4/76 FJ40 2F Rocker Side of Engine Two Bolts Below Distributor Oil Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I suspect these two bolts may be the source of small annoying oil leak. Can someone tell me the purpose of these two bolts and if there is some type of O ring or sealant needed here?

The blue oval are the two bolts.

IMG_2035.jpeg

They are what holds the oil pump to the inside of the block. Maybe take one at a time off, spray clean with carb cleaner, blow dry with compressed air and apply fipg to the circumference of the bolt, reinstall. Then do the other bolt!
yeah, more likely distributor oring / side cover gasket.

Last edited:
There’s other leaks above those bolts.

That just looks like oil cooler/side cover oil/coolant leaks.

Do not remove the two lower bolts, per....
First, a disclaimer:
The oil pump bracket bolts are heavily staked in place and should never be removed, unless there is access to the factory alignment jig that sets the oil pump bore perfectly in line with the distributor shaft.

I have pulled those bolts out of a junk block once. IIRC, they were a large, coarse thread. Prolly 12x1.75. The Pn for the bolts is 91212-41235, which indicates it is a 12mm bolt, 35mm long. There is also a special washer that goes under those two bolts, PN 97412-91200.

If the threads in the block are boogered, perhaps a 7/16 bolt could be passed through w/ a selflocking nut on the inside. Dunno if that would clear the crank though...

That just looks like oil cooler/side cover oil/coolant leaks.

Do not remove the two lower bolts, per....
Thanks for the link to the “Oil Pump Retaining Bolts” post.

I was not able to find these in any schematic or 2F manual.

Disclosure: The engine in the image is not mine. I used these images for illustration.

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I replaced my dizzy with a NOS non USA “small cap” OEM 19100-61010 that had new o ring so will investigate the oil filter housing. My 76 does not have oil cooler.

IMG_2042.jpg

Then i’ll inspect the side cover for leaks using corn starch. I typically use FIPG as gasket sealer. Is the Caterpillar Gasket Sealant you recommend the 4C9502 stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom