Engine Oil Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So took my FJ40 (1982) for a cruise around Toronto.

At a stop; I noticed an oil leak; it was a little more than just a few drops.... so it was concerning. Traced the oil to the 2nd spark plug. At least, that was the only wet oil stain that aligned with the oil on the floor.
MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg

Checked the engine oil level and it was fine. But my oil pressure gauge was moving between the two mid-lines. Normally, it hardly moves.

I have not been able to re-create the oil leak again; in the garage. Thinking the worst, but unclear what the issue might be.

Has anyone experienced this; any clues?

I might clean and degrease that whole side of the head so you can more easily visualize the leak if it continues. Might also pull that sparkplug out and look at the sparky end, paying special attention to how much torque it takes to get it started. And then put it back in, snuggly.
Might also put a wrench on the valve cover bolts and snug them up.
Then watch it some more.

you might be leaking from the oil galley plug in the head. Small plug the size of a BB. It’s common, so is the repair. Look in the FAQ.

you might be leaking from the oil galley plug in the head. Small plug the size of a BB. It’s common, so is the repair. Look in the FAQ.
That would be more back by cylinder #4 though wouldn't it. There's nuthin' near #2...

20231016_162446.jpg

20231016_162459.jpg

That’s correct, just tryna help my man out.

how is it running?
X2 on cleaning the area and re-checking
I'd probably remove the spark plug and have a look at it

I'm a fan of putting down some baby powder to find leaks - & all the above too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom