from a 23 year old who also built most of the truck while going to college last semester and working a job and then trying to find time and money to build it after that. So if you think I was/am totally out of my element and we were struggling to the max, well that is exactly how it was. No spare parts what so ever, bone stock axles and hardware, etc.

I called Kurt @cruiseroutfit and I cannot thank Kurt enough for everything he has done and helped me with during the build. I'm sure everyone here uses Cruiser Outfitters routinely, but if you don't you should! Kurt hooked us up with some earlier 80 series shafts but we would need a different flange cap (or hub cap, whatever the outer flanged spline thing is called). Luckily we had friends from SLC heading down on Saturday and they were able to pick the axles up Friday night. I then called my girlfriend who's dad works at Jim's Yota Yard in Denver which is a used parts salvage place and had her go there and find all the gear that Cruiser Outfitters didn't have that we still needed (tie rod, control arms, drive flange thing, etc.) Between Cruiser Outfitters and Jim's Yota Yard we got a ton of spare parts as well as the parts needed to fix the front end. Again, I cannot thank Kurt and Jim enough--I was literally at the point where I was prepared to run the race in 3WD since I didn't have the budget and resources to be getting brand new parts.

Friday afternoon we were scheduled for our tech inspection and ended up getting teched in 3WD with the front end put together but with the passenger birfield yanked. We failed tech for some basic things, for example the crotch belts needed to be folded back on themselves one more time, the vent line needed to fully wrap the fuel cell, and the biggest thing was six tubes needed to be capped off. The top nerf bar, A pillar, and D pillar needed to be capped which I didn't realize was a requirement. Some guy's from Sky's Offroad ended up talking to us and happened to have some round caps that were perfect for the cage which they gave us which helped a ton! They also told us that Esab and Ruffstuff would be set up with welders and it'd be no issue to meet tech.

Saturday we went into Palm Springs to pickup our buddy from SRQ Fabrications who had flown in and also grabbed a bunch of supplies like more fuel line for the vent (the vent ended up using 23ft of fuel line alone). We were told we could finish tech by Wednesday, so we weren't in any rush but planned to fix everything over the weekend and on Sunday we got everything fixed (minus the axle, my girlfriend hadn't shown up with her parts yet) so Monday we were able to pass tech and get banded! With the truck banded we could focus a bit on prerunning and dialing the truck in. I pulled the driveshaft so we would run it in 2WD to make sure the front diff didn't have issue with only one shaft and not to get any weird pulling effects.

[​IMG]

And I'll take a break from writing at that point..... Still a lot more carnage to come before the race even started!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  15. jcardona1

jcardona1

This stresses me the f#*k out. I can't believe you do this for fun haha.

2 E L O, pengfinn, skidooman and 2 others like this.
  16. nukegoat

nukegoat

And people say 40s on stock axles is a good idea

snivilous likes this.
  17. nukegoat

nukegoat

That means you went up Bender Alley. That's as hardcore as Wrecking Ball I think, if it makes you feel any better.

Yep, that's the hammers alright! Jack North down is pretty fun.

That's savage dude. And great work. I can't imagine how much effort that must have been to get it to that state. Kudos. And I think you mean you're on a TINY budget.

This is great. Keep posting. I appreciate the detailed journalism. it makes me pine for the hammers.

snivilous likes this.
  18. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Awesome effort Toby, we were all here rooting for you!

Foreigner, midfat, snivilous and 2 others like this.
  19. Charles4x4

Charles4x4

Loved reading this thread and seeing you on the live feed! My girls said “Dad, that looks like your 80 series - why can’t we do that!”

It’s been a dream of mine to run KOh EMC 4500 and i’ve Learned a ton from your thread.

Congrats and I hope to see you out there in 2019 (in a 3rd gen 4Runner - my 80 is way too nice :)).

AFE2610F-B132-4E12-9605-65CF8DA01418.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    snivilous and NateMob like this.
  20. Oscar Witte

Oscar Witte

Media:
    I saw your interview on youtube, nice job man. I would love to do that someday (not in an 80 though).

snivilous likes this.
Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.